P880 bad exposure switch?

Started Feb 1, 2008 | Discussions
lacix
lacix Contributing Member • Posts: 605
P880 bad exposure switch?

I love my P880! This camera gives me all what I always wanted, the sharp picture quality, color accuracy, and the versatility, for a very reasonable price. But...unexpected resets?
The most annoying resets problem on my P880 is at during exposure.

I tried everything! What I find, that if I pull the exposure button with my fingertip a little to the right and down, solves the problem most of the time. Unfortunately the camera is resetting it self sometime just touching the button. However, if the switch is on the "favorite" mode and viewing the pictures only, this resetting nonsense does not happening at all.
Anybody else out there with similar problems?
Thanks!

lacix's gear list:lacix's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +8 more
jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,656
Re: P880 bad exposure switch?

What I find, that if I pull the exposure button with my fingertip a little to the > right and down, solves the problem

How can you pull the exposure button a little to the right and down, I can not do that with my P880. Could you explain how you are doing this.
--
jamesm007

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z77/jamesm700/

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +12 more
lacix
OP lacix Contributing Member • Posts: 605

Just touch the top of the radius with your fingertip and try to pull diagonal right and down.
Of course the amount of "right" is just a small clearance gap of the button.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +8 more

Lacix, have you been a reader of this forum, and have you read of the problems of the P880? If not, how did you discover by pushing down and to the right that you could stop the P880 from rebooting. And so we can help with this problem you are having, how do you know when to push, or do you just push all the time.
--
jamesm007

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z77/jamesm700/

Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +12 more
lacix

I had the camera I think for three years now but this problem came up early in the third month.

When I tried to take a picture the camera just reset it self, and not only ones. I never abused the camera. First I tough that maybe the battery, then maybe the card, than maybe new firmware needed. This problem is very inconsistent. Sometime I have 10 or more minute problem free, sometime goes in and out right from start-up,

I get use to live with it. Doing this "trick" at action helps the situation a little. It works for me!

I think there is simple electromechanical problem, and force the button to the right maybe makes the contacts tighter. If the problem gets worst, I may take it a part.
S/N KKYEW547c3366

lacix

During exposure I pulling the press button diagonally right and down. This is helping me only during exposure. Most of the unwanted resetting happens usually that time.

There is a lot of P880 owners on this forum and we think its a great camera. It seems that some have problems rebooting as you experience. The facts are we do not know how many, if its common, or what causes it. A engineer from Kodak says it is the power switch on the shutter board below the button the is the problem. And that Kodak no longer has any parts to repair the P880.

One person fixed his P880 by lowering the button a little and that gave a stronger push to the button. The link is below. I do not suggest trying to repair it unless you know what you are doing. The capacitor for the flash can hold a very high voltage and may cause injury. I also do not suggest doing it the way PavelP880 did as below. There must be a clean way of getting the camera in half. There are two screws behind the rubber EVF, that must come out. The rubber EVF is removed with one screw. There may be other steps in getting it apart.

I give you hints in-case you do try I do not want you to ruin your P880. Do a search for more information on the P880 power switch problem and if you do fix it video it or take pics and let us know the outcome. Ask more questions if you like. Thanks for writing in.

BTW I must add the engineer says in every-case the cause may be different, and it may or may not be the cause. We P880 owners know nothing for sure. Please understand that, nor it seems Kodak knows.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1011&thread=26412791

lacix

Thank you Jamesm007!

DSharpie Regular Member • Posts: 266

I do know for sure that Kodak's support engineers are still researching this problem, so perhaps there will be a solution yet. Two P880's that I bought recently on EBay both have the problem, and it does show up most often when I lightly touch the nub on the shutter release outer ring. Sometimes it occurs several times in a row soon after first turning on the camera, but then stabilizes, allowing me to take some shots.

The 880 that I bought refurbished on EBay over a year ago has not yet shown this problem -- just the pair that I bought used recently.
--
Dave in St. Pete, Florida, USA - Kodak P880, Nikon D70

lacix

When the selector switch (the outer ring) turned to the “favorite” mode there is shown no sign of this problem. I can browse the pictures without this symptom. Even from the start-up.
I just try to localize this problem.
Thank you all for your help.!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads