Started Apr 3, 2008 | Discussions
lwiley
lwiley Senior Member • Posts: 1,269
That would blow the JPG

gollywop wrote:

I guess in principle, when shooting JPEG, you could use UniWB to
determine the proper exposure then switch to an appropriate WB before
actually taking the shot.

Isn't that a recipe to blow the JPG many times? One of the reasons to use UniWB and RAW is to get more light/data in the image than you can with the actual WB. Maybe I'm missing something.

Leroy

lwiley
Reworded

JimPearce wrote:

Her method works well on my D300. I use it more to check for
underexposure than for shooting.

Sorry Jim. Let me reword my first post. The link you posted takes me back to this very thread. Is that where you meant the link to take me? I can't find a post in this thread by Marianne.

So is your link correct or should it point somewhere else?

Leroy

JimPearce
JimPearce Veteran Member • Posts: 9,192
Well, I do something like this with RAW.

If you're opening in Capture NX or NX2 there isn't much difference between RAW and jpeg. So, if one channel (in nature photography, often red) is preventing you from getting optimal exposure, you can use a WB that reduces this channel.
--
Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
JimPearce
JimPearce Veteran Member • Posts: 9,192
Look up!
 JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
lwiley
Doh!

I see it now. Sorry. Thanks. I don't know how I missed it the seven times I looked through the posts.

Leroy

Panocho Regular Member • Posts: 488
Thanks

It's a nice tip! Very thanks

OOPSOS Contributing Member • Posts: 611
Re: Finally, a D300 Near UniWB JPEG-(TAGGED N/T)
-- hide signature --

'Photography is about feel of view, not field of view'
OOPSOS

D80-NIKKOR18-200VR, NIKKOR 50 1.8 D, NIKKOR 70-300VR SIGMA 10-20,TAMRON 90 DI, SB800x2- SB 600

OOPSOS's gear list:OOPSOS's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon D800 +20 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,338
Re: Finally, a D300 Near UniWB JPEG [gollywop/iliah]

farcus wrote:

A Near UniWB JPEG for the D300 is finally available for download at

http://www.pochtar.com/Nikon_D300_NearUniWB.zip

Thank you gollywop for creating this file, and thanks to the Borgs for making it available.

Unfortunately, this little guy has gone 404. Does anyone have an alternate link?

If not, I'd be happy to host a copy if gollywop or someone would mail it to me.

gollywop
gollywop Veteran Member • Posts: 8,284

malch wrote:

farcus wrote:

A Near UniWB JPEG for the D300 is finally available for download at

http://www.pochtar.com/Nikon_D300_NearUniWB.zip

Thank you gollywop for creating this file, and thanks to the Borgs for making it available.

Unfortunately, this little guy has gone 404. Does anyone have an alternate link?

If not, I'd be happy to host a copy if gollywop or someone would mail it to me.

malch: I've just shipped a copy of the file and the accompanying copyright notice to you via e-mail. Let me know if you have any troubles.

Meanwhile, thank you for hosting it.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

gollywop wrote:

malch: I've just shipped a copy of the file and the accompanying copyright notice to you via e-mail. Let me know if you have any troubles.

Thank you sir.

I have updated the links here:

http://www.malch.com/nikon/UniWB.html

Also, in checking over the other links on that page, it seems that RawAnalyze has disappeared off the face of the web It used to live here:

http://www.cryptobola.com/PhotoBola/Rawnalyze.htm

Does anyone know what's happening with that one? I have a copy of 2.10.4.0 which I will archive carefully just in case. But it will be a major shame if this invaluable program is abandoned and not updated for new camera models as and when they're released.

I sure hope it's just a temporary problem with the server or whatever.

VividExposures Contributing Member • Posts: 989
Correct file

Thank you guys for all of the hard work. I just wanted someone to confirm which file for a d300 user. Should I use "Nikon_D300_NearUniWBgollywop.zip" or "UniWB.zip"? Seems like a dumb question considering the filename has d300 in it lol, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks.

VividExposures Contributing Member • Posts: 989
Re: Correct file

Based on the original title of the post, I picked Nikon_D300_NearUniWBgollywop.zip, and it is working good. Thanks. FYI for Lightroom users, Change the wb setting from "As Shot" to "Custom" without making changes, then copy/paste setting to other photos.

Re: Correct file

VividExposures wrote:

Based on the original title of the post, I picked Nikon_D300_NearUniWBgollywop.zip, and it is working good.

That's the one to use for your custom WB on the D300.

UniWB contains a linear tone curve which is supposed to make the JPEG histogram more closely match the original RAW histogram. The effect is not that great in my view -- secondary to the custom WB. But you may want to load it anyway since you only need to set this up once.

Firestorm2000
Firestorm2000 Regular Member • Posts: 358
Re: Finally, a D300 Near UniWB JPEG

Thanks. I will experiment later!
--
My galleries at http://www.firestorm.smugmug.com
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/Barry.Humphries

Firestorm2000's gear list:Firestorm2000's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS12 Olympus C-770 UZ Nikon D70 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +13 more
Revision Contributing Member • Posts: 828
Re: How can one UniWB file work well under all lighting conditions?

It does not make sense that one UniWB file will provide an accurate in camera histogram under different light conditions (2800K incandescent or 8000K sunlight)?
--
Best Regards,
Renato

'The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks.' Henri Cartier Bresson, in the 1930's

gollywop
gollywop Veteran Member • Posts: 8,284
Re: How can one UniWB file work well under all lighting conditions?

Revision wrote:

It does not make sense that one UniWB file will provide an accurate in camera histogram under different light conditions (2800K incandescent or 8000K sunlight)?

You do realize that we are concerned here with the Raw image, not a jpeg? The Raw data record the camera's response to the light received by the sensor, regardless of its temperature . The camera's histograms display the relative numbers of sites of differing intensity, either by color (R, G, or B) or overall luminance. These numbers can indeed be affected by the WB multipliers used when creating the histograms and the jpeg images. But the multipliers are not applied to the RAW data.

The object of UniWB, then, is to make these multipliers unity (1) so that the histograms' numbers correctly reflect what's on the sensor as recorded by the Raw data. Lighting temperature has nothing to do with it.

gollywop

-- hide signature --

Ankin New Member • Posts: 6
Re: reverse tonal transform (D2Hs)

gollywop wrote:

Raul:

Open Picture Control Utility and start with a Neutral (predefined) case. Drop the Sharpening to 0 -- keep everything else at 0 --, and click "Use Custom Curve." Now pull the center of the curve down with a single point to a position as close as you can get it to Input 128, Output 56. Now click "New," and name your custom curve. Finally, export it to your CF card. It will be put in a folder named NIKON, subfolder CUSTOMPC, file PICCONxx.NCP. Then follow the instructions in the manual for loading a custom curve.

But beware, the resulting tone curve will produce an LCD image that is very, very dark, and perhaps, as a result, pretty useless. Still, one can use it to take a test shot just to see what the histograms look like under your shooting conditions.

Custom Tone Curve "Input 128, Output 56" is that the same value for all Nikon Cameras or different for D2Hs? Thanks in advance.

PepsiCan Contributing Member • Posts: 739
Would you be interested in more files?

I can give you a UniWb RAW file for the D5000. Home made

PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads