Anyone use the Tokina 10-17 on a full frame?

Started Apr 11, 2008 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Jamie H. Senior Member • Posts: 2,793
Anyone use the Tokina 10-17 on a full frame?

I currently have the Peleng 8mm and really liked it when my 1DII was my main camera. Now that I mainly shoot with the 5D, I dont really care for the field of view - not to mention the optics arent really that great.

I was thinking about the Tokina 10-17mm instead. I have the 16-35L II for "serious" wide angle shots, but was looking for a fisheye to do fun stuff with. I liked the fact that I the Tokina zoomed and went wider than 15mm if needed.

-- hide signature --

Amateurs worry about sharpness
Professionals worry about sales
Photographers worry about light

http://archive.jmhphoto.net

John Crichton Regular Member • Posts: 124
Re: Anyone use the Tokina 10-17 on a full frame?

You can actually see its built-in hood.

misha Forum Pro • Posts: 18,768
Re: Anyone use the Tokina 10-17 on a full frame?

Jamie H. wrote:

I currently have the Peleng 8mm and really liked it when my 1DII was
my main camera. Now that I mainly shoot with the 5D, I dont really
care for the field of view - not to mention the optics arent really
that great.

I was thinking about the Tokina 10-17mm instead. I have the 16-35L
II for "serious" wide angle shots, but was looking for a fisheye to
do fun stuff with. I liked the fact that I the Tokina zoomed and
went wider than 15mm if needed.

I believe Lee Jay posted samples from the Tokina on a 5D - it had a black "frame" made by the built-in hood.
--
Misha

RainerRaffalski Regular Member • Posts: 328
Re: Anyone use the Tokina 10-17 on a full frame?

I tried it on my 5D and sent it back. I found it useless because of its extreme field curvature (even on APS-C).

Rainer Raffalski

Jamie H. OP Senior Member • Posts: 2,793
Its a fisheye, what did you expect? (nt)

RainerRaffalski wrote:

I tried it on my 5D and sent it back. I found it useless because of
its extreme field curvature (even on APS-C).

Rainer Raffalski

-- hide signature --

Amateurs worry about sharpness
Professionals worry about sales
Photographers worry about light

http://archive.jmhphoto.net

canonpro Senior Member • Posts: 1,167
Re: Anyone use the Tokina 10-17 on a full frame?

Just search for shaved 10-17mm on google. (most do it for the pano aspect)

-- hide signature --

Take any advice given on a forum with a grain a salt. (that includes mine). Nobody is
perfect, though many claim to be.

RainerRaffalski Regular Member • Posts: 328
Re: Its a fisheye, what did you expect? (nt)

You don't mix up field curvature and distortion, do you?

misha Forum Pro • Posts: 18,768
Re: Anyone use the Tokina 10-17 on a full frame?

canonpro wrote:

Just search for shaved 10-17mm on google. (most do it for the pano
aspect)

I'm not sure what this means - is the whole frame (image plus the black area around it) the 5D sensor?
--
Misha

Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 50,371
Re: Anyone use the Tokina 10-17 on a full frame?

misha wrote:

Jamie H. wrote:

I currently have the Peleng 8mm and really liked it when my 1DII was
my main camera. Now that I mainly shoot with the 5D, I dont really
care for the field of view - not to mention the optics arent really
that great.

I was thinking about the Tokina 10-17mm instead. I have the 16-35L
II for "serious" wide angle shots, but was looking for a fisheye to
do fun stuff with. I liked the fact that I the Tokina zoomed and
went wider than 15mm if needed.

I believe Lee Jay posted samples from the Tokina on a 5D - it had a
black "frame" made by the built-in hood.

Yup.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=21110821

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

 Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +22 more
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 50,371
Re: Anyone use the Tokina 10-17 on a full frame?

misha wrote:

canonpro wrote:

Just search for shaved 10-17mm on google. (most do it for the pano
aspect)

I'm not sure what this means - is the whole frame (image plus the
black area around it) the 5D sensor?

Yes. Here, I've illuminated the hood so that you can see what's going on. This was taken at 10mm on the 5D:

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

 Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads