Nikon 16-85 AMAZING

Started Mar 13, 2008 | Discussions
dave veneri Senior Member • Posts: 2,187
Nikon 16-85 AMAZING

Just got this and tested it....First let me say that I have a lot of expensive fast glass. having said that, I am dumbfounded as to how sharp this lens is across the board! Aside from the limitations of the slower speed, the lens performs outstanding and dare I say just as sharp as any of my lenses around f8 - f11! Honestly, I have the 24-70 2.8 and i'll be a monkeys uncle if i can tell the difference at the higher apertures! Havent tested yet for the wider aps yet but will by the end of the day. For the ideal portable all around/ travel lens look no further! IMO, the best walk around, all around lens nikon has made! Also, gone are the weird distortions of the 18-200. There is some barrel at 24mm but so does my 1700.00 14-24 and 24-70. I still cant get over how sharp this is corner to corner!! I'll post some pics later but from the 30 pics I took with this lens I can say without a doubt, just buy it! It will now live on my d300. lastly, the zoom creep is gone and the lens just begs to sit on the d300 in a small portable zoom bag : ))) Yes its 649.00 but the best 649.00 I have spent!
-dave

dave veneri's gear list:dave veneri's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV
Peter Gabriel Contributing Member • Posts: 571
Re: Nikon 16-85 AMAZING

Sounds great. Thanks for the small review. Look forward to see some of your pictures.
I'm almost certain I will buy the lens soon.
--
Take a look at my pictures...
http://www.pbase.com/petergabriel

kocho Senior Member • Posts: 2,690
I feel compelled to ...

... post here as well. Even though I decided on not keeping the lens for now due to $$$ reasons, I will most likely re-purchase it in the future.

My notes from my brief ownership of it are at the link below, along with a shameless plug for the sale of my 2004 Mazda MPV - call me if you want it! -;)

http://www.pbase.com/kocho/test_1685

You can see that the lens is pretty good in terms of flare resistance as well on this photo (almost full frame included here, but with serious contrast/levels adjustments). Only a pair of green ghosts are readily visible near the front tire (no filter used, hood mounted):

-- hide signature --
Tuan209 Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: I feel compelled to ...

Im also debating the purchase of this lens. I have been following the 16-85 posts here and so far I think I like it.

Over at Photozone, Klaus is currently testing the lens, and the preliminary results are looking very good according to him.

B Bretz Regular Member • Posts: 403

That's the thing though, wide open this lens will not compare that well with pro/fast lenses from all reports. Stopped down, a lot of consumer lenses are pretty good performers. Glad you're happy with your purchase, it is a great walk around size I'd imagine.

I just picked up a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and like it's size and weight as well. No VR, but in most situations, it's not needed. I also bought a Nikon 17-55 f2.8 and it should be here soon, going to compare the two to see which one is the best for me.

I was tempted by this Nikon, seems like a nice lens, but I want some fast glass. Hope you enjoy your lens!

-- hide signature --
d80russ Contributing Member • Posts: 812

I confess. I did it. It's embarrasing, but I shot the 16-85 against a test chart.

Sure enough, it is sharp wide open.

I'm now using the 16-85 + 70-300VR to do what my old 18-200VR did.

The image quality is better at wider apertures and distortion is less everywhere.
The big question is will I miss shots by using two lenses?
--
d80russ

sfnikon Senior Member • Posts: 2,298

the lens performs outstanding and dare I say just as sharp as any of my lenses around f8 - f11!

With all due respect most lenses are great @f8-11. I bet we wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the 17-55, 24-70, 18-55, 18-70, 18-200 at those apertures.
What differentiates great zooms from the merely good is what it does wide open.

-- hide signature --

Jake

sfnikon's gear list:sfnikon's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +20 more
coolpixboy Senior Member • Posts: 1,427
photozone review probably published on sunday

http://www.photozone.de/active/forum/ShowAll?ID=1097831A

dave veneri wrote:

Just got this and tested it....First let me say that I have a lot of
expensive fast glass. having said that, I am dumbfounded as to how
sharp this lens is across the board! Aside from the limitations of
the slower speed, the lens performs outstanding and dare I say just
as sharp as any of my lenses around f8 - f11! Honestly, I have the
24-70 2.8 and i'll be a monkeys uncle if i can tell the difference
at the higher apertures! Havent tested yet for the wider aps yet but
will by the end of the day. For the ideal portable all around/
travel lens look no further! IMO, the best walk around, all around
lens nikon has made! Also, gone are the weird distortions of the
18-200. There is some barrel at 24mm but so does my 1700.00 14-24
and 24-70. I still cant get over how sharp this is corner to
corner!! I'll post some pics later but from the 30 pics I took with
this lens I can say without a doubt, just buy it! It will now live
on my d300. lastly, the zoom creep is gone and the lens just begs to
sit on the d300 in a small portable zoom bag : ))) Yes its 649.00
but the best 649.00 I have spent!
-dave

coolpixboy's gear list:coolpixboy's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
thomas2279 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,876

congrats and I've just got mine for my D40x as a travel lens; next step is very slowly to save over the years for the 14-24,24-70 lenses.
--

My Pictures & Web Site: http://www.dltp.co.uk

Chandrahadi Junarto
Chandrahadi Junarto Contributing Member • Posts: 523

Thanks for the small review, currently I'm in the middle of saving for 17-55 2.8, bunch of thread of happy 16-85 user reports makes me tempted to buy the lens..
--
'See with your eyes - Shoot with your heart..'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/c_junarto/

Chandrahadi Junarto's gear list:Chandrahadi Junarto's gear list
Leica M8.2 Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T4 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tokina AT-X 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 DX Fish-eye +17 more
VRII Senior Member • Posts: 2,529

dave veneri wrote:

the lens performs outstanding and dare I say just
as sharp as any of my lenses around f8 - f11! Honestly, I have the
24-70 2.8 and i'll be a monkeys uncle if i can tell the difference
at the higher apertures!

:-)))

Ward Blackburn New Member • Posts: 14

Okay, here's my two-cents worth also. Yes, I picked up the new 16-85 last Sunday for my D200 and it hasen't left the camera yet. It has replaced the 18-70 as my walkaround lens for only a few more ounces. It has a solid (no creep) feel and the perfect all-around range, not to mention great results so far. Highly recommended!!!

DimensionSeven Contributing Member • Posts: 893

"lens creep is gone"

lol, it's a brand new lens... look at how it creeps after a year of usage!
--
http://dimensionseven.deviantart.com

DimensionSeven's gear list:DimensionSeven's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 20mm F1.8
PeteAce Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: some more samples please?

I'm planning to get one myself for outdoor shooting. It'd be nice to see some samples on how it performs at wide open @16mm, 30mm, 50mm and 85mm.

Thanks!

Photobug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,561

It's not difficult to make a sharp lens at f8-f11. But how does it perform at wide open?

Layne22 Senior Member • Posts: 1,213

Photobug wrote:

It's not difficult to make a sharp lens at f8-f11. But how does it
perform at wide open?

Yes, that would be my interest too.

-- hide signature --

LayneC

Grosbig New Member • Posts: 9

Go see this review in french!

http://www.lemondedelaphoto.com/Introduction,1023.html

Very sharp in the corner, even wide open.

niki_wind Regular Member • Posts: 152

My lens is on the way. Should have it by Monday.

point2 Contributing Member • Posts: 684

For US$650, it has better be good! Will wait to see how it performs wide open. Otherwise, the much cheaper Tamron 17-50 f2.8 stays.

arthurking83 Contributing Member • Posts: 611

Photobug wrote:

It's not difficult to make a sharp lens at f8-f11. But how does it
perform at wide open?

Well according to Nikons MTF charts the 16-85 should be almost as sharp as the 17-55 is at it's widest aperture.. so I think the fact that it's a new Nikon and Nikon's record with it's latest releases have been pretty good recently...One can assume that the 16-85mm will be better than the 18-200mm at the same FL value!

I'd like to see more on it's resistance to flaring..... my crappy old 18-35mm is woeful on such issues, and needs a bin to rest in!

I see in Kocho's shot flare doesn't look too bad. I like the look of the highlight on the bonnet(hood?) of the car.. looks good.

Doesn't appear to be much CA either. I want this lens as a main almost permanent fixture on my D70 maybe??? VR wil be handy, I have enough lenses to reach to 200mm's .. I'm not convinced of the 18-200VR!
16-85mm looks to be the much better performer of the two, so far.

roll on Klauss

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads