Finally, a D300 Near UniWB JPEG

Started Apr 3, 2008 | Discussions
gollywop
gollywop Veteran Member • Posts: 8,301
Re: Will do...

PixelDave wrote:

Seems like it would be fairly difficult to maintain proper WB during
the golden hour when the light is rapidly changing.

Not really. First note that with this sort of lighting, you don't really want a true WB adjustment anyway; that would make the golden hour a white hour. If you're looking to get the golden glow you want to adjust according to a reasonable temperature for outside light that won't make the gold look white. This is probably best done by eye during PP according to how you want the scene to look. Surely a true WB would not be appropriate.

Rather more generally realize that when the lighting is changing quickly, WB adjustment is always difficult, if a proper WB is what you want; this would be true whether or not you use UniWB for exposure.

Realistically, how much more DR do you gain by going this route?
Half a stop perhaps?

You gain no DR; the DR is determined by your sensor, not the WB. What you do gain is better control over a proper exposure and, therefore, more sure accommodation of the DR that is there to be had. With UniWB, your histograms tell you more accurately what your sensor is seeing and "how full" it is in each of the color channels. With other WB, you can be misled by the histograms both ways: that is, the histograms can indicate clipping of some channels when there is none or they can indicate some channels are not clipping when they are. With UniWB, what you see is what you have.

I suppose it is unfortunate that Nikon does not offer a true RAW
histogram with correct WB as an option. I am sure they could deliver
something like this through a firmware update.

It is indeed unfortunate. I don't know if this is achievable simply through a firmware update.

gollywop wrote:

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 29,167
Re: Will do...

Half a stop perhaps?

Do you realize what importance half a stop has in lighter shadows and darker midtones where there is already a deficit in the number of levels?

Filters are not just to allow better exposure of highlights. Shadow noise is where they are really working. Another issue that loosing levels in two channels you start loosing resolution during raw conversion.

-- hide signature --
_GUI_ Regular Member • Posts: 386
Re: Why so less interchange of ideas?

It's quite an old post here but I didn't read it until now. I totally agree with you Iliah. Everytime a new camera is on the market inconciously I feel a bit nervous until I know that this camera has a true RAW output just to make sure the industry does not decide one day to move into the direction to pre-process sensor information.

(when I heard Sony cameras 'could' do some RAW denoising I started to dislike them, even if no one seems to clearly have confirmed this).

BR

Iliah Borg wrote:

What I basically want is that pro and semi-pro lines of cameras
continue to exist with the primary goal of image-taking, not
image-processing (unless we are talking Polaroids here).

-- hide signature --
_GUI_ Regular Member • Posts: 386
Re: RAW uniwb for D300

OK you were right, I was 'thinking Canon'

Nice to see others managed to UniWB their cameras.

BR

-- hide signature --
Mike in Kansas
Mike in Kansas Contributing Member • Posts: 794
Cool!

Thanks!

Mike in Kansas's gear list:Mike in Kansas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
wwt New Member • Posts: 6
Newbie question: other d300 settings required to use uniWB??

Sorry if this was already covered somewhere in this thread, but I'm confused about what other (d300) camera settings should be used if I'm trying to use the uniWB file: I've read some references to needing to setting a linear curve -- how do I do that? Is that different than the post earlier in this thread about setting the "Standard" Picture Controls to "0"? Anything else I need to do (other than shoot RAW and use the preset WB)?

Thanks!

Murray Bowles
Murray Bowles Senior Member • Posts: 2,155
if you're using NX

can't you just change the WB to (say) Daylight preset there.

Murray Bowles
Murray Bowles Senior Member • Posts: 2,155
seems like a no-brainer

it would seem whoever (Nikon or Canon or...) offers RAW-metering first will make a lot of people jump ship.

gollywop
wwt, Sorry to reply so late

I missed your post when it first came through.

You want to use Picture Control Utility (comes with NX and some other Nikon software) to create a custom version of Neutral with a "flat" (i.e., straight line) tone curve and all other settings at zero. Use this picture control along with the UniWB to achieve histograms that are about as good as can be gotten for the D300's actual sensor readings.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

carlos roncatti
carlos roncatti Senior Member • Posts: 2,679
Better late than never...

Sorry to ask you this now, but i only saw this thread a few minutes ago. You mean the picture control in NX that is the same as the camera? I tried to evaluate the difference between this preset ( after the correction) and daylight both with NX and couldnt tell any. Thanks a lot...

gollywop wrote:

I missed your post when it first came through.

You want to use Picture Control Utility (comes with NX and some other
Nikon software) to create a custom version of Neutral with a "flat"
(i.e., straight line) tone curve and all other settings at zero. Use
this picture control along with the UniWB to achieve histograms that
are about as good as can be gotten for the D300's actual sensor
readings.

-- hide signature --

self portrait:

Carlos Roncatti Bomfim

gollywop
Re: Better late than never...

No, I mean the use of the application that comes with NX called Picture Control Utility that allows one to create custom picture controls that can then be loaded into the camera for use there. See pp. 160-166 of the D300 Manual.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

carlos roncatti
carlos roncatti Senior Member • Posts: 2,679
Re: Better late than never...

Thanks a lot...

gollywop wrote:

No, I mean the use of the application that comes with NX called
Picture Control Utility that allows one to create custom picture
controls that can then be loaded into the camera for use there. See
pp. 160-166 of the D300 Manual.

-- hide signature --

self portrait:

Carlos Roncatti Bomfim

Hoddo Contributing Member • Posts: 559
Re: Why so less interchange of ideas?

So here I am resurrecting this thread about UniWB in an attempt to get it right. Before I load something into my D300 I want to make sure I understand this correctly. Might turn into a longish post.

First, this thread contains a couple of uniwb downloads for thx D300, which one is the correctine?

2nd, m I correct to believe I need to make a new picture profile for myD300 based on neutral but with everything zero'd with an unaltered curve?

3rd, I upload one of the uniwb files in to my cameraand use this along with my new picture control point, see point 2 above?

4th, using point 3 from hereon in I use this setting but during any shoot must first shoot my whibal card to help later processing

5th, expect the view on camera to have a green colour cast which won't be present when I upload and view in either NX2 or View NX?

6th, correct colours cannow be accurate by using the image of my whibal card across images taken in the same lighting conditions?

7th, does adding sharpening change the result if left on in the camera?

Has anyone got realworld examples of this method in practice?

Thanks in advance
--
http://hodgsonp.wordpress.com

menameisatsushi Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: reverse tonal transform

Thanks for the explanation.

Panocho Regular Member • Posts: 488
I'm wondering...

if this UniWB is possible to load in a D90.... Thanks

Panocho Regular Member • Posts: 488
That's exactly...

the same in a D90.... What's the solution for avoid clipping in blue and red channel?

Thanks

gollywop
Re: I'm wondering...

Panocho wrote:

if this UniWB is possible to load in a D90.... Thanks

In principle, it is quite possible. The D90 allows copying WB info from an existing image. This is described on page 100 of the D90 manual. Now all you need is for someone to create a jpeg or NEF that has the UniWB embodied. I do not know if this has been done yet, and I don't have a D90.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

JimPearce
JimPearce Veteran Member • Posts: 9,272
You might try Marianne Oelund's short cut...

here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=27420220
You should be able to fine tune it using RawAnalyze.
--
Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
lwiley
lwiley Senior Member • Posts: 1,269
Jim, that link

JimPearce wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=27420220
You should be able to fine tune it using RawAnalyze.

takes me back to this thread. Is that what you meant?

Leroy

JimPearce
JimPearce Veteran Member • Posts: 9,272
Yes.

Her method works well on my D300. I use it more to check for underexposure than for shooting.
--
Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads