Viveza Question

Started Mar 1, 2008 | Discussions
FMPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,954
Viveza Question

I just watched the Viveza demo videos and have a quick question.What is the difference between Viveza and the controls utilized in Nikon Capture NX? Just curious if anyone else has this question or maybe knows the answer.
--
Robb
http://fmphoto.smugmug.com/

Why is it that the best picture you could ever take is always the image right before you press the shutter release?!?!?!
NPS Member
NAPP Member
WSSA Member #76

 FMPhoto's gear list:FMPhoto's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD
Pesto126 Contributing Member • Posts: 842
Re: Viveza Question

They are the same.. but with Vivizea you can use them in Photoshop instead of NX.. so for those of us that prefer lightroom to convert and adjust further in PS, it is a fantastic thing!

Twilight35 Senior Member • Posts: 1,043
Re: Viveza Question

Is it just me, or, will Viveza revolutionize Photoshop, or, will Viveza become another "RSE"?

Fred

Kent C Forum Pro • Posts: 25,803
Re: Viveza Question

FMPhoto wrote:

I just watched the Viveza demo videos and have a quick question.What
is the difference between Viveza and the controls utilized in Nikon
Capture NX? Just curious if anyone else has this question or maybe
knows the answer.

Don't know about Capture NX, but depending on the photo and the color scheme, you can address individual colors/hues/saturation/luminance in ACR's HSL tab. On the image used in the demo video, you could also address some of the colors in Selective Color adjustment in PS, as they do in the video. A real test would be to have a whispie haired subject with a background that has some of the same colors as the hair

-- hide signature --
Phill Brannon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,043
Re: Viveza Question

I just downloaded the 15 day trial version of Viveza, will put it though the paces. No doubt Nik makes great software, but they're very proud of it, so the price might be a problem. I'm just afraid I will really like it and want to buy. I"ve used Color Effect Pro for a long time and recently ungraded to the version 3. The control point tehcnology is really amazing and usefull.
--
Phill

migla9 Regular Member • Posts: 366
Re: Viveza Question

Yes, but isn't this the same u-point technology that's in Capture NX for less than half the price? I'd also prefer a PS plugin, but that's quite a price difference.

JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,576
Re: Viveza Question

Kent C wrote:

Don't know about Capture NX, but depending on the photo and the color
scheme, you can address individual colors/hues/saturation/luminance
in ACR's HSL tab. On the image used in the demo video, you could also
address some of the colors in Selective Color adjustment in PS, as
they do in the video. A real test would be to have a whispie haired
subject with a background that has some of the same colors as the
hair

While I agree with Kent that you can accomplish the same effects with Photoshop tools from the video the ease of use would go to the plug-in. It looks like the plug-in builds high quality mask with the greatest of ease based on color. One can create mask to use with selective color and ACR does some masking under the covers but Photoshop masking is not always easy and quick. The demo Video make it look so easy. I suspect it might not be as easy as the video makes it out to be. And like Kent I would like to see a high resolution image with complex area like wisps of hair to see how well its masking is. The demo looks promising it does not seem to need six extra tools like Primatte Chromakey plug-in to deal with color spill. But the demo image used had great separation of colors to begin with and has smooth well defined edges.
--
JJMack

 JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Kent C Forum Pro • Posts: 25,803
Re: Viveza Question

JJMacks wrote:

Kent C wrote:

Don't know about Capture NX, but depending on the photo and the color
scheme, you can address individual colors/hues/saturation/luminance
in ACR's HSL tab. On the image used in the demo video, you could also
address some of the colors in Selective Color adjustment in PS, as
they do in the video. A real test would be to have a whispie haired
subject with a background that has some of the same colors as the
hair

While I agree with Kent that you can accomplish the same effects with
Photoshop tools from the video the ease of use would go to the
plug-in. It looks like the plug-in builds high quality mask with the
greatest of ease based on color. One can create mask to use with
selective color and ACR does some masking under the covers but
Photoshop masking is not always easy and quick. The demo Video make
it look so easy. I suspect it might not be as easy as the video
makes it out to be. And like Kent I would like to see a high
resolution image with complex area like wisps of hair to see how well
its masking is. The demo looks promising it does not seem to need
six extra tools like Primatte Chromakey plug-in to deal with color
spill. But the demo image used had great separation of colors to
begin with and has smooth well defined edges.

And you could address the flowers and perhaps the green without a mask, just by addressing the hue in the dropdown. True, it's best to use an adjustment layer and mask but it isn't an absolute necessity. Seems like all the 'knockout' plugins - which is what this is to some extent - always use the easiest images for their demos

-- hide signature --
Anthony Halley Contributing Member • Posts: 753
Using Viveza ... as I do!

I purchased this very recently and wish to make the following comment:

I am a photoographer and use P/S to do minor adjustments to situations that I for varrying reasons cannot control when taking the shot.

I spoke recently at a photgraphic society and was looked down on for not being a P/S adict and spending hours on each shot tweeking etc.

Viveza is an incredible tool & makes use of the power of the P/S 'engine' and provides me with results in my workflow that save time - produce the goods and do the job.

I take photgraphs for a living and a carpenter doesn't spend hours debating how nice the chisel looks - he just uses the tool ....

So it is with me ...

Tony

drz Senior Member • Posts: 2,235
I couldn't disagree more

I'm a carpenter, and a good looking chisel is THE key to a successful... oh never mind.

I do agree.

D.

 drz's gear list:drz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Mr Moo Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: Viveza Question

Hobbyist here...

As someone previously stated, similar controls are available in Lightroom in the HSL panel. That works for me, and if there are similar elements in the photo which require different values I'll shoot it over to PS for an HSL layer and mask to taste.

Viveza looks to be an awesome plugin, but me wonders if the NIK team was on crack when they set their pricing. $250?? .... Wow.

 Mr Moo's gear list:Mr Moo's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Duluoz Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Viveza Question

I have been using this plugin for a few days now on quite a few photos. One of the coolest things I am not seeing mentioned here is that this plugin can be used as a Smart Filter. The other thing that makes it nicer than Lightroom's adjustment tools is it's ability to adjust a circular mask and pinpoint your adjustment to an area you choose.

Not to be boastful - but I am blazing fast and efficient when working in Photoshop. Having said that - I can't beat this plug-in when it comes to making selective adjustments like it does. It make my workflow EVEN faster. Where I would spend 2 to 3 minutes on selectively adjusting skintones on a model for example - now takes me 30 seconds... seriously.

$250 for something that cuts my work time in half - or allows me to let an assistant who does not know Photoshop as well help out in making these initial adjustments - is WELL worth it.

sanmaj Regular Member • Posts: 397
Re: Viveza - Sensational!!

I couldn't agree with you more. I downloaded the trial and have been using it for about 1 week now. To your point, color adjustments that you could do in Photoshop are just so much easier in Viveza. The ability to pinpoint an adjustment is excellent. Smart filter functionality marries up with Photoshop exactly. It is a very stable program and flows with ease. Adjustments that you make are just so much more natural looking in the final product. I do a lot of competitive photography work utilizing very exacting criteria. As mentioned, with Viveza, I am so, so much quicker getting to a final product. I also have used Color Efexs 3.0 and have looked at Photo Tools for producing work that has more dynamic contrast range. While those programs certainly have their place, I'm still sold on Viveza as the ultimate tool because it gives me the ability to control changes in a much more specific way. With other programs you can certainly create a myriad of effects, some good, some bad, some interesting, and some just a waste of time. Viveza let's you simply take an image and make that image all that it could be, especially if you're starting out with what you think is a basically good shot.

I'm still struggling with whether this kind of control is truly worth $250.00 though. At $150.00 this probably would be a no-brainer, but I guess this truly is a case of getting what you're willing to pay for. Oh well, I guess I'm in for the long haul given the fact that Onone Viveza really, really delivers. I'm SOLD!!

Just one person's opinion!

sanmaj Regular Member • Posts: 397
Re: Viveza - Sensational!!

Sorry about that!! This is a NIK Software package not Onone.

klarue
klarue New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Viveza - Sensational!! - for sanmaj

Hi sanmaj,

Would you be so kind as to contact me? (your email is private)

Thanks, Kevin

Allen Gerdes Veteran Member • Posts: 5,673
Re: Viveza Question

Looks like great software, but I could never justify the cost (sure wish I could though).

Regards...

Allen

Malcolm K Regular Member • Posts: 273
Great tool

I have been using it for about a week and it's great. The only problem is with low contrast small objects like the smaller branches in a tree against the sky. If you enhance the sky...say to make it deeper blue...the fine tree branchse have a tendency to pick up a blue color cast. Typiclly you can use a neutral control point to keep the effect off certain colors but the small branches...and i suspect fine hair detail....are a problem. Otherwhise, it's the fastest thing i have used and does a really great job. Yes you can do it with masks and spend lost of time but Voveza is fast and effective. Having said all of this, I'm still fighting with myself over the $250 which seems very high for such plug-in.

Malcolm

 Malcolm K's gear list:Malcolm K's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +1 more
Eduard
Eduard Contributing Member • Posts: 567
Re: Great tool

Not that I'm trying to push NAPP, but they have a $50 discount on Viveza right now which is burning a hole in my pocket......

 Eduard's gear list:Eduard's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +5 more
Kent C Forum Pro • Posts: 25,803
Re: Viveza Question

Duluoz wrote:

I have been using this plugin for a few days now on quite a few
photos. One of the coolest things I am not seeing mentioned here is
that this plugin can be used as a Smart Filter. The other thing that
makes it nicer than Lightroom's adjustment tools is it's ability to
adjust a circular mask and pinpoint your adjustment to an area you
choose.

Not to be boastful - but I am blazing fast and efficient when working
in Photoshop. Having said that - I can't beat this plug-in when it
comes to making selective adjustments like it does. It make my
workflow EVEN faster. Where I would spend 2 to 3 minutes on
selectively adjusting skintones on a model for example - now takes me
30 seconds... seriously.

$250 for something that cuts my work time in half - or allows me to
let an assistant who does not know Photoshop as well help out in
making these initial adjustments - is WELL worth it.

Duluoz,

Thanks for more details. Glad to hear it can be used in smart filters. Have you tried the trick of post processing in ACR and using smart filters in PS (via copy) then going back into ACR without rasterzing? Some plugins don't work in that case.

I'm also curiuos - you know how some adjustments can't fill in a blown high like in a sky (except you can with selective color) where white resists the paint brush set to 'color' mode. Will this plugin have an effect on such situations?
--
Kent

http://www.pbase.com/kentc
tutorial archive:
http://porg.4t.com/KentC.html

Twilight35 Senior Member • Posts: 1,043
Re: Great tool

I think you just cost me $200.

Fred

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads