.mac website

Started Feb 22, 2008 | Discussions
iowaco Forum Member • Posts: 64
.mac website

I am at the point that I need to get a website and am considering doing it myself using Iweb/.mac. Are there pros/cons to this approach vs. hiring someone to develop a website for me? I have seen nice sites using .mac and the templates look good. I want to have a simple, classy site that loads quickly, and consists of 4-5 galleries with a total of about 50 images. I would like thumbnails that enlarge to a reasonable size, and at this point not have an online store but only contact/sales info.

I would appreciate any input, and if you have a nice site I would be happy to take a look at it. Thank you to everyone who replies.

Randy

Tom M1
Tom M1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,817
Re: .mac website

You can make a nice site with iWeb.

Their templates are not that fast loading and even slower if you use .Mac's server.

I use Rapidweaver.
http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/showcase/index.php

 Tom M1's gear list:Tom M1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +2 more
Rob Bye Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: .mac website

I used iWeb and .mac to make my most recent site. I'm not very intuitive about site design, so I appreciated having the templates.

The first hour of using iWeb was tough - it doesn't seem as intuitive as other iLife apps, but I got the hang of it, and it was a breeze to finish the design. Check it out for yourself, if you like: http://web.mac.com/rob_bye/Rob_Bye_Photo_Website/Welcome.html You can see iWeb and iPhoto do a nice job of creating galleries.

I still have to point my own domain name to the new site, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Like they say, it just works.
--
Rob Bye
http://www.RobByePhoto.com

dpsteen Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: .mac website

Just went live with my site. I love how in integrates with iphoto and aperture. Easy to use and a nice clean look. I am also working on linking to my clients pictures using a password protected gallery site from iphoto. They just added a feature in the gallery that allows it to be a stand alone site not linking back to the rest of my galleries. Perfect for sharing photo shoots with clients.
http://www.steen-photography.com

rob outlaw Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: .mac website

I would partially disagree with the previous comment. This was discussed just recently on this forum as well. From my perspective iWeb and .Mac get a bad rap about being slow to load and much depends upon how you use the templates and the enhancements allowed to you through both of these venues. Both are very media rich and if you choose to take advantage of all of those things such as drop shadows via iWeb for example, photo albums and etc and so on, yes it can be slow to load, but certainly no slower than many of the flash websites I have seen over the last couple of years.

In addition because Apple tends to promote their website capabilities to hobbyist and individuals who just want to hang a shingle out on the web, often those individuals either don't have the correct tools to optimize their images for the web or would not know how even if they had the right tools. Having said that Apple does make extensive use out of png files for the web which are larger than and thus can be slower to load than say a gif or jpeg file, but once again there are ways of getting around this using PS or other programs. Each time you add an enhancement via iWeb you add another png file rather than gif, even text becomes a png. While the png files do produce a cleaner looking image they also tend to be larger, so one could create text in PS and the drag and drop it as a gif file into iWeb very very simple to do.

Regarding Rapid Weaver, tried it and did not care for it at all. And curiously out of the 3 links provided thus far in this thread the Real Mac page loaded by far the slowest. Their flash templates are abysmal IMHO, very awkward and not pleasing to look at or navigate through. If you want to do an easy flash gallery the ones produced in Lightroom are much nicer, easy to load into an iWeb site and link to.

The link to my website below was built completely in iWeb and served by my .mac account. Please let me know if you think it loads slow.

-- hide signature --
LWeissman Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: .mac website

I used iWeb and my site is hosted by .mac. I found the templates very easy to use and very easy to alter. I also tried RapidWeaver and really didn't know where to start. There are video tutorials about iWeb on apple's site and there is a great resource on how to use iWeb on lynda.com. I'm sure there are countless others.

Once you think through what you want, the process goes pretty quickly. My site is listed below - see for yourself.
--
Larry

http://www.larrysworld.net

Tom M1
Tom M1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,817
Re: .mac website

Yes your site is very peppy and your images are well optimized.

You can click my name then the link to view my Rapidweaver site:

 Tom M1's gear list:Tom M1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +2 more
martinimagery Regular Member • Posts: 193
Re: .mac website

I think it will work firne for what you're looking to do. Here's mine, done in iweb on .mac as well.

http://www.martinimagery.com

Bill Kobs Regular Member • Posts: 344
Re: .mac website

As was stated above I think that you could accomplish what you needed with iweb with some practice. The regular templates are simple and effective and dreamweaver is also good. There is another group 11mystics who also have a ton of iweb templates that are for all types of taste. The biggest downside to iweb IMO is the time it takes to put it together and learn it at first. It takes a little getting used to to set everything up but after you do your original template and just add it is a breeze. The upside is that it is typically less money than to have someone else do it and if you want to make any changes to your site you can do it in an instant.

The speed can be slow but is usually because of some overzealous creator of a site that has too many things going on for the average person. Case in point is this website that i did for soccer team that is going to give you some perspective on speed since it definately has too much stuff on it:

http://web.mac.com/bkobs2/Strikers/Home.html

Here is another site I did for the 2007 college bowls:

http://web.mac.com/bkobs2/BK_2007_Bowl_Picks/Bowl_Schedule.html

Neither are examples of what you were looking exactly to do but hopefully they give you some idea of the different things you can do. Good luck and look forward to seeing you site when you decide to finish it up.

Brendan Delaney Contributing Member • Posts: 674
I have .Mac site done with iWeb

Have a look.
--
http://www.brendandelaneyphotography.com
Travel and Documentary Photography

 Brendan Delaney's gear list:Brendan Delaney's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony a7R Sony FE 55mm F1.8
MacroLizard Regular Member • Posts: 137
Re: .mac website

great site and that's one of the fastest loading I've seen.

Thanks for the info on the png files. Wasn't aware of that at all.

Impressed by your site. Thanks.

quackagator Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: .mac website

rob outlaw wrote:

I would partially disagree with the previous comment. This was
discussed just recently on this forum as well. From my perspective
iWeb and .Mac get a bad rap about being slow to load and much depends
upon how you use the templates and the enhancements allowed to you
through both of these venues. Both are very media rich and if you
choose to take advantage of all of those things such as drop shadows
via iWeb for example, photo albums and etc and so on, yes it can be
slow to load, but certainly no slower than many of the flash websites
I have seen over the last couple of years.

In addition because Apple tends to promote their website capabilities
to hobbyist and individuals who just want to hang a shingle out on
the web, often those individuals either don't have the correct tools
to optimize their images for the web or would not know how even if
they had the right tools. Having said that Apple does make extensive
use out of png files for the web which are larger than and thus can
be slower to load than say a gif or jpeg file, but once again there
are ways of getting around this using PS or other programs. Each time
you add an enhancement via iWeb you add another png file rather than
gif, even text becomes a png. While the png files do produce a
cleaner looking image they also tend to be larger, so one could
create text in PS and the drag and drop it as a gif file into iWeb
very very simple to do.

Regarding Rapid Weaver, tried it and did not care for it at all. And
curiously out of the 3 links provided thus far in this thread the
Real Mac page loaded by far the slowest. Their flash templates are
abysmal IMHO, very awkward and not pleasing to look at or navigate
through. If you want to do an easy flash gallery the ones produced in
Lightroom are much nicer, easy to load into an iWeb site and link to.

The link to my website below was built completely in iWeb and served
by my .mac account. Please let me know if you think it loads slow.

Like your name
Like your site

 quackagator's gear list:quackagator's gear list
Brother MFC-J220
OP iowaco Forum Member • Posts: 64
Thank You

Thanks to everyone who has responded and provided links to their websites. You have answered my question; it obviously is possible to create a nice website in this manner. Rob-Thanks for the advice-your website is what I have in mind for my landscape images. Thanks gain to all.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,974
I love iweb

After years of having people design and produce sites for me it was very freeing to be able to do it myself. Here's my current site, all done with iWeb.

http://www.kirktuck.com

thanks, Kirk
--
Austin based portrait artist

Garrett Adams Contributing Member • Posts: 605
Re: .mac website

Rob,

Nice site. I don't know if this concerns you but in IE7 on my Vista PC the pop-up photo window cuts off the lower portion on photos that have the frame treatment. The un-framed photos fill the IE7 window perfectly.

As you're probably aware the "problem" photos do display correctly when viewed using Safari v3.0.4.

Rob Bye Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: .mac website

Rob, I have the same problem Garrett has viewing that particular image. Only the top left quadrant remains visable after the page has finished loading. FWIW, I use Opera as my browser on a Mac.

Garrett Adams wrote:

Rob,

Nice site. I don't know if this concerns you but in IE7 on my Vista
PC the pop-up photo window cuts off the lower portion on photos that
have the frame treatment. The un-framed photos fill the IE7 window
perfectly.

-- hide signature --
rob outlaw Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: .mac website

Thanks for the heads up, but I think I know what you are talking about as this sort of thing also showed up on my Mac Pro running win xp via VM Ware Fusion. Well I think we are talking about the same thing. No idea what causes it and have not figured a work around either, but it must be a bug in iWeb or .Mac perhaps although there are tons of special instructions within the java script and css pages for IE 7. One thing I tried was to hit the control & - key one time which reduces the size to 90% then you get the fully image with border. Probably not something most people would think to do however and it does interfere with the resolution just a tad.

Garrett Adams wrote:

Rob,

Nice site. I don't know if this concerns you but in IE7 on my Vista
PC the pop-up photo window cuts off the lower portion on photos that
have the frame treatment. The un-framed photos fill the IE7 window
perfectly.

As you're probably aware the "problem" photos do display correctly
when viewed using Safari v3.0.4.

-- hide signature --
rob outlaw Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: .mac website

I have a favor to ask, could you possibly send me a screen capture of what you are talking about via email? Maybe we are experiencing two different things after all with my version of win xp vs safari/mac

Thanks again for the warning.

Rob

Rob Bye wrote:

Rob, I have the same problem Garrett has viewing that particular
image. Only the top left quadrant remains visable after the page has
finished loading. FWIW, I use Opera as my browser on a Mac.

Rob Bye
http://www.RobByePhoto.com

-- hide signature --
rob outlaw Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: .mac website

By any chance is this what you mean by IE 7 not loading the page correctly?

Thanks again.

Rob

Piet Flou Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: .mac website

Iweb doesq a great job;
on the ther hand .Mac is realy SLOOOOOOW for hosting you website.

piet

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads