24.4 MP Nikon D3X DSLR on the way?

Started Apr 15, 2008 | Discussions
Georgi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,638
That's the way it was done in the old days

I had 5fps on my F1's but never used it. It was always in single shot mode

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226
Re: Will it not

Georgi wrote:

have worse noise because of smaller pixels and stuff?

Sure, but who cares?? This camera is made for low ISO and high resolution.

Personally I would love to see this megapixel race

stop because it benefits nobody.

12mp on the D3 is better than most cameras today with the same or more so if people quit going ga ga over MP's maybe we can get better cameras instead of MORE so to speak

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 64,361

Georgi wrote:

No, because noise amplitude (as viewed at a given magnification) is a function of sensor size, not pixel size. The smaller pixel noise is likely to give a finer 'grain' and therefore have a different visual characteristic, but the level will be the same. The theory says this is the case, as do tests of sensors identical apart from pixel pitch.
--
Bob

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 64,361
Re: Personally I would love to see this megapixel race

Georgi wrote:

stop because it benefits nobody.

12mp on the D3 is better than most cameras today with the same or
more so if people quit going ga ga over MP's maybe we can get better
cameras instead of MORE so to speak

If you want images where the resolution is limited by the optics, not the sensor, we're still not close to 'enough' megapixels. There seems to be little dispute that the 1DsIII can produce images with more detail than the D3, and there are photographers for whom that is a benefit.

There is no noise penalty at a given magnification, in memory and processing speed there is a penaly, which is why it makes sense to offer a low MPix/high speed camera and a high MPix/lower speed one. It's worked well for Canon, no reason it shouldn't work for Nikon.
--
Bob

Well, I mean all this bull

that's been going on with the PS cameras for instance. I got the H9 and boy was it a piece of shi* at 10MP

Then we have the D3 at 12 and Yes, I know there is a difference but people need to quit looking at MP like it was a stamp of approval of IQ.

People see my D3 ask, how many MP like that's going to tell them anything, geez!

noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,690

bobn2 wrote:

No, because noise amplitude (as viewed at a given magnification) is a
function of sensor size, not pixel size.

To a degree you are right, but noise does not not only happen on the sensor surface (or rather the actual, light-sensitive layer of the pixel) but also in the circuitry behind. And here noise might be proportional to the surface hull of a wire. Moreover, binning the luminance values derived from four pixels might not give the same smooth average as 'binning' the 'electrons' in the actual pixel surface.

freddyNZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,611

bobn2 wrote:

Georgi wrote:

No, because noise amplitude (as viewed at a given magnification) is a
function of sensor size, not pixel size. The smaller pixel noise is
likely to give a finer 'grain' and therefore have a different visual
characteristic, but the level will be the same. The theory says this
is the case, as do tests of sensors identical apart from pixel pitch.

Slowly, slowly, this will finally sink in and be accepted. Meantime debates continue on the Nikon forum that the D40 is better than the D60, the 350d better than the 450d etc etc.

If someone could please educate the ultimate authority on everything photographic, and he could post this revelation on his "What's New" page, then this whole silliness would end quickly. I nominate you to send him an email. Please.

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226
Re: Well, I mean all this bull

Georgi, pros and high amateurs that consider $5K+ cameras know full well of the benefits of 24.6 MPs. It is the trend du jour to say that high ISO is more important than high megapixels, but both have their purposes. If you're a magazine fashion shooter, 24MP is a very welcome addition. Remember what native print sizes are at 300ppi. If you're taking pics of your kid's soccer game for 8x10s, then 12MP is more than enough. If you're shooting for W magazine and the editor may very well crop your photo down, then 24.6MP is desirable.

danidentity Contributing Member • Posts: 737
Re: Actually 2..

Interesting. Do we know when this presumed 18MP FX camera is going to be released? What are the odds they release both the 24MP D3X and "small-bodied" 18MP FX camera (5D competitor) this fall, similar to last year with the D3 and D300?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads