Epson r1400 with cis-whats your experience?

Started Feb 13, 2008 | Discussions
ryan Contributing Member • Posts: 649
Epson r1400 with cis-whats your experience?

Hi im just about ready to make the plung on the e1400 and a inkjetfly bigfoot pitment system. anyone have an experience with this combo? Or have you had luck with a certian cis system.

thanks,

ryan

LarryM. Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: Epson r1400 with cis-whats your experience?

Ryan,

I have the 1400 with Inkjetfly's Smallfoot dye ink CIS and I have no complaints.

It has worked well for the month that I've used it, with no clogs or other problems. My Smallfoot came pre-filled so I didn't have to go through the initial charging procedure.

The auto reset chips are a great feature. They just reset automatically back to full.

I'm not sure how pigment inks will work in the 1400 since it was designed for dye, but I guess you'll find out and let us know.

IJF only had one profile for the dye inks and the 1400, for Epson Matte Heavyweight, and it was very accurate.

Be aware that you might have to break the hinge on the ink cartridge cover of the printer to remove it.

Also, watch the ink tubing ribbon carefully when installing it on the printer. The 1400 doesn't have a lot of extra clearance on the left side for the tubing to go under the printer housing. You must have the cover open at all times when printing. Otherwise the tubing will get twisted as the print head goes back and forth. Trust me on this.

Good luck with the CIS and let us know how it works. Printing all day without worrying about ink cost is very stress relieving.

Larry

rckowal Junior Member • Posts: 43

Ryan,

I have been using the Epson 1400 with an Efillink CIS for about a year now. It has performed flawlessly. I print both professional photos & documents with it. To me, I see no difference in the quality when compared to Epsons OEM Claria cartridges. And, since I see no need for so-called "archival" performance, I don't use pigment inks.

To install any CIS in the 1400; you will have to remove the cover from the cartridge holder. This is necessary so the CIS tubing isn't compressed by closing the cover. It can be done easily by breaking the cover hinges - this will probably void the printer warranty.

Although it is possible to remove the cover with out breaking it (I've done it myself) it is not a simple task. Since I was concerned about voiding the warranty, I started out using Efillink refillable cartridges. They are not as convenient as the CIS but you can still enjoy tremendous cost savings. Once I gained confidence using after-market inks, I changed over to the CIS.

If you haven't yet priced Epson OEM cartridges, you're in for "sticker shock". It costs more than $125.00 to replace a set of them. "To add insult to injury", you will not get very much printing done with OEM cartridges since they hold very little ink. As some one once said it "Epson almost gives you the printer to sell you their inks".

William Pesch Regular Member • Posts: 354

rckowal,

You say the cover can be removed, but not easily. Then, please tell me what the procedure you used is. I to don't want to destroy the cover, if not absolutely necessary.

Somehow the right hinge pin receiver has to be removed. Is there a (hidden) clip or pin or something that has to be lifted, etc.?

What to do?

Thank you,
--
Gritty

Jebjeh New Member • Posts: 2

I've had an e1400 for about 3 weeks now using the IJF Bigfoot pigment ink cis.

To remove the cartridge cover--the left side has a spring so the top needs just a little push to separate it from the main case, but the right side needs to be clipped off--a small cut should be sufficient.

When starting the measuring off of the ribbon, note that the cartridge carrier does not need to go all the way to (the extreme) left when printing. This helps in getting just the right length so it won't jam up as mechanism moves left and right. The cis does work better with an open top cover, but if you get the ribbon length just right you can work with the cover closed as well. I worked this out after several trial runs.

It was also great to see how smoothly the chipset reset itself after the printer read I was low on ink.

However, after much printing during this time, I'm now seeing some prints coming out with two lines down the page, lines looking like a thin scratch whose cause I now have to investigate. It doesn't look like an ink problem. I wonder if other people have experienced this.

Epson 1400 Hinge Retainer

Gritty,

To answer your last question - Yes, there is a small plastic retainer that holds the right hinge in place. I had to remove a lot of the printers housing at the right hand side to get at it.

Since I did this about a year ago, I don't remember exactly how I removed the retainer except that it was with a prying action. There are some pictures of the retainer on this Efill
link.

http://www.efillink.com/Epson/1400.html

Enjoy

William Pesch wrote:

rckowal,

You say the cover can be removed, but not easily. Then, please tell
me what the procedure you used is. I to don't want to destroy the
cover, if not absolutely necessary.

Somehow the right hinge pin receiver has to be removed. Is there a
(hidden) clip or pin or something that has to be lifted, etc.?

What to do?

Thank you,
--
Gritty

OP ryan Contributing Member • Posts: 649

thanks for your reply. I'm really excited about the option of bringing my printing inhouse for an affordable amount. I had the r1800 a year ago without a cis system and it was drinking ink way to fast. Keep us posted how the pigment ink is working with this dye based printer.

thanks again,

ryan

Re: Epson 1400 Hinge Retainer

Yes, I was specifically looking at the right side hinge retainer. It looks like there are 2 "prongs" holding the retainer in place. You say to just pry on this retainer and it will come loose. There is no hidden pin under the clip or whatever holding the clip in place? I had been "lightly" prying on this retainer to see if it would budge. It would move slightly, but I did not want to force it fearing I would break something.

So, I just have to be more assertive you say. Okay?

Thank you,
--
Gritty

As I recall, it took more force than I felt comfortable with. But, it did come out in one piece without breaking anything. I think it's a snap fit "widget" so it doesn't just slide out.

However, since I have only done one of these jobs, I can't give you any assurance that it will come apart for you as it did for me.

Good luck

William Pesch wrote:

Yes, I was specifically looking at the right side hinge retainer. It
looks like there are 2 "prongs" holding the retainer in place. You
say to just pry on this retainer and it will come loose. There is no
hidden pin under the clip or whatever holding the clip in place? I
had been "lightly" prying on this retainer to see if it would budge.
It would move slightly, but I did not want to force it fearing I
would break something.

So, I just have to be more assertive you say. Okay?

Thank you,
--
Gritty

awgk Regular Member • Posts: 286

I know this is an old thread but I was curious on how you like your cis system

awgk's gear list:awgk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more

For me, the IJF system works great. The colors look really good. Had a profile made for the paper I useand can't tell the difference from OEM prints. System has automatically reset the cartriges 4 times already, which means if I had used OEM ink, I would have spent over $500 for OEM ink verses the IJF system cost of $120, and I am still have slightly more than 1/2 the ink left in the reservoirs. Needed a little help from Leo at IJF who responded quickly and effectively.

So, yes, I am pleased with the CIS system.

-- hide signature --

Gritty

nelsonm Forum Member • Posts: 90

I use both InkJetFly's BigFoot and X1 CIS on my Epson 1400 and R280. Both CIS's are performing great. Leo from IJF has bent over backwards with his support on question, concerns and providing free profiles.

As with all CIS's, using custom a profile for each paper type is a must to insure proper color output and frequent use or periodic test prints equates to no clogging.

I feel they have a superior product design and the CPC control provides me with nearly care free and absolutely height adjustment free operation.

I have found two important thinks to consider before going the CIS (any CIS) path...
1. choose your printer carefully

Some printer manufacturers are making some printers harder to have completely automatic chip reset operation requiring some manual intervention. The current Epson 1400 does not have that problem. However, the R280 requires manually lifting the lid and pressing a switch attached to the installed CIS cartridge pack.

2. The ink tube harness can stick to itself during printing operations.

Under some installation conditions, as the print head moves back and forth, the soft folded tubing harness can stick to itself momentarily causing a momentary interruption in the free movement of the print head. I have solved this problem by applying a small amount of lubricant to the tubing. I used axle grease. Just make sure the lubricant you are using does no interact with tubing.

MartySasaki Junior Member • Posts: 37
fading longevity?

Any experience with fading with the dye CIS inks?

I would like to go do some printing, but I know from past experience that it will take many trials to really understand the tools and buying OEM carts for the 1400 will leave me penniless.
--
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, MA, USA

Re: fading longevity?

No. Most of the stuff i print is corporate and industrial and not for long term display. However, there are tests being done by:

http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/acceleratedagingtests.html

but its a subscribtion service. I don't know if any of their test results are public.

camerashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,503
Noted for future use n/t
-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at http://www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
DaiG Senior Member • Posts: 1,078
Re: Noted for future use n/t

You say the cover can be removed, but not easily.

I have had a Fotospeed (UK) CIS for about 6 weeks - 600+ prints so far with no problems.

There is a thread on here which links to photos on how to remove the cover without breaking the hinges (the right hinge is the problem). Well, after 40 minutes of careful prising . . . it snapped! So I'm not convinced it's easy! The cover stays off so it doesn't affect the operation but possibly the warranty. This was worth the risk to me as the CIS has already paid the price of a new printer compared with OEM costs.

DaiG's gear list:DaiG's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more

I posted instructions on how to remove the 1400 printer head lid without breaking it on InkJetFly's forum with text & pictures.

http://www.inkjetfly.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39&sid=314e53fe46877fe365cfda51f3bb1163

Here are instructions on how to attach the wast tube without drilling holes or damaging the printer's side panel...

http://www.inkjetfly.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41&sid=314e53fe46877fe365cfda51f3bb1163

and placing the wast tank.

http://www.inkjetfly.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40&sid=314e53fe46877fe365cfda51f3bb1163

DaiG Senior Member • Posts: 1,078

Hi nelsonm,

I did my best to follow your instructions but there was no room to move 10+mm of hinge out of its socket. Possibly 40 minutes of trying weakened it in the end!

Thanks for the help though.

DaiG's gear list:DaiG's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more

If your referring to the right hinge that holds the longer pin...

You don't want to remove the hinge from its socket, you just need to push/slide it to the right enough while pulling the lid to the left enough for the pin to clear the hinge.

awgk Regular Member • Posts: 286

thanks for replying, I was on IJF site and they are offering 10% off because Leo is closed for a couple of weeks.

awgk's gear list:awgk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads