Missed the last cable car home

Started Feb 12, 2008 | Discussions
robes1 Regular Member • Posts: 134
Missed the last cable car home

Had an interesting experience skiing last week. In Chamonix the Aiguille du Midi cable car has a long (I think 24km) off piste run down, so you go up to the top & spend all day skiing down the glacier. We finished early & got the last car up 3.30pm to see the view, but the cable car then broke down. Normally they get you down by 4.30, but we were stuck up there & had to watch the sunset 6pm. I failed spectacularly to capture the experience on "film", but here are a few. More to develop when I get time.

BTW any best tips for pp of lens flare - inevitably I got it fierce in a few.

BTW2 anyone else noticed they tend to tilt the heavy E3 to take the weight? I've had lots (most!) with horizon sloping bottom left to top right. Must have weak/lazy wrists!

bobinsandyeggo
bobinsandyeggo Contributing Member • Posts: 987
holy mackeral!!!

What a BEAUTIFUL shot!
Glad you missed the cable car
thanks for posting that spectacular shot.

bobinsandyeggo's gear list:bobinsandyeggo's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +1 more
OP robes1 Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: holy mackeral!!!

Thanks.
A couple in the sunshine:

Robert999 Contributing Member • Posts: 823
Re: Missed the last cable car home

Those are FANSTIC shots. Please miss more cable cars home.

One question, how do you pack your E-3 for skiing, i.e., what bag, sling, case etc. do you use on piste? Backpack? I'm an advanced intermediate skier, but not sure I would trust myself not to fall and destroy it...any experiences with a crash?

Robert
--
Robert
Olympus E-3 & E-500, Yashica Lynx-1000

leas4 New Member • Posts: 1

Regarding the tilting....I spent a week in Mexico and when I got home and started looking at my pictures, many had a bad "tilt" to them. I didn't think at the time that I was that crooked, but I had to straighten and crop many of my photos. I was using the 510 with the 14-42 so weight should not have been a factor.

I use a Lowpero Orion Trecker II which came free with a subs to one of the mags. it's small and light and has the padded bit round the waist, so it's really like a bumbag (fanny pack) with an empty small section on top.

sergiod Contributing Member • Posts: 628
You captured it beautifully!

I read your writing first and you were quite off on thinking you didn't capture the beauty in your images. They are spectacular and you should be quite proud. I wish I were stuck up there myself if it meant getting those images.

Great job!

Sergio
--
My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies..

Knight Palm Veteran Member • Posts: 3,723

robes1 wrote:

Had an interesting experience skiing last week. In Chamonix the
Aiguille du Midi cable car has a long (I think 24km) off piste run
down, so you go up to the top & spend all day skiing down the
glacier. We finished early & got the last car up 3.30pm to see the
view, but the cable car then broke down. Normally they get you down
by 4.30, but we were stuck up there & had to watch the sunset 6pm. I
failed spectacularly to capture the experience on "film", but here
are a few. More to develop when I get time.

Stunning pictures, and yes, show some more of the High altitude sunset.
Did you bring your E-3 with you, when skiing down the La Vallée Blanche?

A couple of years back, I did ski that route, but started from Punta Hellbronner in Italy, and ended up in Chamonix, (after some walk where there glacier ended too early...). I had my E-300 around my neck part of the time, the rest together with white wine and sandwiches with Italian prosciutto in my backpack.

BTW any best tips for pp of lens flare - inevitably I got it fierce
in a few.

I just leave it, if too difficult to retouch.

BTW2 anyone else noticed they tend to tilt the heavy E3 to take the
weight? I've had lots (most!) with horizon sloping bottom left to top
right. Must have weak/lazy wrists!

Actually not. Not even with the more asymetric E-300 body.

Still, I sometimes have to adjust the horizons on some pictures, in either direction.

Knight Palm's gear list:Knight Palm's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-400 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 5,087
Wow!

That first image is one of the most stunning shots I've ever seen posted here.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

jrphotodoc Regular Member • Posts: 109

robes1 wrote:

BTW2 anyone else noticed they tend to tilt the heavy E3 to take the
weight? I've had lots (most!) with horizon sloping bottom left to top
right. Must have weak/lazy wrists!

Outstanding photos!

The saying goes when it's pouring lemons, make lemonade...in your situation, you made pure nectar out of adversity.

Working on my laptop, I don't have examples to show, but getting the horizon, or other orienting horizontal or vertical line, just right can be very

tricky when looking through the viewfinder of nearly any camera. Not a matter of camera weight, or weak wrists. More likely having to do with optics and our interpretation of what we are seeing. I have been striving to be more "tuned in" to the appearance of horizon when I'm shooting.

BTW, it can be very handy with the E-3 to use live-view when alignment is crucial Activate the "frame assist" menu item, which enables grid patterns on the LCD (in live-view) by pressing the info button a few times. (Custom menu 1D -> DISP/PC. Manual p 32,95)

Keep up the good work!

Jules.

Thanks.
Makes it difficult for panos!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads