24.4 MP Nikon D3X DSLR on the way?

Started Apr 15, 2008 | Discussions
Doyle Contributing Member • Posts: 627
Re: Well, I missed those and NO

Georgi wrote:

I dont' do the thing you just said, I am genuinely interested in the
reasons and what we would need it to do to buy it.

I personally don't know IF I need it but considering now according to
my website (photo hosting) the max prints they will do from my pics
are 20x30" I wouldnt' mind having more resolution IN case someone
wants something bigger or sharper assuming my lenses can deliver that
is

Then you might want to consider it. But we don't know its noise characteristics at high ISO. It also might be quite awhile till it hits the market.

I can tell you one thing on some 40" x 60" print tests (same scene) using raw files from the D3 and the 1DsIII (processed the same with Raw Developer) that I just did 21MP looked so much better.

Now here comes the D3 police!

georgeRC Contributing Member • Posts: 510
D3x - Nice but not magic

Georgi wrote:

I dont' do the thing you just said, I am genuinely interested in the
reasons and what we would need it to do to buy it.

I personally don't know IF I need it but considering now according to
my website (photo hosting) the max prints they will do from my pics
are 20x30" I wouldnt' mind having more resolution IN case someone
wants something bigger or sharper assuming my lenses can deliver that
is

What the lens can deliver will be the $64K question. With 24 MP and FF, diffraction will start to show up by f/11 or f/16 and many lenses have a sweet spot at around f/8 or f/11. So, for the largest prints, you should be shooting right near the sweet spot - only. At a pixel spacing of about 6 microns, the D3x if used for the largest possible enlargements will demand really sharp lenses with little choice as to aperture. Forget using DOF creatively, or to make focus less critical. Pretty near every parameter will be critical.

Also, more MP to process and high (let alone higher) fps? That really will require magic!

And finally, more MP without smaller pixel sites? How? And smaller pixels without more noise and being forced to lower ISO - not without major technology improvements, or that good old magic.

The D3x looks to be nice for limited purposes, but should not be anticipated to be a D3 with improvements in every category.

As always, a camera is the result of making many choices at the design stage; if the results match your needs, buy it. The D3x will be sweet for some purposes (If I had the money sitting around, I would love to have one.) but not all purposes.

Doyle, I'm sorry if I sounded like the D3 police - I just hope expectations don't go too high (newer with more MP = better in every way, so some seem to think).

georgeRC's gear list:georgeRC's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 +1 more
danidentity Contributing Member • Posts: 737
Re: Actually 2..

Thom Hogan wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

The rumour mill (well a Japanese one...) says there are 2 in the
works, a competitor for the upcoming replacement of the 5D
named 6D or 7D) entry level full frame camera, with a sensor between
18-20 MP and a full frame professional model, with a 24 MP sensor. I
guess we'll hear more during Fotokina

Specifically, 18mp.

Haha wait a minute, do you know something we don't? That Nikon is working on a competitor to the 5D, i.e. a small-bodied FX camera? At 18MP?

Or were you just guessing it likely will be 18MP?

Mel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,716
Exactly . .

The glass in front is always the key. Having more megapixels will give more capability of "more" resolute images. It will not however be an automatic thing as I think some believe and in fact, lens selection as well as shooting criteria (as has always been the case with SLR's) will produce the best results.

I think the idea that this camera will have 24 megapixels with the low capability of the D3 and frame rate, can be quickly thrown out the window. 2 different models for different shooting arena's. Each with the ability to perform under a variety of condtions "but" with specific capabilities to excell in their own niche. Basically low light and high resloution. No mystery here.

One camera is not going to cancel out the other. I think we need to think D2H and D2X. Now on steroids in these two models.

I wrote (in speculative error) some months ago that I felt Nikon was totally combining the 2 formats. While they have made the D3 very "all around" capable, it is still not the high resoluiton machine obviously needed for certain types of photography. The D3X will in fact shore-up this end of things (so to speak) and we as photographers will have the best possible in both worlds.
Thank you Nikon!
All my opinion of course.
--
Mel
http://www.mellockhartphotography.zenfolio.com
http://www.mellockhartphotography.com

Doyle Contributing Member • Posts: 627
Re: D3x - Nice but not magic

Doyle, I'm sorry if I sounded like the D3 police - I just hope
expectations don't go too high (newer with more MP = better in every
way, so some seem to think).

I know exactly what you mean. I had to deal with that early on with the Kodak 14MPs.

CamasJC
CamasJC Senior Member • Posts: 1,382
Or we will have a tough choice

While they have made the D3 very "all around" capable, it is still not the high resoluiton machine obviously needed for certain types of photography. The D3X will in fact shore-up this end of things (so to speak) and we as photographers will have the best possible in both worlds.

But only if "we" own both... (I like high rez but I also like low light)

...$11k more on camera bodies anyone?

I am sure Nikon wouldn't object...
--
John
http://www.JChristopherGalleries.com

DaveKl Contributing Member • Posts: 761
More interesting strings ...

These strings are at offset 2502372, 2502636 and 2502768 of BD3_0110.bin

Hi There
Jefe
what do ya want for nothing?

What do you suppose these mean?

Re: D3x - Nice but not magic

And this is exactly why I "hopingly" suspected that perhaps the intent was to offer both capabilities with one camera. (above thread with Thom). However, Thom confirmed the findings of others more scientifically aware (let's call it), that the D3X code infiormation in the firmware update doesn't jive with this as a viable possibility. In other words, it's there sure enough. But not as any hidden way to have a D3 be a low light cam and also a "multiplied sensor photosite" high megapixel cam.

I will have to be an owner of both also and while the business pays for the equipment, I would much rather put out another grand for an upgrade vs another 5 to 7K for an additional system.
--
Mel

Georgi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,638
Well, for one thing

I can't afford a second D3 right now and I always did say I was going to wait for the high MP version for a second body.

It would complement it better I think than just another D3

Well, for me the D3 IS it!

and I'm happy as a clam right now so personally, I'm good but I've always liked new and better stuff. I'm just a little weird that way (yeah, I'm the only one..)

Mel

Well, that wont' happen so you better start saving up your milk money

Re: Mel

Ha ha! Well, no need to save as it will be purchased like all my gear through the business making it produce and pay for itself. But I get your point of course and I have resolved myself to the reality of both.
--
Mel

deepsky63 Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: 24.4 MP Nikon D3X DSLR on the way?

So what is the 20.4, 13.7, 11.5 etc. Optional image qualities?

coudet Veteran Member • Posts: 4,101

What interests me the most is why 18mp? There's already one megapixel and noise reduction monster coming. Why do we need another one? What is so wrong with the good old 12mp that let's you shoot ISO6400 and has excellent IQ throughout the ISO range (which 18mp is probably not gonna have) ?

Thom Hogan wrote:

Specifically, 18mp.

M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,447

danidentity wrote:

Thom Hogan wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

The rumour mill (well a Japanese one...) says there are 2 in the
works, a competitor for the upcoming replacement of the 5D
named 6D or 7D) entry level full frame camera, with a sensor between
18-20 MP and a full frame professional model, with a 24 MP sensor. I
guess we'll hear more during Fotokina

Haha wait a minute, do you know something we don't? That Nikon is
working on a competitor to the 5D, i.e. a small-bodied FX camera? At
18MP?

Or were you just guessing it likely will be 18MP?

If you replied to me. I dont know anything, I'm not working at Nikon. So that is' why I ask someone who is 'working with Nikon.
So I only tell what me is told.

il mando Regular Member • Posts: 317
Re: Different sensor

Also in the rumor mill is a cheapo FF body in the work.

Yep. But I still hear this as being further out than the D3x.

Just to clarify for those who do not speak english well: what do you mean by "further out"? Does "out" means "out in the field for testing purposes" or "far in the future, after the D3x announcement/introduction"? I guess the latter, but I am not so confident in my foreign languages skills, so...

Also: do you think that a 18 Mpixel "entry level" full frame could maintain the wonderful job of the D3 at high ISO values? Or is the D3 specifically targeted at sports shooters and the whole D3-D3x-D3entrylevel lineup will be revealed in a while, letting finally people understand which is their appropriate body choice? Frame rate will be a significant difference, but high ISO could be another and pixel count a third factor. I have to admit that a 18 Mpixel entry level full frame seems overkill, and I would have been more than happy to see the D3 sensor in a D300 body (which is what all of the D300 owners would sell their mums for...).
Regards

Alfredo - Italy

il mando's gear list:il mando's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +5 more
ebsilon Contributing Member • Posts: 628
Re: Different sensor

il mando wrote:

Also in the rumor mill is a cheapo FF body in the work.

Yep. But I still hear this as being further out than the D3x.

Also: do you think that a 18 Mpixel "entry level" full frame could
maintain the wonderful job of the D3 at high ISO values? Or is the D3
specifically targeted at sports shooters and the whole
D3-D3x-D3entrylevel lineup will be revealed in a while, letting
finally people understand which is their appropriate body choice?
Frame rate will be a significant difference, but high ISO could be
another and pixel count a third factor. I have to admit that a 18
Mpixel entry level full frame seems overkill, and I would have been
more than happy to see the D3 sensor in a D300 body (which is what
all of the D300 owners would sell their mums for...).
Regards

Alfredo - Italy

I for one would definitely be severely tempted by an 18MP "cheapo" FX body ("cheapo" like in still out of my budget but not horrendously so?). 18MP should give a more useable DX mode pixel count compared to the somewhat limiting 5MP DX mode of the D3, providing a lot of flexibility in one body.

• Lens range is effectiely increased if cropping, e.g. an FX ultra-wide 17-35ish lens would reach 50mm in DX mode. Similarly, the 12-24mm DX covers the full image circle between 18-24mm AFAIK. A standard 85-100mm portrait lens would gain more flexiility wrt DOF, framing and prespective.

• No need to throw away the DX lenses, I would still be able to go light with e.g. my venerable 18-70mm DX

• Within the reduced image circle, one will not be limited by the 3:2 format, pick any format you like - square, 5:4, 4:2, 16:9

I hope the "cheap" FX doesn't appear until at least next year, because I couldn't justify the expenses right now .. but who knows next year?

Eirik

Frank C. Veteran Member • Posts: 6,667
Re: I was saying this months ago..

Rootbeer wrote:

AxelR wrote:

The following strings are in the D3's B-firmware file v1.10, starting
at offet 3'614'640:

6048x4032 24.4 M
4544x3024 13.7 M
3024x2016 6.1 M
5056x4032 20.4 M
3792x3024 11.5 M
2528x2016 5.1 M
3968x2640 10.5 M
2976x1976 5.9 M
1984x1320 2.6 M
D3X

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=24702543

Believe me now..?

yes I believe you, thank God you exist to set the world straight

zwobot New Member • Posts: 13
Re: 24.4 MP Nikon D3X DSLR on the way?
Thom Hogan Forum Pro • Posts: 13,659

coudet wrote:

What interests me the most is why 18mp? There's already one megapixel
and noise reduction monster coming. Why do we need another one?

Well, if people would stop buying megapixel upgrades I suspect we'd stop getting them ; ). But in terms of a mid-range FX body, Nikon would have two problems: (1) Canon's updated 5D, which is almost certainly more than 12mp; and Sony's A900, which is 24mp. The trick would be to provide "enough" resolution to make megapixel counts meaningless while maintaining some advantage in image quality (dynamic range, noise, and so on). I can imagine a scenario where Nikon takes their D3 sensor technology into more pixels with very little loss.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
editor, Nikon DSLR Report

author, Complete Guides: D40/D40x, D50, D70s, D80, D100, D200, D1 series, D2 series
http://www.bythom.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads