Canon camera not recognised - Camera Window won't start!

Started Mar 14, 2008 | Discussions
puch24 Regular Member • Posts: 219
Canon camera not recognised - Camera Window won't start!

I am running Windows XP and my Canon A540 isn't recognised by the computer. I may have made the mistake of plugging in the camera before I installed the Canon software, and now, no matter what I do, the camera isn't recognised and Camera Windows won't start. If I try to start Camera Window manually, I only get a message that no compatible camera has been found.

I have tried installing and uninstalling and re-installing all the Canon software, removing the leftover folders manually, etc., but no matter what I do, I haven't been able to solve the problem.

I have found an answer in the topic "Installing S5 IS software" below, and got as far as checking the "services", but the problem is that the "Dependencies" tab of the "Canon Camera Access Library 8" service only lists Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) as a service that the Canon Camera Access is dependent on, and there are no services that are dependent on Canon Camera Access. No mention of the SSDP Discovery Service whatsoever (it's not disabled, it's not listed at all).

What do I do now?
Can anybody help? I am really starting to feel frustrated.

puch24

jerryk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,624
Re: Canon camera not recognised - Camera Window won't start!

Is there something in particular you want or like in the Canon software? If not, you can just get a card reader and forget the USB connection. If you plan on taking movies this probably be a better way to go anyway.

-- hide signature --

jerryk.smugmug.com

Santiago Del Bono Regular Member • Posts: 287

I am new with Canon, but yesterday I discovered that with the SD1000 if you dont switch the camera to "PLAY" mode (to see the pictures) windows doesnt recognize that camera.

-- hide signature --

Santiago Del Bono, Argentina, Sony DSC-H2 - Canon SD1000
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22955264@N00/

bfollett Regular Member • Posts: 472

Are other devices you plug into the USB port being recognized? I had a problem that the autoplay feature of XP stopped working with any device. Turned out something was wrong with the policies of my machine in the windows registry. Anyway, I found a tool on Microsoft's support site that repaired my problems. It might be worth a try for you:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en
If the link doesn't work search on "microsoft autofix" in google.

Bob

JackSprat New Member • Posts: 19

Task Bar > Start > Settings > Control Panel > Admistrative Tools > Services

Double click on "Canon Camera Access Library 8"

Start-up Type "Automatic"

Service Status "Start"

Click "OK".

You may also want to check on other service, "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)". Give that the same settings.

I frequently turn off either or both when I don't want to be bothered with Canon's cr@p or Windows popping up "Aquire images" panels all over the place.

OP puch24 Regular Member • Posts: 219

Thanks a lot, but I am afraid I have tried everything, except the M$ repair tool. The camera is turned on and switched to "replay". I have checked the three services that Canon advises to check in their FAQ: SSDP Discovery Service, WIA service, and Canon Camera Access Library 8 - they are all switched on and set to Automatic. Still, it doesn't work.

Why do I want to use Canon software? Because I find it useful, it lets me customise the camera a bit, and also downloading pictures is easy. I have a card reader which I use to download pix, but I just like the Canon software.

bluenoser23
bluenoser23 Senior Member • Posts: 2,032
System Restore

Why not do a quick System Restore ? I find that the odd time when my computer is gummed up beyond explanation, doing a system restore straightens things out.

After the restore, try installing the software again and see what happens when you plug in your camera (just make sure you have some photos on your card to download!)
--
James
Canon S3, SD800, A95 & Fuji F31

bluenoser23's gear list:bluenoser23's gear list
Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D40 +13 more
PJYMAN10 Regular Member • Posts: 133

I tried starting the Canon Camera Access and got this message;
"Could not start the Canon Camera Access Library 8 service on local computer.
Error 1068: the depending service or group failed to start".

On my Windows 2000 laptop I can attach my A630 and the program will open to download. On my XP desktop, I have to use a card reader.
PJ

bobandgeri New Member • Posts: 1

We have the same issue with two differant cameras (sd550 - sd870) They used to work on our desktop XP PC, but now no longer connect. They both work on two other PC's.

When we connect the Camera and turn it on we hear a series of 3-4 fast beeps and the camera is not recognized. Looking at the Device Manager with the camera connected and turned on we see a yellow exclamation mark next to a camera entry. Have tried uninstalling by right clicking, but it doesn't change anything - disconnect and connect and we have the same problem. Have looked on the Canon site for a driver to update/replace and can't find one.

Other items such as external USB hard drives and an IPOD connect and work just fine in the same USB port.

Any ideas?

Hipster New Member • Posts: 13
Update Zoom Browser

Just got a S5 a few days ago. Had the problem of the camera software not starting up when the camera was connected. It would however show up in windows explorer.

My 'fix' was to download the latest zoom browswer. From v5???? to v6????.

Works perfectly now. Download for the english version http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=322&modelid=15207

Select your OS & it will show up. I am running XP SP2.

MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,359
Re: Update Zoom Browser

In addition to updating ZoomBrowser, have you tried the following?

1) Cick "Start" > Open "My Computer"

2) Under "Devices with Removable Storage" can you see your Camera? (It might show as "Removable Disk E" or similar)

3) If you can see it, right click the device and select "Properites" and then "AutoPlay" tab.

4) From the drop down box select "Pictures" and then the button "Select action to perform"

5) Scroll down the list untill you come to "View/Download Images using ZoomBrowser EX", select it and press "Apply"

You should now automatically launch ZoomBrowser every time the device is connected.

If at stage 3, no device is shown, then you may have a problem with either the USB port or USB connecting cable.

-- hide signature --

'I don't take snaps - I paint with light' - Tony Hancock

MisterBG's gear list:MisterBG's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM +10 more
PJYMAN10 Regular Member • Posts: 133
Problem solved

On my pc the "SSDP Discovery Service" was disabled. After turning that service on I was able to activate the "Canon Access Library 8". Now, when I connect my camera the CameraWindow application starts.
Yippee!
PJ

Keelie
Keelie Regular Member • Posts: 443
Re: Update Zoom Browser

If none of the suggestions here work, go to the Canon website and either email or call the 1-800 #

I've done this twice now with a Canon product and both times they have been very helpful and solved the problem for me.

Good luck!

Keelie's gear list:Keelie's gear list
Canon PowerShot A70 Canon PowerShot A650 IS Canon ELPH 100 HS Canon PowerShot SX280 HS Canon PowerShot SX730 HS
blumrich New Member • Posts: 1

I could not get CameraWindow to open by enabling SSDP Discovery Service and WIA. I noticed that if you click on the + sign next to these dependencies (in the Canon Camera Access Library dependency window), you will see that WIA is further dependent on Remote Procedure Call. That was disabled on my machine, and starting it fixed the problem. So, I suggest you follow the chains of dependencies and start everything you need.

perky_82 New Member • Posts: 1

I just wanted to add that I have a Canon Power Shot G9. I developed the problem of my Canon Camera Window not working (wouldn't auto start) when I plugged int he USB cable and switched on the camera. I have been having to manually start the Canon Camera Access Library 8 in the services in computer management.

I ran the Autoplay Repair Wizard today and ta-da! My Canon Camera Window automatically opens when i plug in my camera! Thank you!

Great_Gatsby New Member • Posts: 21

Sorry fo bumping up this old conversation, but my Canon 40D and 5DII are not being recognized.

Canon Camera Windows used to work, but EOS Utility did and does not. The applicatin starts when the camera is not plugged in, but as soon as I turn the camera on a message says that"camera is not recognized" and Eos Utility crashes.

I need access to the camera to modify owner name and a few other things.
--
Cheers

zaxon123 New Member • Posts: 1

Great_Gatsby wrote:

Sorry fo bumping up this old conversation, but my Canon 40D and 5DII are not being recognized.

Canon Camera Windows used to work, but EOS Utility did and does not. The applicatin starts when the camera is not plugged in, but as soon as I turn the camera on a message says that"camera is not recognized" and Eos Utility crashes.

I need access to the camera to modify owner name and a few other things.
--
Cheers

Very old thread but if I landed here from a google search I'll presume someone else will.

The solution I found for a similar issue with not being able to have my cameras recognised was to download the latest Camera Window DC which installed something different to the existing "Camera Window" app on my PC.

The link was: http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0200199802.html at the time of posting but I'd probably advice just googling "Camera Window DC" in future.

Turtlemanjim New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Problem solved

I followed someone elses advice on here and went to winodws services and turned on ssdp services and still picture service....that allowed me to finally finish loading the "Imagebrowser" software from Canon.....then it allowed me to import with the card from the camera......geez I feel better now

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads