D300 does 8fps without vertical grip

Started Apr 5, 2008 | Discussions
CHITOWNCHOPPERS Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: D300 does 8fps without vertical grip

What I should have added in my previous post was that I am looking for this speed for indoor vollyeball. Couple of more questions

-for this 8 fps for the a3 setting (dynamic AF area, what point should that be set at?
-e4 focus tracking with lock-on should be set at what?
-a7 focus point wrap - on/off?
-e4 modeling flash - on/off?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Jack_M Regular Member • Posts: 396

The thing about this is, it just isn't applicable. Sure, if you're shooting a landscape, you could fire of 8fps and have 8 lovely identical pictures, but with no AF-C, then surely the idea of following and capturing the action is completely obsolete, unless you are a master of manual focus.

What has been said about battery power for focus and 8fps is correct, it needs a larger current running through, and that's why even with the grip, you can't get 8fps with the ordinary battery in it, you still need an En-EL4/a or AA batteries.

Ergo, they didn't cripple it to make you buy the grip, cos you can't even get 8fps with the grip straight out of the box, so you theorists go back to your caves for now

And anyway, just buy the grip, it's been a godsend on many an occasion....
--
-- Jack Mitchell --

http://www.bandstand.org.uk/~jmitchell/home.html
All Images Copyright (C) J Mitchell 2008

Ponylander Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: Interesting...

Hi.

I'm curious why so many people are assuming that Nikon limited the D300 without the grip to 6fps just so they can make money by selling grips.

I won't argue that Nikon sells grips at a profit, but maybe Nikon also makes/sells grips so you can shoot at 8fps without having a large enough voltage drop (read large current draw) to overheat small and expensive digital circuitry and compromise camera longevity/reliability.

A scaled-up example of what I'm talking about is off-road 4-wheeling with electric winches. The FASTEST way to burn up a winch motor - aside from constant use without sufficient time to cool down - is to connect it to a small battery or one that is not fully charged; when you close the circuit, there is enough voltage to get the electrons to flow (i.e., the battery not being dead, current will flow), yet not enough to limit that current flow (since they have an inverse relationship for a given power requirement), so then the current becomes excessive from a thermal standpoint. If you think a 20-amp extension cord can get warm, picture car battery cables of about the same diameter conducting 500 amps - or more - for a couple minutes continuously (the smart ones use thicker cables). More current = more heat, and unless you are talking arctic temperatures, more heat is almost always a bad thing for electronics. This is also one reason why heavier-duty power tools often run on 230 volts instead of 115 volts.

Conversely, use two oversized and fully charged batteries wired in parallel (i.e., still "12" volts), and that same winch motor will pull the same load while running cooler - because the two batteries can better maintain a higher voltage, so the current flow is less. Semantically, this can be viewed in reverse, but there is no flow of current without voltage potential, so I won't debate that here.

In other words, maybe Nikon makes/sells grips so you can shoot at 8fps and have a camera that will still last as long as they (and we) would like it to last, which just might prove impossible when running it at 8fps with its regular battery.

I hope no one hurts their camera experimenting.

Regards,

Peter

digital-freak Senior Member • Posts: 2,786
Re: Interesting...

Peter,

You make a very good point. I have to admit I was curious and did set my D300 so it could shoot 8 fps and it did work. I doubt if I will use it very much, but its nice to know I have the option if I should need the speed. The fact that it will only shoot 9 frames at a time might keep me from over heating the circuitry.

Ponylander wrote:

Hi.

I'm curious why so many people are assuming that Nikon limited the
D300 without the grip to 6fps just so they can make money by selling
grips.

I won't argue that Nikon sells grips at a profit, but maybe Nikon
also makes/sells grips so you can shoot at 8fps without having a
large enough voltage drop (read large current draw) to overheat small
and expensive digital circuitry and compromise camera
longevity/reliability.

A scaled-up example of what I'm talking about is off-road 4-wheeling
with electric winches. The FASTEST way to burn up a winch motor -
aside from constant use without sufficient time to cool down - is to
connect it to a small battery or one that is not fully charged; when
you close the circuit, there is enough voltage to get the electrons
to flow (i.e., the battery not being dead, current will flow), yet
not enough to limit that current flow (since they have an inverse
relationship for a given power requirement), so then the current
becomes excessive from a thermal standpoint. If you think a 20-amp
extension cord can get warm, picture car battery cables of about the
same diameter conducting 500 amps - or more - for a couple minutes
continuously (the smart ones use thicker cables). More current =
more heat, and unless you are talking arctic temperatures, more heat
is almost always a bad thing for electronics. This is also one
reason why heavier-duty power tools often run on 230 volts instead of
115 volts.

Conversely, use two oversized and fully charged batteries wired in
parallel (i.e., still "12" volts), and that same winch motor will
pull the same load while running cooler - because the two batteries
can better maintain a higher voltage, so the current flow is less.
Semantically, this can be viewed in reverse, but there is no flow of
current without voltage potential, so I won't debate that here.

In other words, maybe Nikon makes/sells grips so you can shoot at
8fps and have a camera that will still last as long as they (and we)
would like it to last, which just might prove impossible when running
it at 8fps with its regular battery.

I hope no one hurts their camera experimenting.

Regards,

Peter

-- hide signature --
mlewan Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

Does this still work after the latest firmware updates? I tried it for the first time yesterday, and I get no more than 6 fps, even if I follow these instructions.

Cheers
Magnus

Anh Bi Regular Member • Posts: 102

It works with the latest firmware release.

Make sure that when you press the bracketing button, you set it for 9 frames exposure.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads