To Pentax Ist Ds or not ?

Started Mar 1, 2008 | Discussions
Uloo
Uloo Senior Member • Posts: 2,916
To Pentax Ist Ds or not ?

My wife is getting really interested in Photography and likes to move up into the DSLR realm.

Here is our problem she would like to take over my K100d and is sugesting that I would upgrade to a better D SLR. But our problem is money.

I'm verry satiesfied with the 6 mp sensor.

So I was wondering how much of an upgrade a used Pentax Ist D/DS/DS2 would be from the K100d for me, since they can be had used verry cheaply now ?

If you have owned them both I would love to here your opinions.

Thanks
Ulrich

Uloo's gear list:Uloo's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +4 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 61,950
DOWNgrade --->

So I was wondering how much of an upgrade a used Pentax Ist D/DS/DS2
would be from the K100d for me,

it'd be a downgrade in every respect bar Viewfinder - the K100D is the best 6Mp Pentax there is (best JPG engine, fastest card IF and body motor) - even the Original D which had twin wheels and more buttons as well as a pent would be a downgrade as it has the older soft D100 AA filter rather than the Sharp D50 one the DL/DL2 DS and K100 have.. and all the older ones bar the DL2/DS2 have a small LCD..

Shame but there isn't a 6mp K10D really with the better SR and W/sealed body - I like the 6Mp CCD too (my little D40 has it) , its tack sharp and clean at ISO1600, a cam you can truly leave in Auto ISO without worry - Even a rare DS2 isn't the answer unfortunately, it's just a DS with a bigger LCD, they didn't put a decent JPG engine in the firmware or give it the K100's fast body motor..

-- hide signature --

Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon G5 X II Nikon D3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
bienenbernd Contributing Member • Posts: 998
Re: To Pentax Ist Ds or not ?

My ist-DS has a pentaprism-viewfinder, which is a little better than the penta-mirror-Viewfinder of the K100D, but the K100D (of my wife) has shake reduction.

I don't want to swap. and I hope my ist-DS will work for some time on.

There is nothing wrong to look for a used ist-Ds.

Best, Bernd

-- hide signature --

bienenbernd's gear list:bienenbernd's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Olympus E-M5 II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-S10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
Lars Holte
Lars Holte Senior Member • Posts: 1,213
Not a downgrade

Adam-T wrote:

So I was wondering how much of an upgrade a used Pentax Ist D/DS/DS2
would be from the K100d for me,

it'd be a downgrade in every respect bar Viewfinder - the K100D is
the best 6Mp Pentax there is (best JPG engine, fastest card IF and
body motor) - even the Original D which had twin wheels and more
buttons as well as a pent would be a downgrade as it has the older
soft D100 AA filter rather than the Sharp D50 one the DL/DL2 DS and
K100 have.. and all the older ones bar the DL2/DS2 have a small LCD..
Shame but there isn't a 6mp K10D really with the better SR and
W/sealed body - I like the 6Mp CCD too (my little D40 has it) , its
tack sharp and clean at ISO1600, a cam you can truly leave in Auto
ISO without worry - Even a rare DS2 isn't the answer unfortunately,
it's just a DS with a bigger LCD, they didn't put a decent JPG engine
in the firmware or give it the K100's fast body motor..

The *ist DS is a very fine little camera with a much better buffer than the K100D, better viewfinder, and TTL support so that it is possible to use an older flash like the AF280T or AF400/500FTZ or the Pentax ring flash with full TTL support.

I think it is better than the K100D in almost every respect - it just hasn't got SR.

I have the K10D and the *ist DS and still use the DS a lot.
--
Lars

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/larsholte

Lars Holte's gear list:Lars Holte's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +11 more
.Sam.
.Sam. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,199
Ds is one of the best

I shoot mostly with K10 now... but...

Ds is far more enjoyable to use. I really think the Ds is possibly the best Pentax, considering the size, exposure, ease of use,...

I have over 40,000 exposures now on my Ds. Ds+21LTD maybe as good as any small camera for street/low light photography.

-- hide signature --
 .Sam.'s gear list:.Sam.'s gear list
Sigma DP2 Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
pundit Senior Member • Posts: 1,477
Pentax *Ist Ds? - Great little camera

I've had mine for nearly three years.

I looked at a K10D last year and found it to be large and clunky in comparison to the *ist DS.

The *ist DS has a great viewfinder, is very easy to use and 6mp is plenty big enough unless you plan on regulary producing A3 size prints.

As for image quality I only shoot RAW so no problem.

To be frank with the size of memory cards these days and RAW conversion software such as Lightroom etc, I cannot understand people who buy a DSLR and then complain that the JPEG performance should be better - its like buying a BMW M5 then complaining it should run better than it does on standard unleaded.

Anyway heres a shot taken with my 'old' *ist Ds using a SMC-A 50mm F1.4...

Nols Senior Member • Posts: 2,997
Agree

Even though I own a K10, I'm still using my three-year old DS 50% of the time. There are still brand new ones available here and if I had some extra money, I'll probably buy another one.
Nols
--
'Ask not what your camera can do for you...' (oh well, you know how this ends)

JeremyLFW Contributing Member • Posts: 535

The istD handles in a far different way than any of those other bodies; it has much more in common with the K10 physically.

I would choose the K100D over the D[S/L](2) any day of the week mainly because of the better AF and SR, but I have the istD and it is a different beast...one I'd consider an upgrade. I have it and the K100D.

-- hide signature --
Uloo
OP Uloo Senior Member • Posts: 2,916

Jeremy

In what way is it different ?
I do not use scene modes.

Uloo's gear list:Uloo's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +4 more
HogRider_ Regular Member • Posts: 177

I love my little DS. That 6 MP sensor is still great. I even got a Samsung GX-1S lately just because I couldn't find a DS2 anywhere. I prefer the Penta-Prism over shake reduction anytime.
--

Will

http://www.zoto.com/wheelgunner/albums

Douglas Film Veteran Member • Posts: 5,687

The Ds is a great camera and is the only DSLR I own. It lacks SR and the JPGS are nor quite as good as those from the K1000D. It is a very rugged camera as I have abused it as have my sons but it still works well.
Douglas Film

Douglas Film Veteran Member • Posts: 5,687
zs45d67890p[=

The Ds is a great camera and is the only DSLR I own. It lacks SR and the JPGS are nor quite as good as those from the K1000D. It is a very rugged camera as I have abused it as have my sons but it still works well.
Douglas Film23EE\]=[ zX+10.,MXS"=; L.-0K,J98H 76GF54D3S2A1'

Cideway
Cideway Veteran Member • Posts: 5,707
Re: Not a downgrade

Lars Holte wrote:

I think it is better than the K100D in almost every respect - it just
hasn't got SR.

Every aspect except for AF speed and Image quality where the K100D trumps the *ist DS.
--
Some people's photography would be so much better if they left the lens cap on.

If you focus on the pixels you loose the image.

GMT +9.5

Pentax SLR talk FAQ
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=23161072

Cideway's gear list:Cideway's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Marc Sabatella Veteran Member • Posts: 6,679
Re: Not a downgrade

Cideway wrote:

Every aspect except for AF speed and Image quality where the K100D
trumps the *ist DS.

If you shoot JPEG, perhaps, arguably. If you shoot RAW, there should be no difference in image quality.

-- hide signature --
JeremyLFW Contributing Member • Posts: 535

On the istD, you have the following:

1) Rotator switch for focus mode (auto 11 pt, manual select 11 pt, centre)
2) Switch for metering mode
3) AF button
4) 3 manual WB settings changeable without the main LCD (read using buttons)
5) PC sync
6) Bracket/Multiple exposures button
7) AF-C option on AF/MF switch
8) TTL flash (DS/DS2 has this too)
9) Optional OEM grip
10) Hyperprogram and two control dials
11) Built in wireless flash control
12) ISO/WB/IQ control on mode dial
13) Top LCD has more info, and is backlit
14) TIFF option (pretty useless for me)

You lose the following:
1) Larger LCD
2) SR (vs K100D)
3) Faster write speeds (about 2/5s for JPEG/RAW vs 1/3s)
4) USB 2.0
5) SD cards (CF is fine though)
6) Playback is a bit slow for RAW
7) FN button (mode dial and other physical buttons)
8) Scene modes (good riddance?!)
9) Smaller raw files (stupidly 16-bit without any gain)

My main grip is the slowness of the electronics, but the handling is excellent and AF is better than any Pentax DSLR bar the K10/K20.

Uloo wrote:

Jeremy

In what way is it different ?
I do not use scene modes.

-- hide signature --
Cideway
Cideway Veteran Member • Posts: 5,707
Even with RAW

The image quality is better from the K100D then it is from the *ist DS
--
Some people's photography would be so much better if they left the lens cap on.

If you focus on the pixels you loose the image.

GMT +9.5

Pentax SLR talk FAQ
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=23161072

Cideway's gear list:Cideway's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Al F Regular Member • Posts: 122
DL2

The prices on the ist cameras make them very attractive. I recently bought a DL2 body for $225, and my 35mm Pentax lenses and flashes work just fine with it. I don't see how you can go wrong here.
--
A.L.F.

Al F's gear list:Al F's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 61,950
Re: Even with RAW

Not sure about that, the D used the soft AA filter from the D100 but as far as I know the DS used the same sharp "D50" AA filter as the D40, K100, IST-DL, DL2, Epson RD1 etc - maybe I'm thinking the DS2 (which may have been more than an LCD change) ...

Whatever, the DS hasn't got the fast body motor of the K100 or the one I handled recently didn't have anyway and the LCD wasn't up to much, the Viewfinder is less "Grainy" but didn't seem any bigger - I can't realistically see any reason to get a DS with K100 prices as low as they are, even Supers (with SDM support) are dropping..

-- hide signature --

Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon G5 X II Nikon D3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
iceblinker Contributing Member • Posts: 701

DS = pentaprism + 95% 0.95X

K100D = pentamirror + 96% 0.85X

The K100D has a brighter focusing screen (to try and make up for the dimmer pentamirror), but actually an LF80 can be fitted to the DS (without spoiling the metering too much). With this focusing screen the DS's viewfinder is definitely superior - and matches the K10D's.

I prefer the DS's LCD screen. It may be smaller, but has the same resolution and better contrast. It shows up better in bright daylight.

Those who want Shake Reduction AND the best viewfinder should go straight to the K10D and forget the K100D, if you can scrape up the money.

My advice to those on a low budget who want a good viewfinder, and don't mind not having SR, is to get a second-hand DS.

The K100D and DS may have lower noise than the K10D, but I think the greater number of pixels, the ISO 100 option and numourous other extra goodies of the K10D, make up for this - and make it a generally better camera. I was concerned about the larger size and weight before I got one (to replace my DS) - but actually it just feels right and good, so my worries have been forgotten.

-- hide signature --

Pete

iceblinker Contributing Member • Posts: 701

Adam-T wrote:

Does that apply just to JPEG, or RAW too?

Whatever, the DS hasn't got the fast body motor of the K100 or the
one I handled recently didn't have anyway and the LCD wasn't up to
much, the Viewfinder is less "Grainy" but didn't seem any bigger

Doesn't the greater magnification make it bigger?

A fast body motor is a nice bonus - but not as important as a good viewfinder, IMO.

-- hide signature --

Pete

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads