Manual Focus Gem Discovered

Started Mar 8, 2008 | Discussions
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 59,004
Manual Focus Gem Discovered

And I'm sure that no one has mentioned this before .. Vivitar 28-200mm F3.5-5.3 A Macro - a metal bodied slide zoom made in traditional Series one tradition (rather than plastic Cosina AF tradition) .. It came attached to a Centon K100 body (chinese K1000 Ripoff) and after removing the "Ricoh Pin" and the rear baffle (which needs modding to work on DSLRs) I tried it not expecting much

The thing is Tack sharp edge to edge, end to end wide open !!.. it came as much of a shock after testing Sigma and Tamron Horrors for years (they're awful) - not only that but at 200mm beats a few 70-200mm lenses I can mention (Pentax's own 70-200 F4-5.6 FA for a start) and at 28mm F3.5 beats a few 28 F2.8 primes ! .. I was truly shocked - the best 28-200 I've ever seen, (including the rather sad latest Tamron XR-Di) is an old Manual focus lens and a Vivitar at that ! .. I wish this lens was AF but the only Viv AF lenses I've seen have been the Horrible Cosina varaints (their 28-210 is the worst lens I've ever used)
If anyone wants to see 100% Crops let me know..

-- hide signature --

Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III
Jarda_Houdek Contributing Member • Posts: 812
Re: Manual Focus Gem Discovered

You were lucky. If I'd see this lens on sale, I wouldn't consider it before reading your report. Sometimes the MF makes sense. I'd use it on my XR-7...

Jarda_Houdek's gear list:Jarda_Houdek's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
AdamT
OP AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 59,004

You were lucky. If I'd see this lens on sale, I wouldn't consider it
before reading your report. Sometimes the MF makes sense. I'd use it
on my XR-7...

I've used a lot of 28-200s, most of them are laughable - the Nikon pair are the best AF ones, the old D model for 28mm performance and the later G model for 200mm performance - both beat the Sigma and Tamrons by a significant margin (even in their weak spots) but this beats Both the Nikons at their strong points - a total Shocker..

I don't know if the lens would still work on the XR7 with the Ricoh pin removed, it'd definately work as well as a Pentax A lens does at least I guess but it's essential it's removed before fitting to A DSLR because it jams in the lens mount... I'll dremel part of the lever shield away and re-fit the baffle..

The only issue I can see so far is flare - even CA / PF is suprisingly supressed for such a lens.. I'm just amazed that Tamron can't make an AF 28-200 as good as this - and that it beats the Nikon models.

-- hide signature --

Jarda_Houdek Contributing Member • Posts: 812

It would work, XR-7 is pure K-mount without any unnecessary pins. I wanted cheap MF film camera with DOF preview and capable of longer exposures and multiexposures. XR7 did it. I'd be probably happier with LX, but for what price...

Jarda_Houdek's gear list:Jarda_Houdek's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
AdamT
100% Crops Wide open K100D Raw

At 28 and 200mm

100% Crops Wide open K100D Raw

-- hide signature --

VLampa Senior Member • Posts: 1,030

Thanks for this Adam. The results look good. Didn't know that Vivitar made a manual 28-200 lens. All 28-200s I know (from any brand/mount) are AF ones.

Walt_A Senior Member • Posts: 2,099

Sounds like it could be this one from a 1988 which lens review?

-- hide signature --
AdamT

made a manual 28-200 lens. All 28-200s I know (from any brand/mount)
are AF ones.

Sigma did one too, also a pump but was beyond Ghastly it was that bad ..

-- hide signature --

AdamT
Nice find walt !! (and a pic of the lens)

excellent find ---------- the BIG Question is - WHY are all the following 28-200s inferior (and slower aperture too) ? - the very very best AF 28-200 is the Nikon G model overall (even though its beaten at 28 by its older brother) and even that doesn't get close to the performance of that Vivitar.. also amazing is that it does it across the whole frame and not just a spot in the middle (like most Sigmas do at very best) - it makes a total monkey of all the 18-200s as well, including the megabux Nikon despite being around 30 years old..

Another shocker is the Prinz 100-200mm F5.6 M42 lens - it's so sharp wideopen that the only reason you'd want to stop it down would be for deeper DOF or less shutter speed - very slow but prime sharp..

Old Series One Vivitars are well worth looking out for - avoid the AF models or anything with plastic in the body as they're Cosina Horrors but there are a lot of them about .. this 28-200 isn't badged "Series One" but it's beautifully made..

Here's a pic of the lens - the focusing rubber is nice and Soft and grippy (not hard and horrible like Nikon ones) so picks up bits / muck easily

-- hide signature --

AdamT
Theres a UK one here

Ending in a day or so on E-bay UK - no it's NOT mine !! it's sitting at £3-odd at the moment, could be worth watching out for, you may get it for a fiver !

Item Number 180219957424

-- hide signature --

Pentaxtic Forum Member • Posts: 97
Does it say series 1 anywhere on the body?

And I thought cosina was a decent company.

Chau D Senior Member • Posts: 1,316

Adam-T wrote:

The thing is Tack sharp edge to edge, end to end wide > If anyone wants to see 100% Crops let me know..

Please forgive me for asking this stupid question, but I still need to learn lots of things. Occasionally I see posts that say "...100% Crops...", and I don't really understand what it means and how it's done. I thought 100% crop means... delete the picture, because think about it, if you crop something 100%, doesn't it mean you want to remove all of it? Obviously, I'm wrong. So can someone please explain to me how to do a 100% crop? Thanks.
--
Damn the Pentax Manual

AdamT
Re: Does it say series 1 anywhere on the body?

No it doesn't - but is definately of that stable (beautiful handling and build)

Cosina are a decent company when you're talking about recent Leica L and M Voigtlander Rangefinder lenses and the very recent Nikon etc mount Voigtlander glass but they made a run of the worst AF zooms you could possibly imagine - often rebadged Vivitar (series one - Sheesh what a Cheek !!) and Phoenix, they were beyond Ghastly, the only decent one was the 100 Macro F3.5 but even they couldn't screw that up..

Funny how the very very worst of their lenses was the 28-210mm F4.2-6.7 and the one I tried was badged Vivitar (Series One too I think) - it was the worst lens I've ever encountered in my life, it was that bad it could pass off as the worlds only superzoom Lensbaby ! - I later tried two others including a Cosina badged one and they were the same .. I can post crops if you want to see them but the're not pretty

-- hide signature --

AdamT
OK Here goes ---------------->

to learn lots of things. Occasionally I see posts that say "...100%
Crops...", and I don't really understand what it means and how it's
done.

Imagine me posting fullsize images from the lens - they'd take up loadsa space on the server and time for you to download .. so what we do is post just a tiny bit of the image (or tiny bits of many images pasted together in one file) instead of the whole thing so you can see the quality at pixel level (or 100%) without having to download a whole 6Mp K100D Image ..

it gives a true representation of the lens quality unlike resizing the whole image which tells nothing at all .... Imagine taking a newspaper - clipping the K20D advert out and sticking it up on a notice board - that's a 100% Crop .. take the whole page of the paper and reduce it to 6X4" in a photocopier and that's a Resize - and you won't be able to read the K20 advert ..

Hope that helps

-- hide signature --

Chau D Senior Member • Posts: 1,316
Re: OK Here goes ---------------->

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.
--
Damn the Pentax Manual

Peter Jonkman Senior Member • Posts: 1,007

In fact, it IS a Series 1 lens - but it only says so on the front cap:

Nice find, I need to get me one of these

jm_mac Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Hey Adam-T

I'm glad you finally made the rounds and are posting here in the Pentax forum.

I used to read all your recommendations in the Canon forum a while back, and when you moved to Nikon (or was it Oly), you were sorely missed. Your thread on the Pocket Rocket were classic (and I bought one based upon your input).

Are you using Pentax quite a bit now, or is it your fun/backup camera?

jm_mac's gear list:jm_mac's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a6300 Canon EOS 80D +15 more
AdamT
Re: Hey Adam-T

back, and when you moved to Nikon (or was it Oly), you were sorely
missed.

I didn't move to Nikon, I added Nikon but stopped posting on the Canon lens forum because the interest in old lenses died a death and none of my threads were being read or posted in ..

Are you using Pentax quite a bit now, or is it your fun/backup camera?

Ma has Pentax (K100D) has had one since May last year but dropped it so I had to find her another and while I was testing it, started playing with M42 lenses - gave it back to her and got an M42 adapter for the 1DS2/5D and ended up filling my work cams with dust (FF=Dust so as the hobby side of Photography has always been testing old lenses m I grabbed a cheap used K100D for myself last week ..

I still use Nikon for press work (D200) and leisure (D40) but neither are much good with ancient non nikon glass so the K100 is ideal and I'm finding some suprises - the best part is that 3rd party PK and most M42 lenses are CHEAP

-- hide signature --

CopCarSS
CopCarSS Senior Member • Posts: 1,967
Agreed...

It is good to see you here. It's not every day you find guys willing to use an EF 35-80mm on a 1Ds (that was you, wasn't it?).
--
Chris
Denver, CO

AdamT

In fact, it IS a Series 1 lens - but it only says so on the front cap:

The cap on this one doesn't say Series One but the lens looks the same .. there's an earlier version with slightly different cosmetics, dunno if the optical formula is the same so best to stick with the ones with the spikey pimples on the zoom rubber rather than the oblong pimples ..

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads