New Aperture on Tuesday?

Started Jan 26, 2008 | Discussions
Canon Fahder New Member • Posts: 17
New Aperture on Tuesday?

Just saw this post over at the Inside Aperture blog. Rumor, yes, but something to chomp on...

January 22, 2008 10:50 PM
Eddy said:
BREAKING NEW APERTURE ON TUESDAY!!!!

Now that I got your attention, please be aware that this information comes from a designer friend in San Francisco that works with a high-end photographer. In other words, it is JUST A RUMOR! But unless my friend is putting me on, it seems like a very viable rumor.

Apparently, the new Aperture is a major re-working of the program starting with the foundation. (This would explain the long wait between upgrades.) We should expect to see MAJOR speed improvements. Other features to expect: 1) color controls not unlike Final Cut Pro, 2) all new web album features, 3) HDR support (he was not sure what this entailed), 4) quite a few additional manipulation tools including lens effects, clarity and vibrance adjustments similar to Lightroom and a "Filter Engine"... which he could not explain.

Personally, I hate rumors. And I apologize in advance if this does not materialize. But it just seems to make sense to me. The new 10.5.2 update will support the new Nikon cameras, PMA is next week, a road show with pro photographers is planned following PMA and Apple normally rolls out new products on Tuesday (for some reason).

Are the stars aligning for us??!!!!!!

Kirklander Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: New Aperture on Tuesday?

We can dream, can't we?

Paul W Robinson New Member • Posts: 21

If this is true I will be upgrading in a heartbeat!

Bobo Hodls
Bobo Hodls Forum Pro • Posts: 40,245
That's quite the teaser.

The scope of attention to a due version is - exciting? If it's at all on the level, that is. If not. . .

You're, where. . . in Maine?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/btullis

' Now, if you are asking instead why camera enthusiasts are more
emphatic than other enthusiasts, I have no answer. I've not seen
that movie yet. : ) ' - Joe Mama

Bobo Hodls's gear list:Bobo Hodls's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T4
Roy Anderson 4266 Regular Member • Posts: 410

I would have said I'd upgrade right away (assuming all that you've said comes true), but Apple's slow response with D3 support and their complete lack of customer communications pushed me over to Lightroom. I'm really starting to like it. Now I think I'll wait till LR v2 and see if it comes through with better storage/library tools.

Roy

Ghozer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,863
Agreed

Roy Anderson 4266 wrote:

I would have said I'd upgrade right away (assuming all that you've
said comes true), but Apple's slow response with D3 support and their
complete lack of customer communications pushed me over to Lightroom.
I'm really starting to like it. Now I think I'll wait till LR v2 and
see if it comes through with better storage/library tools.

Roy

Apple appears completely indifferent about providing prompt support for new cameras. I'm using Lightroom now too. And I like it a lot. Their both great programs but Apple needs to get off their lazy fannies and get support for new cameras out sooner. That and speed up the program and provide some of the ingenious user friendly tools that LR has, like targeted curves and color adjustments.

-- hide signature --
 Ghozer's gear list:Ghozer's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +10 more
John Rayl Contributing Member • Posts: 761
Aperture is stuck behind the OS team

Aperture is far less important than the OS to Apple Inc. and understandably so.

I'd bet the Aperture team has updates that they have been waiting to release, but the OS updates call the shots.

Tying the RAW conversions to the OS was a terrible idea.

Hopefully they learned their lesson and v2 is a ground up redesign to utilize its own independent RAW conversion engine, then they are free to put out upgrades at anytime, like Adobe does.

I too switched to LR for many reasons. Speed, killer color controls, reliability, vignette tool, speed of use even after 6-8 hours of heavy use, oh and the export quality is far superior IMO.

-- hide signature --

'My mind is a gallery full of beautiful pictures that I should have taken'

OP Canon Fahder New Member • Posts: 17
Re: That's quite the teaser.

Yup. The great state of Maine!

If I were a betting man, I would say the odds are very high for an Aperture release in the next 2 weeks. I'm not holding my breath for Tuesday though. (But I will be checking the Apple website Tuesday morning!

Bob Tullis wrote:

The scope of attention to a due version is - exciting? If it's at
all on the level, that is. If not. . .

You're, where. . . in Maine?

noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,797
Re: Aperture is stuck behind the OS team

Hopefully they learned their lesson and v2 is a ground up redesign to
utilize its own independent RAW conversion engine, then they are free
to put out upgrades at anytime, like Adobe does.

So you suggest for Apple to use different raw conversion engines for Aperture and iPhoto (and all other apps that display images like Mail, Preview, Finder etc.)?

People have suggested that limited resources and low priorities are to blame for the slow pace in adding new cameras. That might play a role for sure. But the main reason, I think, is simply that Apple wants to keep the number of possible OS versions and the number of OS updates as low as possible.

MatthewRogers Regular Member • Posts: 317

I don't know how many times I need to post this but I will everytime someone blurts of this bull.

The raw updates are not, I repeat not tied to the OS updates. We've had one separate raw update in the past. The raw updates are just bundles that get installed into the system and are completely separate.

-- hide signature --

Matthew Rogers
matthew@rogers.name

Robert Daniels
Robert Daniels Regular Member • Posts: 362

Too be honest I am looking very forward to the new Aperture as it was the the first of its kind...along comes Adobe and runs away with the prize. However , I will love to come back to Aperture. I really hope Apple puts their all behind this award winning App.
--
Nikon forever... Babe!

noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,797

The raw updates are not, I repeat not tied to the OS updates. We've
had one separate raw update in the past. The raw updates are just
bundles that get installed into the system and are completely
separate.

That is absolutely correct. The question should be why Apple has in 9 out of 10 cases (I have not counted, it could be 4 out of 5) released raw updates wrapped into OS updates?

(My answer is in my posts from a few hours ago.)

mxs Senior Member • Posts: 1,385
Whatever the reasons for Apple are,

I've done pretty much the same. Using LR now and quite like it. Surely it's not perfect, but due to its speed, it's a lot more usable on my old iMac.

Cheers,

Marek

WYendor Forum Member • Posts: 63

On one side as you said "Apple wants to keep the number of possible OS versions and the number of OS updates as low as possible" on other side RAW support for new cameras. So far #1 wins, which means its priority is higher. For alternative solution, Apple will also want keep the number of possible AP versions as low as possible, right?

Dark Adept Regular Member • Posts: 196

WYendor wrote:

On one side as you said "Apple wants to keep the number of possible
OS versions and the number of OS updates as low as possible" on other
side RAW support for new cameras. So far #1 wins, which means its
priority is higher. For alternative solution, Apple will also want
keep the number of possible AP versions as low as possible, right?

You're comparing, er, apples and oranges here. RAW updates and operating system updates are rolled out to every single Mac OS X user, which is what they're trying to minimize. Application updates are only rolled out to customers of the application, and I think I can state from experience that if you're using a ton of Apple applications they don't hold back on updates. They come fast and furious from time to time.

Dark Adept's gear list:Dark Adept's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +1 more
WYendor Forum Member • Posts: 63

I agree from support point of view that OS update has more impact. If we assume that camera RAW support is ready is waiting for OS update (again it is assumption only, may they did not even start work on it), it means Apple consider camera RAW update less important than headache caused one more OS update; otherwise Apple can issue RAW update w/o waiting for other bugs fixed. On other hand, if we assume that camera RAW update is not ready yet – it means not enough resources working on this. In both case, from Apple perspective camera RAW support had less priority than RAW support from customer point of view. In my opinion lack (from our standpoint of course) of priority is the only thing we can say reliably; “waiting for OS” or “not enough resources” are details, which can be overcame, if Apple considers camera RAW as priority.

Btw, I don’t see that Aperture is updated fast even without RAW support, and based on Aperture support forums this is not exactly bug free application.

StephaneB Senior Member • Posts: 1,039

Makes no practical difference. RAW updates come too slowly and Aperture is loosing users because of that. Moreover it creates uncertainty and unpredictability, which is really bad for a pro (meaning revenue-enabling) application.

By the way, RAW files are treated by CoreImage, which IS a part of the OS. And that's a big problem. The Aperture development boss has nothing to say to those guys.

StephaneB's gear list:StephaneB's gear list
Nikon D850 +4 more
macphoto Regular Member • Posts: 204

I know it was only a rumor, but I really had my hopes up that this would FINALLY be the day that Aperture was updated.

I find it sad and disturbing... with Aperture and Lightroom battling for market share, Apple is basically handing untold numbers of customers over to the competition due to their unwillingness to promptly support new cameras.

I'm starting to wonder if that "almost the entire Aperture team has been fired, the app is dead" story that came out a while back might actually be true.

-- hide signature --

Michael

jozey Forum Member • Posts: 73

I'm not so sure. Take a look at the photo events and road shows Apple is attending this spring. I would think they would not plan so many appearances if all they had to flog was version 1. Big Marketing always follows a new release.
But Joe might feel his team are just masochists so who knows anyway !

David 247
David 247 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,322

macphoto wrote:

I know it was only a rumor, but I really had my hopes up that this
would FINALLY be the day that Aperture was updated.

Still a little time. Remember that Apple is on Pacific time, and it is only 8:37 AM there as I write this. An announcement today could be any time in the next 7 hours.

I also hope that there is some kind of an announcement soon. I really prefer Aperture to Lightroom but must have better RAW support for newer cameras like my Oly E-3. I do agree that the most logical time to announce would be before or at PMA so am willing to give them the "week".

-- hide signature --

• David

'The most important feature of any camera is 'Will you want to use it'.
http://www.dwrobinson.smugmug.com
http://www.pbase.com/brdavid/

David 247's gear list:David 247's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads