I feel so sick - Update

Started Mar 31, 2008 | Discussions
PhotoRecon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,032
I feel so sick - Update

I want to first thank you for your written responses of voiced concern. Although an international forum does not fall within the truest definition of being a family - at times, it can nicely seem like one. Thank you.

I have not yet had an insurance policy to cover my photography business's equipment. Having very much and very literally been in a 'starving artist mode,' I've been struggling each month simply to pay three credit card bills. Being ensnared within the complex webs of such banking companies has been difficult for me to surmount. The dropping of an expensive lens (expensive to me) has not so much created a self-sense of pity, but a hard knowledge that an equipment insurance policy is yet one more 'thing' which I must now obtain. Though my stacked list of needs is a pretty tall one, and I'm in no way able to easily afford an item such as the heavily damaged, likely lost lens - I'm wanting to continue to push forward.

I want to especially thank Jim for his kind & helpful words regarding such insurance policies.

Per Drew's request, below are some images of the camera & lens, which I don't mind his showing to his photography class.

Below are ten images, all made through the above 300mm lens, and are typical of my work. Without such a lens, I'm basically a fish out of water. If I could have my druthers, an af-s II 400mm f/2.8 lens coupled to a D3 would be the way I'd desire to go - based upon it's enhanced focusing capabilities over the D2x and upon my working style. If I were able to somehow afford a VR 400mm - that and a D3 would very much be me.

It was incredibly nice that two of the show's performers approached me during the post-show performer's party and announced to me that they were going to buy a new lens for me. I know full and well that such a gift would be one that is not simply 'given' but rather 'provided to me in exchange for a whole bunch of pretty photos and posters and magazine ads, etc' or something like that. I thought though it was an overly nice gesture, though one that I'm not really wanting to re-approach them about.

thanks again,
marc

Boris
Boris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,257
Re: I feel so sick - Update

Marc

That looks really ugly....I feel for you! If you want to borrow my AFS 300f4 drop me a e-mail.
Boris
Good luck
--
Stubborn and ardent clinging to one's opinion is the best
proof of stupidity.
Michel de Montaigne

http://public.fotki.com/borysd/

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II +41 more
Fostereast Contributing Member • Posts: 974
Re: I feel so sick - Crazy Question

It must have been asked before, but... is this lens repairable?

Depending on your local nikon repair facilities interest in helping a starving artist, it may be a flexible decision on their part on how far they can go to fix it and charge you.

mironv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,778
-- hide signature --

Its a filter slot that makes such spot not strong they shod stop making that you can fix that lens it shod be no more than $500.
Mironv
http://mironv.smugmug.com/

mironv's gear list:mironv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +10 more
Gnome Regular Member • Posts: 431
That lens is probably fixable.

Talk to Nikon Repair, get an estimate.

It might no be overly expensive to put that lens back together.

You are not the first to break a lens in two. Heck, you are not even the first I have heard about doing that today.

It is fixable.

And, damaged equimpent is part of doing business. Many of us have done it, struggled through the expense and survived.

Good luck...

OP PhotoRecon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,032

thanks Fostereast for the question.

I'm in the process of searching for a correct sized box and styrofoam peanuts to put the lens in. My plan was to ship it to Nikon in Melville, NY.

Local to me is a company named Camera Repair Japan. They are Nikon accredited. Would you recommend I visit them tomorrow instead of first UPSing the lens to Nikon? My basic fear though has been that they'll simply turn around and ship the lens to New York and then charge me some money for their own time.

Yes. This concept was one of the first things which crossed my mind: with only specific pieces apparently broken, surely the various parts can be replaced. However, not known is how extensively damaged the non-viewable parts are, such as the focusing motor, or perhaps the fine-alignment of other portions of the lens.

Though I'd imaging no matter what direction is traveled, it won't be financially easy, my fingers are crossed like you won't believe!

thanks for your crazy-Q,

marc

Chubly Senior Member • Posts: 1,959
Must be a case of photo karma?

All the karma you built up ripping on people and trying to run a certain poster off and now the photo gods are showing their approval? Better luck next time and I hope the fix isn't too costly. Live and learn and be better for it.

Fostereast Contributing Member • Posts: 974
Sending into repair

I would call them and discuss this with a tech manager if you can. Try and get a relationship with the guy however superficial it is with one phone call. This is my opinion, someone may know the way Nikon handles things more than I do.

Good Luck.

Re: Must be a case of photo karma?

yes, yes, yes Chubly... I know exactly what you are saying.

In my original thread on this lens subject, I quickly wrote that I was no doubt jinxed by Darth, as I indeed felt his presence hovering over me while looking down this past Saturday evening upon my 'equipments' splattered on the closed runway.

However Mr. Chubly, I'm super-glad the thought never crossed my mind to throw the camera 15-feet upwards into the air - only to let it speed vertically back down to the waiting concrete earth.

I now have to think: What a mess that would have been!

(A fatal fall from 5-times the height of that from my retracted legged monopod

I very much appreciated Joseph Spina for who he is, and I still do. It's just that he had been striving to be deceptive - in multiple ways. And as all of us perhaps experience for ourselves at some point in our lives, this only goes so far in a social world.

Thanks for writing your words, I look forward to conversing with you in the future. I really do.

marc

Re: Sending into repair

you're talking about a Nikon tech-guy, one in New York, correct?

As I now have the photos presented in this thread prepared, would
you recommend that I, while speaking with such a person, offer to
them the above three images?

I don't mean the above to be a juvenile question, but maybe they
simply don't need to be shown the images? With the oriental rug
and muslin background, it may come across that I'm showcasing the
damage - which by all means, I'm not (I'm very ill about what had
happened - but I also realize 'things' like this do happen).

m.

Todd Avery Senior Member • Posts: 1,037
The Darkside has stealth

See Marc, the camera didn't fall. DV used the new "Darkside Stealth" which is much like the Stealth used by the Klingons in Star Trek. So basically he was invisible and knocked the camera over while you weren't paying attention.

Unfortunate to say the least.

Also, in all seriousness... send it to Nikon, don't deal with Uncle Joes camera or whatever.

Crazy how it broke like that. I'm sure you will anyway, but keep us updated.

llenoir Contributing Member • Posts: 719

Although those pics make me wanna throwup, look at the cup half full.. Be glad it didn't destroy the lense mount on the camera. That would be a good advertisment shot for the D2X.

Lance

Chubly Senior Member • Posts: 1,959
Re: Must be a case of photo karma?

I am just saying life is strange. Better luck next time. If worst comes to worst, sell it on ebay if it is not fixable to some nut out there. You would be surprised how much they pay. I would guess any photographer has busted up a nice piece of gear here and there.

PhotoRecon wrote:

yes, yes, yes Chubly... I know exactly what you are saying.

In my original thread on this lens subject, I quickly wrote that I
was no doubt jinxed by Darth, as I indeed felt his presence hovering
over me while looking down this past Saturday evening upon my
'equipments' splattered on the closed runway.

However Mr. Chubly, I'm super-glad the thought never crossed my mind
to throw the camera 15-feet upwards into the air - only to let it
speed vertically back down to the waiting concrete earth.

I now have to think: What a mess that would have been!
(A fatal fall from 5-times the height of that from my retracted
legged monopod

I very much appreciated Joseph Spina for who he is, and I still do.
It's just that he had been striving to be deceptive - in multiple
ways. And as all of us perhaps experience for ourselves at some point
in our lives, this only goes so far in a social world.

Thanks for writing your words, I look forward to conversing with you
in the future. I really do.

marc

Meggy Regular Member • Posts: 385

Sorry for your loss, it can be repaired or replaced

I'm curious as to the white broken parts inside of the lens, is it metal? Wonder why it isn't painted matt black?
--
There are no such words as alot, truely or lense.

Louis_Dobson
Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,582
Great shots

Especially the last aircraft one!

No insurance? Yipe - that's not funny

I'm lucky that, as an amateur, I can put mine on the house contents and pay about $100 a year. If they knew where I take this stuff and how I carry it they'd have a cow...

Just ebay the lens and call it "lighly scratched". One of those just went up to about $1600 on UK ebay the other day, despite the fact there were no lens caps, it had been checked over by a "Nikkon Expert" (sic) the manual focusing was a "little stiff", and the bloke selling it mainly sold video games. I expect they dropped it while they were climbing out of the window in the dark.

Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
MBoatner
MBoatner Senior Member • Posts: 1,495

Sorry to hear about your lens. Good luck be with you. My D3 is on its way to Nikon for sensor blobs. I tried to clean it myself - did not resolve the dark areas on the shots. I have had it only 90 days and it cost $60 bucks ground because of the insurance and it did not cover the entire cost of the camera.
--
Mike

PixelMover Contributing Member • Posts: 755
White on the inside?

Am I the only one who's surprised to see that this lens actually is white on the inside and as far as I can see on a part between 2 optical elements - surely not ideal if you're trying to avoid internal reflections?

jean bernier Veteran Member • Posts: 3,181
Re: White on the inside?

PixelMover wrote:

Am I the only one who's surprised to see that this lens actually is
white on the inside and as far as I can see on a part between 2
optical elements - surely not ideal if you're trying to avoid
internal reflections?

You're not the only one, that is the first thing that startled me. Anyway, as long as Nikon gets results, (and they do get them) they can use any color for internal parts as far as I'm concerned. Still unexplanable, as it certainly goes against age old rules in lens construction. Recycled plastics? Nah.

-- hide signature --

Jean Bernier

All photographs are only more or less credible illusions

J Kuek Regular Member • Posts: 312

If you look carefully, the white portion is not in the part where the light travels through - that is still black..

When I speak with Nikon, I'll ask them this specific question.
I'll post their response that we may all know the rational.

marc

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads