Lacrosse portraits for C&C

Started Mar 18, 2008 | Discussions
J Hall Forum Member • Posts: 58
Lacrosse portraits for C&C

I am still trying to learn how to shoot portraits. My neighbor's daughter sits for me as my test subject.

I fitted a strobe with a reflector and positioned it low and pointing back toward the camera to give a rim light effect. I positioned a medium soft box with its diffusion panel removed slightly higher on the opposite side. Yes, it is dark, but that was intentional. Camera was Canon 350D. Lens was Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM. Exposure was 1/250s f/7.1 at 85mm ISO100. Background was purple seamless paper. (I wanted her hair pulled back away from her eye, but the model and her mom liked it this way instead. So it goes.)

1. 1:

The model and her mom had another pose they wanted to try. The model wanted to do a tough-looking serious pose, but her mom wanted a smile. So we did both. Lighting was a large softbox to camera right and a medium softbox near the camera axis for fill. Exposure was 1/160s f/13 at 85mm ISO100.

1. 2:

1. 3:

KennyS Contributing Member • Posts: 639
Re: Lacrosse portraits for C&C

I like 2 and 3 most. They don't "pop" for me, though. Perhaps it is the purple background?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kennyschabow/

OP J Hall Forum Member • Posts: 58

KennyS wrote:

I like 2 and 3 most. They don't "pop" for me, though. Perhaps it is
the purple background?

Her school colors are purple, black, and white, which is why I picked a purple backdrop.

The model likes #2. Her mom likes #3.

picsbydan Regular Member • Posts: 184

I like #2 as well. Not just because she looks like lindsey lohan. I think the serious sports face looks better.

The Schillings Regular Member • Posts: 189

I would have complimented the "serious" pose with more dramatic lighting. Maybe reduce or eliminate fill altogether. Also up the contrast a bit. As for background, you could keep the purple, but maybe some type of gradient approach to make it less plain. Just my two cents.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads