How to adjust new NEC LCD2690?

Started Jan 22, 2008 | Discussions
Mallomar New Member • Posts: 16
How to adjust new NEC LCD2690?

My new 2690 arrived today (the non-SV version -- I couldn't find the SV version in stock, and will probably buy the SV kit from NEC) and I can't figure out how to adjust it so I can actually use it!

First off, I am technologically challenged. Not good at figuring things out. I assumed the monitor would be usable (not perfect, but usable) right out of the box, but I can hardly see what I'm doing. The image retention (not sure if that's the right term -- when I open a new window or move something, I can still see the old image showing through) is really bad, the solid areas are pinstriped, and a lot of the black text is showing up as green and purple.

I fiddled with OSM and couldn't fix the problems, then installed Naviset but didn't have any better luck.

I am operating on the assumption that there's nothing actually wrong with the monitor, just with my ability to fine-tune the display. I did try using both the digital and analog cables, and the display seemed about the same.

I would really appreciate any information on cause the display problems, and how to fix them.

FWIW, I'll be using this monitor to create press-ready color publications, so my final products wll be CMYK.

TIA!

Tamlin_WSGF Forum Member • Posts: 83
Re: How to adjust new NEC LCD2690?

Mallomar wrote:

My new 2690 arrived today (the non-SV version -- I couldn't find the
SV version in stock, and will probably buy the SV kit from NEC) and I
can't figure out how to adjust it so I can actually use it!

First off, I am technologically challenged. Not good at figuring
things out. I assumed the monitor would be usable (not perfect, but
usable) right out of the box, but I can hardly see what I'm doing.
The image retention (not sure if that's the right term -- when I open
a new window or move something, I can still see the old image showing
through) is really bad, the solid areas are pinstriped, and a lot of
the black text is showing up as green and purple.

I fiddled with OSM and couldn't fix the problems, then installed
Naviset but didn't have any better luck.

I am operating on the assumption that there's nothing actually wrong
with the monitor, just with my ability to fine-tune the display. I
did try using both the digital and analog cables, and the display
seemed about the same.

I would really appreciate any information on cause the display
problems, and how to fix them.

FWIW, I'll be using this monitor to create press-ready color
publications, so my final products wll be CMYK.

TIA!

I've had this screen for almost a year now and didn't have problems with image persistance. Why you get it as new, might be because the screens matrix isn't fully charged yet. Make a fully white picture in 1920x1200 and run it full screen over night. Turn down brightness to save backlight and make sure screensaver or sleep mode doesn't interrupt this. If the problem still persists and haven't been reduced, return the screen for a new one.

As for black, cleartype often causes such problems, but I am using cleartype and don't have it. On this screen, you can calibrate the color of black. In the advanced menu, you have RGB options for that, but changing your settings might work also. With Spectraview, these things won't be an issue, since it will do everything automatically for you according to your targets.

If you are doing pre-press work, you should have a low brightness and also select a low white point. Unfortunately, the profile you get with the screen is not made for prepress and unless you have a calibrator, there will be some mismatches. This is common with all screens.

What I suggest you do until you get Spectraview or can borrow a calibrator is to use the presets.

Turn off your screen and turn it on again while holding input button. Now press menu and you'll see the advanced menu. Without calibrator, you should limit your adjustments.

If you have already fiddled with controls, go first to tag 8 and choose factory preset.

In Tag 1:

Set auto luminance to 3 (for color and brightness). Adjust brightness down to the level you want. It will take time while the screen internally calibrates and stabilizes the brightness, so don't think how it looks yet.

You can adjust the black level here, but don't touch it yet. This might solve itself.

In Tag 5:

Set gamma selection to 2.2. This activates the 12-bit gamma correction. If you want another target, choose CST (custom) and choose your value.

In Tag 6:

Choose one of the presets for your color temperature target. Start with 3 (good for print) and adjust it if you wish another target. The ambient lighting in your room will determine how yellow that preset will look like, but it would match your prints better.

In Tag 7:

Turn off colorcomp. Pull up a full white screen and see if its uniform. Compensate with colorcomp (level 1-5) if its not uniform. If its uniform, turn it off. Colorcomp reduces brightness when used, so you might need to compensate by going back to tag 1 and up the brightness a little.

Report back how it looks and what you need adjusted.

dalpilot New Member • Posts: 19

It sure sounds like there's problem with your 2690. If you already have a hardware calibration device, or can borrow one, you can download a trial version of SpectraView 4.1 Profiler at this site:
http://www.spectraview.nec-display-solutions.com/

It will not calibrate the monitors internal LUT like the SpectraView II software, but it will perform a calibration wherein the software adjusts the monitor brightness, contrast, black level, and video card LUT. You can also us it to produce just a profile of your monitor. Doing that should let you see if there is really a problem.

You do need to register to get the software, but it is free. Hope this helps.

Greg

Ben_Egbert Forum Pro • Posts: 20,228

My monitor never had those issues no matter how I had it set, and I have played with all the settings. I even started out with an analog card. It sounds to me like the monitor has an issue.
--
http://www.pbase.com/roserus/root

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
OP Mallomar New Member • Posts: 16

Thanks for your detailed response. I'll experiment with the settings this evening, and maybe try the matrix-charging thing overnight.

How would I create a full white screen? If I open a page in Photoshop and create a white screen, even if I close all palettes and toolbars, there will still be elements of the Photoshop window that I won't be able to get rid of, and I wouldn't want those to burn in.

Thanks.

Tamlin_WSGF wrote:

I've had this screen for almost a year now and didn't have problems
with image persistance. Why you get it as new, might be because the
screens matrix isn't fully charged yet. Make a fully white picture in
1920x1200 and run it full screen over night. Turn down brightness to
save backlight and make sure screensaver or sleep mode doesn't
interrupt this. If the problem still persists and haven't been
reduced, return the screen for a new one.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I called NEC and the monitor has been pronounced DOA. (The guy said these problems are NOT normal, even right out of the box.)

Assuming NEC authorizes it as DOA (and I don't see how they wouldn't), it'll be replaced with another new one.

So I have a week or so to wait, but at least I don't have to waste any more time fiddling with something I'd never be able to fix!

Thanks again. The quick responses were very helpful in determining that this was not fixable.

Brian Miller
Brian Miller Regular Member • Posts: 475

Greg --

Thanks for the profiler link. Google translate failed on the reg page. Can you tell me what these fields want?

Strasse, Nr.:*

Zusatz:

PLZ:*

Try this link instead:

http://www.spectraview.nec-display-solutions.com/license/?oemId=3&language=en

It'll take you directly to the login/register page in english. The program is in english and from there the download instruction are too.

Greg

I'm assuming I can't upload photos here, but I hope it's okay to post a link to my photos:

mallomar.net/modern/NECphotos.zip

NEC seems to be waffling on replacing my monitor -- someone seems to think what I am seeing is "normal" image persistence -- so I shot these digital photos and e-mailed them to NEC tech support. I understand that they may not be able to envision the extent of the problem from my verbal description.

I would really appreciate it if anyone wants to look at the photos and let me know if the display could possibly be considered normal for any monitor, let alone the NEC. I shot Explorer windows, Photoshop, the NEC home page in Explorer, my desktop, etc.

All I know is that I have NEVER seen anything like this on my two cheapo LCDs, any of my friends' LCDs, or the ones on display in any of the computer stores.

TIA.

I took a look at your photos. That is NOT normal. Do you by any chance have two computers hooked up to the screen? It shouldn't matter, but it looks like you have a directory display, or menu of some sort showing weakly in the background as if being supplied by another computer. That would indicate a problem with the input switching/selection circuitry. If you don't have another computer hooked up to the monitor, then it is REALLY strange. Have you tried using the OSM to reset to Factory Setting? If that doesn't work you might try displaying an all white screen for an hour or so. But I think it really needs to go back to NEC.

Greg

Thanks for looking at my snapshots. No, I don't have two computers hooked up to the screen. What you see are ghosts of directories, menus, palettes, windows, etc. that persist (for several minutes, although I haven't timed it) after I open other windows or move things around.

I did try resetting to factory settings -- a couple of times! -- but it didn't make any difference. I'm anxious to find out what the NEC tech people think.

So are my images different from what people refer to as ghosting or image persistence?

So are my images different from what people refer to as ghosting or image > persistence?

Yes. While what you have there is certainly a case of image persistence, it is WAY beyond what anyone with a properly functioning monitor would see.

Persistence on an LCD monitor is temporary and only occurs (normally) when the monitor has been left displaying a static image for an extended period of time - like hours. Simply, displaying an image for a few minutes should not generate any visible after image. I don't have a 2690, mine is a 2490, but I have never seen any persistence or after image on this, or any of the several other LCDs I have.

The NEC LCD2690WUXi is an expensive, high end monitor. There is no way what you are seeing is normal or NEC simply would have no buyers for that product.

Greg

Will49 Regular Member • Posts: 225

There is something definitely wrong with the panel on your 2690. If NEC tech support has not moved on sending you a replacement (there should be no question of this after they see the images you provided), PM me and I will get it taken care of. You have a full 4 year warranty and replacement on the monitor so nothing to worry about there.

Sorry for the inconvenience of a DOA monitor.
--
Will Hollingworth
Manager of OEM Product Design & Development Engineering
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

Will,

Thanks so much for offering to intervene on my behalf. I really appreciate it.

I called tech support this morning. A couple of the tech guys looked at the photos I e-mailed and agreed that something was very wrong. They said they hadn't seen anything quite like it before and that the monitor would probably be sent to the engineering department to look at.

Unfortunately, then we hit a snag -- they have NO 2690's in stock, so it could be quite a while before they would be able to send a replacement unit. I even had them check to see if they had the LCD2690WUxi-SV model in stock, since I was planning to buy the SV kit separately anyway. If the SV model had been in stock, maybe they could have just charged me for the cost of the SV kit and shipped me the SV model. But they didn't have any of the SV models in stock either.

Since this monitor is unusable, they suggested I return it to the vendor (Buy.com) for replacement.

So I got an RMA from Buy.com, packed up the monitor and it's on its way to UPS right now. Once Buy.com has processed the return (hopefully they will agree that it's DOA), they'll send me a new one.

But since the DOA unit is going back to Buy.com and not to NEC, it probably means the engineers will never see it.

Marlene

Will49 wrote:

There is something definitely wrong with the panel on your 2690. If
NEC tech support has not moved on sending you a replacement (there
should be no question of this after they see the images you
provided), PM me and I will get it taken care of. You have a full 4
year warranty and replacement on the monitor so nothing to worry
about there.

Sorry for the inconvenience of a DOA monitor.
--
Will Hollingworth
Manager of OEM Product Design & Development Engineering
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

My new monitor arrived on Valentine's Day, and the display is perfectly gorgeous. Really -- I don't see any problem pixels or anything. If it's not perfect, it's as close as it gets.

And it looks so good right out of the box (well, after I turned down the brightness), that I'm not rushing to buy the Spectraview kit, but I probably will order it at some point.

This monitor was definitely worth waiting for!

Ben_Egbert Forum Pro • Posts: 20,228

Mallomar wrote:

My new monitor arrived on Valentine's Day, and the display is
perfectly gorgeous. Really -- I don't see any problem pixels or
anything. If it's not perfect, it's as close as it gets.

And it looks so good right out of the box (well, after I turned down
the brightness), that I'm not rushing to buy the Spectraview kit, but
I probably will order it at some point.

This monitor was definitely worth waiting for!

Please let us know what brightness you end up with. This is the big mystery. I have this monitor and Spectravision, and I love it. But you can calibrate it to any level of brightness you choose. There does not seem to be any standard for brightness.

For the record, i have mine set to 180cd/mm^3, I have had it as low as 100 and as high as 200. 100 pretty much matched my old 21-inch Trinitron. I think 110 is a quasi standard, but a brighter view is nice.

-- hide signature --
 Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Isabel Cutler Forum Pro • Posts: 11,174
I've been having a problem with a pinkish hue in shadow areas...

with my 2690. The monitor was calibrated with my Gretag MacBeth Eye One Display II and the Match 3 software. I'm waiting for Spectraview which should arrive any day.

I tried Colorcomp, which someone suggested to get rid of that pinkish hue and it really didn't help so I shut it off. Do you see the color tinge in the shadow area on this image? http://www.pbase.com/isabel95/image/94962710

Isabel
--

'Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a significant crop' Ansel Adams
http://www.pbase.com/isabel95
http://www.pbase.com/digipets (not only for pet digital photography!)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads