AF-D 35mm f2 Nikkor

Started Mar 2, 2008 | Discussions
Martin Zimelka
Martin Zimelka Regular Member • Posts: 316
AF-D 35mm f2 Nikkor

Hi.

I want to purchase the 35mm f2 lens as a fast walk-around lens with my D2x.

I already own the 28-70 f2.8 and am very happy with its performance at this focal length.

But...as a small lens, with equivalent focal length of a 50mm in FX, the 35mm f2 is very attractive for its price.

Would it be redundant to buy this lens while having the 28-70 at hand?
Does it perform as well for landscapes as the 28-70 does?

Thanks for the comments.

MZ

Martin Zimelka's gear list:Martin Zimelka's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +11 more
Doug Pitts Senior Member • Posts: 2,089
not at all....
-- hide signature --

...it is a low profile lens which will be smaller on your camera and will give you some of the sweetest shots....it is an excellent lens for color, contrast, and bokeh.

Martin Zimelka
OP Martin Zimelka Regular Member • Posts: 316
sharpness?

Thanks!

So far I'm pretty convinced I should get it. The 28-70 doesn't make it easy for me to take my camera along wherever I go. This makes the 35mm very attractive.

Would you rate it as sharp or sharper than the 28-70 for landscapes? ...from f/8 onwards?

Thanks

MZ

Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +11 more
Grug Regular Member • Posts: 265
Re: AF-D 35mm f2 Nikkor

Martin I love my 35mm f/2, it's lightweight, sharp and contrasty from wide-open, and it has a very flat perspective - all of which, combined with the 1.5x crop of the DX sensor, make it the perfect standard prime for your DX camera.

It also focusses so close it functions as a pseudo-macro lens! I suspect that once you put it on your camera it's going to take a bit of effort to convince yourself to switch it with 'the beast' anytime soon.

Martin Zimelka

Great, thanks.

Do you perhaps have a sample image? Is it very resistant to flare and ghosting?

PaulBearer Senior Member • Posts: 1,634
Different Perspective on this lens.

I had a 35 1.4 that was an outstanding lens, but I gave it up because I didn't like to use that focal length on either my D70 or D2x. Gaining 2 stops over the 17-55 was occasionally handy indoors when I didn't want to use a flash, but it wasn't wide enough for most of MY shooting, so I sold it to a friend who was still using film.

The 1.4 was a better lens than the 2.0, in both IQ and speed, but I didn't use it. I know that on the 1.5 crop factor it becomes a "normal" length, but I was not all that thrilled with the 50 on a 35mm camera.

If you want a relatively inexpensive lens, with good speed, on a small body [like a D300], it is a handy walking around lens: Light, compact, sharp, good contrast. But, it is limited in distance and only gains one stop over the 17-55, while giving up tremendous flexibility. I found the latter almost never came off the camera.

Now that I have the D3, I might buy a 35mm 1.4, as a walking around lens, since it picks up two stops, gives me a better perspective for my type of shooting, and is lightweight and unobtrusive. I've heard it has some CA on full size digital, but that can be controlled in software. Then, I could take pictures in the dark on a D3, and it's a better lens than the f/2.

Whatever you do, be sure to buy the later version of either lens - there are some very old lenses running around.

YMMV

PaulBearer's gear list:PaulBearer's gear list
Nikon D810 Sony a6500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 13,223

I bought one about 5 weeks ago - love it.

It's a sharp lens, with a nice look to the images. Good focal length for DX.

Very pleasant to use on a camera after you get tired of lugging around a heavy zoom for a while. Strangely liberating to shoot with a prime.

Can't really go far wrong for the price either.

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +35 more
qcpro Contributing Member • Posts: 987

truly a great lens...
Lionel P

here's a sample :

Martin Zimelka

OK cool!

I'm going to order it tomorrow! Should have it by tuesday.

Looking forward!

One last request please...has anyone got a sample showing the close focus abilities of the lens.

Thanks for all the feedback!

MZ

Steffan Mamcillan Senior Member • Posts: 1,160
I thoroughly recommend it...

This pic was taken at f4.8 on a full frame CMOS sensor (14NX), I'm happy with it and you can get close enough with it to fill the frame with a face (see bottom image taken at f5.6, I hardly cropped it at all, you couldn't view his ears for instance)

tingjunkie Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: I thoroughly recommend it...

I skipped out on the kit lenses when I got my D80 and bought this lens instead. I love mine! As for close focus, this shot was hand held on a breezy day...

-- hide signature --

Gas, Grass, or Fast Glass... no one rides for free!

Penelope420 Forum Member • Posts: 76
It's one of my favorites

I also have the 28-70, but the 35 is at least 1/4 of the size. It also focuses a bit closer, so it's more convenient in that regard.

I especially love it for traveling... it's wide enough to shoot landscapes, long enough to shoot portraits, and focuses close enough to shoot detail shots. Plus it's so lightweight I can carry it around all day.

-- hide signature --
msc1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,529

Martin:

But you own the D2x and one of Nikon's most expensive walkaround lenses. Surely you know what the focal length will do (even without all the referencing of 35 mm equivalencies) and what you can get from f/2 compared to f/2.8 ..... and whether you would really use a f/2 35 mm (okay, I'll do it too --- "50 mm on a full frame") as a landscape lens.
msc

I want to purchase the 35mm f2 lens as a fast walk-around lens with
my D2x.
I already own the 28-70 f2.8 and am very happy with its performance
at this focal length.

But...as a small lens, with equivalent focal length of a 50mm in FX,
the 35mm f2 is very attractive for its price.

Would it be redundant to buy this lens while having the 28-70 at hand?
Does it perform as well for landscapes as the 28-70 does?

Thanks for the comments.

MZ

avi Senior Member • Posts: 1,690

Hi Martin.I loved my 35/2 , before selling it to buy the 17-55dx , which I actually like more , to be honest , I wanted the convenience of a zoom, otherwise I would have kept the 35/2 . but I must say that it was quite soft ,at f2 getting much sharper at f2.8 but not really more than my present 17-55, yet , for its price and useability its a great prime .

I know that web images dont prove much yet im sending and image from the many I took last a few months ago in Singapore, ( many of the images in the my singapore gallery were taken with the 35/2 ) have a look at those taken (almost no light conditon) in the National Museum,

-- hide signature --

avis
http://www.pbase.com/avistar/avi_s_photographic_world

Nikon D200, 85D/1.4 ,50/1.4D, 17-55DX, 105/2.8D, AFS70-300VR Gitzo 1228, and 1226 , sb800dx , sb600dx ,

puddleduck Senior Member • Posts: 2,513
Its a nice little lens

.. although tbh I'm not convinced it performs any better than a decent zoom such as the Nikkor 17-55 DX or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 Di.

Here are a couple of recent landscape-y shots with the lens:

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads