If Olympus Glass is legendary...

Started Mar 13, 2008 | Discussions
Topher5 Contributing Member • Posts: 540

Why is there no reviews of the Zuiko glass in the lens section?
Bias Bias Bias.

No wonder there is so much advertising for Canon and Nikon on the side from Amazon!

Tell the true about the product or stop saying your an impartial judge.

-- hide signature --

CA

3dwag
3dwag Veteran Member • Posts: 4,660
Good Grief!

Give them time - if you look closely, none of these lenses are in the higher-quality ranges. Good for intended purposes, I suppose, but nonetheless not the top class glass. I believe that dpreview are warming up to show more costly examples here later - in which case they are sure to garner many more responses to deal with!
--
-Dennis W.
Austin, Texas

3dwag's gear list:3dwag's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +19 more
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,344
Would you WANT a review from someone like THAT?

Topher5 wrote:

Bias Bias Bias.

Personally, I'd rather see Zuiko reviews from someone who actually USES them, rather than someone who has a (full frame) chip on their shoulder.

Joesiv Veteran Member • Posts: 5,497
Re: Would you WANT a review from someone like THAT?

you guys are silly.

If you read the e-410 review, you'll see that dpreview USES olympus cameras, and actually really enjoys them.

If you read the e-3 review and even the D300 review (and L10) review you'll see that they highly praise the ZD 50mm prime for being one of the sharpest lens' avaliable.

Why must you guys always dash dpreview for hating Olympus? Maybe they just review things as they are... seriously? ever consider it? do you read the words in the review? or just the "just" and the numbers at the end?
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Olympus e-510
http://joesiv.smugmug.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
OP Topher5 Contributing Member • Posts: 540

Yes DPReview scape-goats the glass for being the reason the e-3 beats the d300 in sharpness. A camera is really only as good as the glass you put in front of it.

I own an E-3 and am quite sure that all the pros of the Olympus E-System will be set aside or cooked up badly like the raw test files.
My hope is that they give the the e-system a fair shake down.
I love the mobilty I have with the smaller lens sizes.

-- hide signature --

CA

Topher5 wrote:

Yes DPReview scape-goats the glass for being the reason the e-3 beats
the d300 in sharpness. A camera is really only as good as the glass
you put in front of it.

If you wanna consider it a scapegoat that they praise th sharpness of the lens that's fine I guess.

To me though, it didn't seem like the lens was sharper as the D300 review in RAW the e3 looks softer, which was rightly attributed to the less sharpening applied to the RAW file. Since ACR was used for both, it would seem that the JPG's weren't actually sharper due to the lens, but more to do with the in-camera sharpening... but oh well...

By the way, people always talk about the details being so much better in the e3 compared to D300, but do people also consider that the e3 is using 100mm effective focal length, which means that it'll have to be setup farther away from the subject, thus making the depth of field much deeper?

I guess people can twist any little thing to suit their own pre-conceptions (as I'm likely doing too).

If you guys think dpreview is so bad, why do you hang out here? Stevesdigicams is always around among others. I personally think they do a good job here, sure they make mistakes here and there, but they're still human.
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Olympus e-510

Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
keggo Contributing Member • Posts: 535
Re: If Olympus Glass is legendary...

I agree, they could at least review a few of the lower level Zuiko lenses. The only reason I come to this site anymore is this forum... the reviews, I care nothing about, due to the lean towards the big two. Even if they review the ZD lenses... I'm sure they'll get Highly Recommended... (JUST).

-- hide signature --

Thank you so much for making me an Olympus user, feel at home.
For the simple fact of speaking my concerns.

Forums are an area of discussion not dismissal.

-- hide signature --

CA

Simon Joinson
Simon Joinson dpreview Admin • Posts: 5,019

Topher5 wrote:

Bias Bias Bias.

No wonder there is so much advertising for Canon and Nikon on the
side from Amazon!

(1) We've only just launched lens reviews and are working our way through

(2) Our tests identified a problem with one of the Olympus lenses we had, which delayed the Olympus reviews (they were actually supposed to be published beore the new nikon ones).
(3) Regarding all the advertising/bias comments: Grow up.

S
Simon Joinson, dpreview.com

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 +23 more

I just think if you launch a lens review area that you would prepare a WELL ROUNDED cross section of the product out in the field.
All the major players not just the two biggies.
--
CA

Brian Mosley Forum Pro • Posts: 20,741
What about Pentax?

It's not just the two biggest brands - there are reviews of Pentax lenses too.

Kind Regards

Brian
--

Join the Olympus UK Photo Safari Group in March, for free coaching and a chance to review the Olympus E-420 for yourself!
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=27079230

For details of this and upcoming free events, please email me at my address above / click below :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/email_poster.asp?poster=hjigidiuhv

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Olympus E-M1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 +2 more
Re: What about Pentax?

But there is a LOT of glass out there I look forward to your comments on the Zuiko lens and how you think they are well designed "Just."
Talk about someone who needs to grow up I think you do... "JUST" a bit.

Simon.
--
CA

Topher5 wrote:

Thank you so much for making me an Olympus user, feel at home.
For the simple fact of speaking my concerns.

You're welcome

Forums are an area of discussion not dismissal.

Actually I should apologize, anyones welcome here obviously. I wasn't saying you SHOULD go, I was just mentioning that its' an option if you didn't like the way dpreview does it's thing.

Dpreview reviews a certain way, that covers noise and dynamic range (oh no!! lol)... And it seems that a lot of people love to bemone that the olympus cameras often get rated lower in these categories. It would seem that those people should just find a review site that reviews the way they want to read them.

I would agree with the above poster, and likely you too, the forums here are really good, though I find other boards like the Pany board to be a lot more friendly overall. There's so much complaining on this board of how Simon and Phil do things here, it just makes me wonder why the complainers stay around.

I guess it's for the forums lol..

So my apologies if I came across rude, that wasn't my intent at all.

-- hide signature --

Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Olympus e-510

Oh no Simon.. you didn't...

Simon Joinson wrote:

(2) Our tests identified a problem with one of the Olympus lenses we
had, which delayed the Olympus reviews (they were actually supposed
to be published beore the new nikon ones).

you didn't just mention a possible kink in the Olympus quality control did you?

Yikes... that's another sensitive spot on these boards.. he he he...

-- hide signature --

Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Olympus e-510

Brian Mosley Forum Pro • Posts: 20,741
Simon is only human...

You can't expect to attack him and not see a sly retaliation

Kind Regards

Brian
--

Join the Olympus UK Photo Safari Group in March, for free coaching and a chance to review the Olympus E-420 for yourself!
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=27079230

For details of this and upcoming free events, please email me at my address above / click below :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/email_poster.asp?poster=hjigidiuhv

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Olympus E-M1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 +2 more
Jonas B Forum Pro • Posts: 14,596

Topher5 wrote:

But there is a LOT of glass out there I look forward to your comments
on the Zuiko lens and how you think they are well designed "Just."
Talk about someone who needs to grow up I think you do... "JUST" a bit.

Simon.
--
CA

CA/Topher/Simon, I'm not sure what you want to call yourself, posts like the one above make me wonder... Please tell me you are very, very young.

-- hide signature --

Jonas

Beezztie Regular Member • Posts: 359

I think we should be careful not to be biased ourselves with respect to how Dpreview thinks / operates.

I assume that Dpreview also considers the interest in the products they review and let's be honest, Nikon and Canon sell in much bigger quantities than Oly. Just check the number of hits on their products.

I'm sure there will be some reviews soon. On the other hand, do we really need them, it's common knowledge that the Oly lenses are very good in all aspects.

BTW In the march issue of one of our renown photomagazines, Focus, the 11-22 got a Focus Super award and the 7-14 a very good (only remarks on the latter were price and weight)
--

E-3 / E-1 / 50-200SWD / 12-60SWD / 7-14 / 50 / FL-50R / EC-14 / EX-25 / SHLD-2 / HLD-4

It was a comment that was simply directed toward Simon.

You would be wrong. I work for a multimedia company as their lead designer and been with the same company for almost ten years now.

All this because I asked for a Zuiko Lens review.

I get stepped on verbally by Simon and his cohorts.

-- hide signature --

CA

Hello Everyone,

I must explain that I am a passionate fellow.
When it comes to my Oly gear.
I apologize to Simon, and all others who were listening in on this thread.

I hope to be a positive to this forum not a troll please critique my work in the other posts that i have made with all severity.

Yours sincerely

Christopher AKA Topher5 on FLickr

This from an old Bolton Boy that will not call wolf any longer.

-- hide signature --

CA

Simon Joinson
Simon Joinson dpreview Admin • Posts: 5,019

Topher5 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I must explain that I am a passionate fellow.
When it comes to my Oly gear.
I apologize to Simon, and all others who were listening in on this
thread.

I hope to be a positive to this forum not a troll please critique my
work in the other posts that i have made with all severity.

Yours sincerely

Christopher AKA Topher5 on FLickr

This from an old Bolton Boy that will not call wolf any longer.

I think of all the DSLR players Olympus has the most to gain from our introduction of lens reviews (I told them this when I saw them last). We've held back the Oly lens reviews for two reasons; the E-3 (we're concerned the body isn't showing the full capabilities of the lenses) and some QC issues with one of the lenses, which we want to ensure gets the fairest possible test. If this is bias, it's bias in Olympus's favor.
S

-- hide signature --

Simon Joinson, dpreview.com

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads