D300 NEF and NX

Started Jan 20, 2008 | Discussions
uncleskull Senior Member • Posts: 2,330
D300 NEF and NX

Has anyone experienced EXTREMELY slow performance with this combination?

My puter is starting to show its age (2.4 P4 w/512 mem), but the speed (or lack there of) I experience last night was truly abysmal. CS3/ACR is far superior.

Then I tried some of my older D80 files. NX's speed was good with those. I liked the results with NX better than ACR and would like to start using it, but I'm afraid I'll grow very old (and I ain't young now) waiting for NX to process my D300 NEF files.

-- hide signature --

unc

~ The only things stopping us from reaching our goals are the limitations we place on ourselves ~

uncleskull's gear list:uncleskull's gear list
Olympus E-10
dbvand Senior Member • Posts: 1,915
Re: D300 NEF and NX

The problem with your computer is not the processor, it's the memory. NX needs lots & lots of memory.

Upgrade it to 3 or 4 GB and you should see a significant difference. Fortunately, memory is fairly cheap right now.

If you are able to do a search, you should be able to find lots of posts on this.

-- hide signature --

Bryan V.
P.S. I've had amnesia for as long as I can remember.

rondv Contributing Member • Posts: 585

I had the same problems downloading raw and working in NX which was slow and and seemed unstable. I thought NX was a dog. Then my computer got cooked by lighting. I got a new computer with lots of memory and now my raw files download at 60/minute and capture NX is as fast as CS3.
Bryan is correct it takes lots of memory!

OP uncleskull Senior Member • Posts: 2,330
Thanks Bryan

I thought that was the problem. That's why I specifically mentioned the amount of memory. Off to Circuit City I go (after the Packers beat the Giants).

Thanks again!

-- hide signature --

unc

~ The only things stopping us from reaching our goals are the limitations we place on ourselves ~

Olympus E-10
Thanks rondv

The piggy bank is a bit empty after buying the D300, but I think we can scrape up enough for a couple of memory cards for the puter.

-- hide signature --

unc

Olympus E-10
DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,564
Intel Core 2 Duo and RAM

Unc, you're going to need more than just memory. With a Pentium 4 2.4GHz and 512MB, it won't cut it.

I agree, adding more RAM to 3GB (Windows XP won't see past 3GB of RAM) may help a little, but you would also need an Intel Core 2 Duo chip and corresponding motherboard to see an overall increase in processing speed.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo chip, 3GB RAM, 512MB video graphics memory on a solid machine that I built and both CS3 and NX 1.3 work very quickly.
--
Dez

http://photos.dezmix.com

DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II
engbert Veteran Member • Posts: 3,056

I use an Intel Core Duo Quad E6600 with 3gb, eSATA drives - about as good as you can get without going to a very high priced gaming machine.

NCNX is still painfully slow. I find it barely useable.

When you first load an image, a label "updating image" remains at the top of the screen for several seconds. Everything you do is followed by several seconds of updating time.

I end up using ACR most of the time, but I don't think the results are quite as good, and most people on this group say the same.

Sometimes I open the image in NX and then immediately transfer it to Photoshop.

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

engbert's gear list:engbert's gear list
Sony a1 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Matt in FL Veteran Member • Posts: 5,305
you have to dig for them, but there have been some tech articles

about software not being optimized for the latest chips... yet...still......
think the mac tech sites have a lot on this.

I have a very old Sony 860 with 1.5 g of ram, think that is all this machine supports, and NX runs pretty well, surely could be faster. I do notice a diff btween 10 and 12 mg NEF files.

The IQ of NX is worth the aggravation and refuse to go to vista. Will be a mac desktop in my near future, just a matter of research to get a feel for the best affordable current chipset.
--
MATT in NE_FL'

Matt in FL's gear list:Matt in FL's gear list
DxO One
fuggy Contributing Member • Posts: 806
Frustrating....

I was working with NX on my older laptop that had 512mb of ram. Slow as a dog. Got a new puter with 2 gb of ram and it became a great program. This was with my D50. Then I get the D300 and now my brand new puter is a dog again. I have never seen a program that was such a freakin memory hog. I would go back to CS2 and ACR but guess what? It is not compatible with my new vista o/s! ARGH!

-- hide signature --

Gymnastics Dad with a Camera.

Nikon D300
Nikon D50
Nikon 85mm f1.8 AF
Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF
Nikon 18-55mm AF-S DX
Nikon 70-300mm Zoom
SB800 Speedlight
Manfrotto Tripod

And lest we forget my trusty Panny FZ50!

http://public.fotki.com/fugfuggy/

Nycone New Member • Posts: 13
Greetings from New York!

Just a Post Game suggestion....

Nycone New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Thanks Bryan

uncleskull wrote:

I thought that was the problem. That's why I specifically mentioned
the amount of memory. Off to Circuit City I go (after the Packers
beat the Giants).

Greetings from New York!!!

Just a Post Game suggestion....go get the memory upgrade anyway!!! No need to wait till next year (or maybe even later???)

I'll upgrade my memory in two weeks after the Giants win the Superbowl!!

(Sorry...saw your post right now and couldn't resist!!!! After having the Mets and the Yanks letting us down so bad in 2007, let us bask in our moment of glory!!) )

It Hurts

Good luck in the superbowl.

The Packers didn't deserve to win the way they played.
--
unc

Olympus E-10
Re: Intel Core 2 Duo and RAM

Those kind of upgrades are going to have to wait a while, Dez. The piggy bank is a bit skinny at the moment.

Since I won't be hosting any Superbowl parties in the near future, I'll check out the memory upgrade route for time being. Been to do that anyway. Won't hurt to give CS3 a little more headroom.

-- hide signature --

unc

Olympus E-10

Several seconds I could live with. The image update took so long I thought the program hung.

-- hide signature --

unc

Olympus E-10
Re: Frustrating....

CS2 won't run on Vista? Interesting. Has to be frustrating.

-- hide signature --

unc

Olympus E-10
faxao
faxao Regular Member • Posts: 115

There must be something Nikon can do in order to improve CNX performances !!!
--
'The more you can dream, the more you can do.' M.Korda

http://flickr.com/photos/faxao/

faxao's gear list:faxao's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Leica Q Ricoh GR III Leica CL Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH +6 more
DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,564
Re: Intel Core 2 Duo and RAM

uncleskull wrote:

Those kind of upgrades are going to have to wait a while, Dez. The
piggy bank is a bit skinny at the moment.

Since I won't be hosting any Superbowl parties in the near future,
I'll check out the memory upgrade route for time being. Been to do
that anyway. Won't hurt to give CS3 a little more headroom.

I hear ya. RAM is the cheapest upgrade right now.........BUT, it may not give you the speed that you want for these applications. Just a thought.
--
Dez

http://photos.dezmix.com

DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II
engbert Veteran Member • Posts: 3,056

faxao wrote:

There must be something Nikon can do in order to improve CNX
performances !!!

A very simple fix would be to allow cropping first. Bird photographers and sometimes others often crop a lot.

A much smaller file would allow a lot less processing time for each step.

This might require saving a cropped NEF file alongside the original.

And then if they could provide a Photoshop Plug in which would do the essential parts of the process which they don't want to disclose to other vendors, we could all get on with our work.

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

engbert's gear list:engbert's gear list
Sony a1 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
AwkwardSwine Contributing Member • Posts: 772

CS2 works just fine with Vista, as does CS that I sometimes use.

Remember that D300 Jpg, RAW, and especially uncompressed 14bit files are HUGE. You are going to need a lot more memory to procress these images in a comparable way to older cameras.

Capture NX is a bit slower than the old Capture, but it has a great batch processing feature that you should learn how to use. It's a lot less annoying if you can have the software do the long slow updates while you go off an do something else. And with a Quad core system, the computer is still very useable even with a huge processing job running in the background.

fuggy Contributing Member • Posts: 806

With the same computer working with D50 NEFs it did great. My first go around with the D300 NEFs, the camera was set to 14bit and images size L. I have since adjusted the settings to RAW + JPEG Basic and image size M. Hoping that will bring the file size down to something manageable.

-- hide signature --

Gymnastics Dad with a Camera.

Nikon D50
Nikon 85mm f1.8 AF
Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF
Nikon 18-55mm AF-S DX
Nikon 70-300mm Zoom
SB800 Speedlight
Manfrotto Tripod

And lest we forget my trusty Panny FZ50!

http://public.fotki.com/fugfuggy/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads