which tablet - Intuous vs Bamboo vs Graphite

Started Mar 9, 2008 | Discussions
Yellow_Canon Regular Member • Posts: 436
which tablet - Intuous vs Bamboo vs Graphite

Is the more expensive Intuous line a must for precide Photoshop selections and masks, or will the new Bamboo or Graphite lines be good enough?

santa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,500
Re: which tablet - Intuous vs Bamboo vs Graphite

If all pens did was selection and masking then the lesser tablets would be sufficient. If all you need is that basic function, a Bamboo or anything will be fine. There are plenty of reasons to get an Intuos (I use a 6x12) but for some it's wasted money. For serious photographers using Photoshop to manipulate photos, the Intuos is the right choice.

giraffe Senior Member • Posts: 2,489

Tried a graphite - didn't like it and returned it. Now have an Intuous2 4x5 and an Intuous3 6x11 and love them. Better pen, more sensitivity - just a better all around tablet. However I would recommend the Intuous3 6x8. Have never tried the Bamboo - but you can't go wrong with the Intuous line especially if your serious about your photography or painting.
--
Bert D

Pesto126 Contributing Member • Posts: 842

Interesting.. I have an original graphire and really like it.. sure, I don't do full on art stuff in photoshop.. just photo touchup - masking, selections, pen, etc... but for me, it was a nice find used for $50 and really helps when a mouse just isn't giving you the control you might need.

OP Yellow_Canon Regular Member • Posts: 436
Thanks everyone for your experienced opinions.

Thanks everyone for your experienced opinions. Pretty much what I expected, but not having used a tablet before, my PP skills are advancing, and I find I'm being bottle necked by my mouse. I was thinking about getting the Intuous3 6x8.

Can I still use my old mouse or will I be forced to use the Wacom mouse?

giraffe wrote:

Tried a graphite - didn't like it and returned it. Now have an
Intuous2 4x5 and an Intuous3 6x11 and love them. Better pen, more
sensitivity - just a better all around tablet. However I would
recommend the Intuous3 6x8. Have never tried the Bamboo - but you
can't go wrong with the Intuous line especially if your serious about
your photography or painting.
--
Bert D

RobertCorrell New Member • Posts: 19

I have a Graphire4 6x8 and it's been very good to me. I use it for art and photo retouching/restoring. Having said that, if I had been able to swing the extra money at the time I would probably have gotten the Intuos.

There's definitely "overkill" if you want it (depends on what you're doing), but if you want the best and can afford it, overkill can be fun.

Robert

-- hide signature --

http://www.robertcorrell.com
Photo Restoration and Retouching Using Paint Shop Pro Photo - by Robert Correll

scabcrashmore Contributing Member • Posts: 578
Intuos 3 6x8 is it for me!

There really aren't too many people more cheap than me. I did A LOT of research on wacom and other brands. The button setup on the intuos 3 is preferable to me. 6x8 is a good size, even with two monitors. For me anything bigger would require too long a stroke. That, and the top line intuos series just has a nice "well made" feel. I see a lot of people upgrade, why not skip upgrading and go straight to the top and save the money.
--
Anthony G.
Louisville, Ky.

To be yourself, and no one else, in a world that tries to make you like everyone else, is
to fight the greatest battle any man can fight and to never quit fighting.
e.e. cummings

http://www.preludeimages.com

f8BeThere Regular Member • Posts: 282
You can use your mouse

I got an Intous3 4 by 6 inches a few backs. I like it, I feel i can do more now using pressure to control whites and blacks for dodging and burning etc. You can use your normal mouse as is. The 4 by 6 doesnt come with the mouse.

FredJamesPhotography Veteran Member • Posts: 3,972
Intuous is worth the wait

If its not in the budget wait till it is. Even if you have to get the 4x6 instead of 6x8 I would not go for anything but the Intuous line.

I bought both the 4x6 and 6x8 to decide which I like more and ended up keeping both and letting dughter and son use. I would start with 4x6 if that might be the case where more then one will be using it or you want one for travel. This way start with the 4x6 then if you get that much into it a extra 6x8 will be a nice ad-on. The 6x8 takes up much more desk realestate and not to good for traveling . The 4x6 on the other hand is small and powerful.

Here's my son on the 6x8

Fred

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads