24.4 MP Nikon D3X DSLR on the way?

Started Apr 15, 2008 | Discussions
zwobot New Member • Posts: 13
Re: D3X on the way?

hmm, looks like I have to visit cologne this september ;))

Mel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,716
Re: Other concerns?

Well I can certainly understand this explanation better and especially the more detailed first paragraph. I again defer to the knowledgeable at hand here as far as the numbers and conclusions with your second paragraph.

Thank you for taking the time to explain what is apparently obvious to some however less so to many more. The bottom line you elude to and well, out right state is what perhaps matters most . . . a D3X is most certainly around the corner.
--
Mel
http://www.mellockhartphotography.zenfolio.com
http://www.mellockhartphotography.com

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226
Re: 24.4 MP Nikon D3X DSLR on the way?

The Sony will still thrive because it will be so much cheaper. The D3x will be somewhere between $5000-$8000, but the Sony is shooting for the Canon 5D area of price, so around $3000-ish. I think it's a good move from Sony, because putting the chip in a D3x will legitimize it's IQ to non-Sony users. It'll be like the old days when spending extra thousands of dollars on camera bodies got you bells and whistles like more AF points and lots of fps, but the IQ was the same for cheap and expensive cams if you used the same lenses and film. I, for one, am tired of needing an $8000 camera to produce the best high MP images, and with the Sony I'll be able to line-up next to a D3x user and know the IQ will be more or less similar. Sure, I may not be able to track cheetah flailing wildly about, but not a problem for me as a portrait shooter. lol.

If Nikon brings a D300 with the 24MP chip, THEN Sony will be in trouble.

Redteg94 wrote:

Wasn't this already expected? As soon as I saw the Sony 24MP FF
sensor I was sure it would find it's way into a Nikon Body, as well
as the Sony A900(?). Though, I did expect the Sony to be available
earlier, as if they want to compete in the DSLR wars they really
should be keeping some of their tech to themselves, no?
--
-Scott
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redteg94/

Hans Giersberg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,938
Everybody Was Saying This Months Ago

Thom has been predicting this for ages.

-- hide signature --

I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

Web Site - http://www.hgiersberg.com/

Troye413 Senior Member • Posts: 1,103
Re: An 18MP FX entry level Nikon?

J Mankila wrote:

I'm salivating. By the time it's published, I've probably dried up...

Well, the question is exactly what is considered 'entry level'.
Magnesium alloy body? Pentaprism viewfinder? AI coupling? Rubber
grip? Same AF system as in the D300 and D3?
--
regards
Janne Mankila, Finland

Some personal feelings about the full frame:
http://jannemankila.googlepages.com

If that camera EVER gets here, and has decent specs, I will pre-order one. That would be just about perfect for me.
--
http://www.pbase.com/Troye413

BJL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,154
If Nikon helps to sell those 24MP Sony sensors ...

headofdestiny wrote:

If Nikon brings a D300 with the 24MP chip, THEN Sony will be in trouble.

Or maybe not: Nikon would probably sell good numbers of them, far more than Sony can sell of its 24MP model, and a large share of the profits would go to the sensor maker, Sony.

Sony is potentially in a win-win situation as main sensor supplier to Nikon and DSLR maker.

BJL's gear list:BJL's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +8 more
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,334
Sony price?

Just wondering where the $3000 is coming from? Conjecture or has some numbers been released/leaked I don't see 8000 for the Nikon either, if the D3 makes money at 4800, how much more to put a new sensor in it?

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
bgbs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,195
Re: Me too...

Dude you could make more money in the comdey business than in photography

• Ben

Design is all I do.
bibikova.com

Rootbeer Senior Member • Posts: 2,311
Re: Everybody Was Saying This Months Ago

Hans Giersberg wrote:

Thom has been predicting this for ages.

Who is Tom?

Predicting or knowing..?

JP

Mel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,716
Re: Sony price?

The 3K came from here and nothing leaked or official like with most of this stuff. It is however a good guess.

Also as the D3 arrived around 5K (like all of the other flagships), it is a definite certainty that the D3X will be higher in cost and probably closer to 6K.
--
Mel
http://www.mellockhartphotography.zenfolio.com
http://www.mellockhartphotography.com

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 61,082
Re: What has Sony got to do with this?

Thom Hogan wrote:

Denyerec wrote:

I was under the impression that the D3 sensor was produced by Nikon,
and the D300 sensor was Sony's doing.

Correct.

What Sony has to do with the 24mp sensor is probably the same thing
we've seen before: from my reading of the file sizes, Nikon is going
to have a VARIANT of the new Sony sensor, one that does DX/5:4
ratios, possibly with higher frame rates.

Much more likely (in fact, I would say almost certain) to be a variant of the D3 sensor, with more pixels, for this reason: The Sony sensors have digital output, whereas the D3 has 12 channel analog output. The D3 and D300 image processing cards differ by the ADC necessary to digitise the D3 sensor outputs. If the D3 firmware now includes the D3x code (and this makes sense, in production and software maintenance terms) then it suggests very strongly that the electronics package is the same (otherwise there would be two firmware versions) and therefore that it uses the D3 style analog output sensor. If it used a Sony style sensor, one would expect the D3X electronics to be the same as the D300, and for firmware to be separated or, less likely, a variant of the D300.
--
Bob

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 61,082
Re: If Nikon helps to sell those 24MP Sony sensors ...

Now it seems that there will be a 24MPix D3x, I can't see any way that Nikon would build a 25MPix FX D300 - who would buy the D3x? Nor is a 12MPix FX D300 remotely likely, who would buy a D3? The other rumour of a low end 18MPixish FF with lower spec AF and slower frame rate seems more likely, and is most likely to be based on the D90 platform, if Nikon carry on with dual FX/DX releases.
--
Bob

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226
Re: Sony price?

Sony reps have stated many times that the fullframe will be in the same price category as the upcoming 5D replacement, so $3000 is an approximation to that, and the D3x will certainly be at least as expensive as the D3, but probably a bit more.

sandy b wrote:

Just wondering where the $3000 is coming from? Conjecture or has some
numbers been released/leaked I don't see 8000 for the Nikon either,
if the D3 makes money at 4800, how much more to put a new sensor in
it?

Georgi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,638
Hehehhe nt

George

Well that depends

on how much they can sell in their name and in the name of Nikon.

Would YOU pay 8 grand for a sony body?

I know you would for a Nikon

Here's another question

OTHER than more MP and higher resolution then, what do you expect the camera to do in order to justify buying it?

Just higher resolution?

Would you expect good or similar ISO speeds/quality?

Framerates?

I mean, if they have enough processing speed in there in the new model so that it could handle 9fps at 24mp, would that be enough to sell it to you or what?

I shot some kids baseball

the other day and let me tell you, 11fps is NOT enough to guarantee you'll catch that ball in the right position

Higher frame rates would be cool

Doyle Contributing Member • Posts: 627
Re: Here's another question

Soon as I tell you why I need that resolution your going to tell me all the reasons the D3 is good enough. So why do you ask?

We have been all over that on other threads!

Well, I missed those and NO

I dont' do the thing you just said, I am genuinely interested in the reasons and what we would need it to do to buy it.

I personally don't know IF I need it but considering now according to my website (photo hosting) the max prints they will do from my pics are 20x30" I wouldnt' mind having more resolution IN case someone wants something bigger or sharper assuming my lenses can deliver that is

I'm thinking of going and was looking for people to hook up with. nt

George

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads