Guesstimate: 8-15mm Ultra Wide Zoom? Likely? Price?

Started Jan 18, 2008 | Discussions
vincentnyc Senior Member • Posts: 2,585
Guesstimate: 8-15mm Ultra Wide Zoom? Likely? Price?

Gentlemen/Ladies: I'm quite intrigued by the possibilities of the 7-14mm ultra wide zoom but taken aback by its $1,600 price!

With all the talk about a possible 8-15mm NEW ultra wide zoom coming out at PMA, may I ask the good folks here:

• How much is your guesstimate of the new 8-15mm's cost?

• When might it be available? March? June? Sept? Olympus' delivery dates are SO slow in some of their products, even as much as a year after they announce their intention of bringing out a certain item! It is almost the antithesis of Apple!

• Would you go for the 7-14mm or the new 8-15mm?

Thx in advance!

PS: this is my 2nd try! Last night, I posted moments before the RAID crashed so my post disappeared.

vincentnyc's gear list:vincentnyc's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
lloyd007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,354
Re: Guesstimate: 8-15mm Ultra Wide Zoom? Likely? Price?

I would guess the 8-16 if it is that and not a rebadged Sigma 10-20 that has been rumored here as well will be thus.

F4-5.6

Unsealed

$500 at most most likely $400 similar to the other standard prices

maybe 400 grams weight.

Will probably be pretty sharp corner to corner like most Zuikos are but will have quite bad CA, PF, and barrel distortion throughout it's range as it won't have all the special glass the 7-14 has... at most 2 elements...

Right now I'm kinda 50/50 wondering if it will be an entirely new lens or a Sigma licensed lens.

photo_owl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,455
same price point as the 70-300 (nt)
-- hide signature --

• enjoy your camera equipment -

photo_owl's gear list:photo_owl's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus E-M1 +8 more
Joesiv Veteran Member • Posts: 5,497

2 elements? wow, that'd be something....

I think it'd still be a niche lens (though if it could be that price it could sell very very well).

My guestimate would be a mid-pro grade lens, in the 800-1000 range.

vincentnyc wrote:

PS: this is my 2nd try! Last night, I posted moments before the
RAID crashed so my post disappeared.

So YOU were the cause...
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Olympus e-510
http://joesiv.smugmug.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Bootstrap Forum Pro • Posts: 20,999
A few *IFs*

If is more than vaporware, we may actually see it sometime in 2008.

If it has similar quality to the 14-42/70-300, it will probably be a good lens. FWIW, I do have an excellent 14-42 but do not have the 70-300 and my thoughts are based on impressions by real users of the 70-300.

If it does arrive, I'd expect it to be priced, perhaps, a touch more than the 70-300 yet less than the awesome 11-22. ~$500.00 USD.
If the above Ifs are true, I'm in!

-- hide signature --

Troll Whisperer
Bill Turner
Recent Images:
Please do not edit my images without asking permission.
Thanks.
http://www.pbase.com/wmdt131/rise_n_shine

Batteries rus Contributing Member • Posts: 935
Re: A few *IFs*

What the heck is "vaporware"
--
Bill

OP vincentnyc Senior Member • Posts: 2,585
With the current 7-14mm, the new one...

my thought was that if the current one is a "Pro Grade" 7-14mm, the "new one" 8-15mm would be probably "mid grade". Considering how prices escalate wildly when one wants "uber quality", the mid grade may well be 1/2 the price of the Pro Grade, i.e. $800 or less. (the 7-14mm is $1,600 now)

Maybe all this is wishful thinking. But, i'm not sure i'd want to shell out $1,600 for the 7-14mm just for the fun/thrill of an occasional exciting shot: of course, that's me in my situation and living in NYC. It is all very personal and subjective, I realize.

Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Inigo Montoya Forum Pro • Posts: 13,577
Re: Vaporware
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 25,106
Re: With the current 7-14mm, the new one...

vincentnyc wrote:

my thought was that if the current one is a "Pro Grade" 7-14mm, the
"new one" 8-15mm would be probably "mid grade". Considering how
prices escalate wildly when one wants "uber quality", the mid grade
may well be 1/2 the price of the Pro Grade, i.e. $800 or less. (the
7-14mm is $1,600 now)

Nope. The wide lens on the roadmap is listed as a standard lens, not 'pro' (note, in Oly-speak, 'pro' means the mid level lenses like the 14-54mm, etc.). Which means it will likely be under $500 and not weather sealed.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus TG-860 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +19 more
Jeff Tokayer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,278
"rebadged Sigma 10-20"

lloyd007 wrote:

I would guess the 8-16 if it is that and not a rebadged Sigma 10-20
that has been rumored here as well will be thus.

How can you rebadge a 10-20mm into an 8-16mm?. I cas see rebadging the 10-20 into a 10-16, but creating a wider FOV means redesigning the lens.

Jeff.

PS. I would love a 8-? rectilinear lens.

RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,270
7-14mm in VYC

The 7-14 (or any UWA) is not only for landscapes.
There were some great examples of use of the 7-14 in the streets of NYC.
Maybe you can find them when the forum is back fully restored

I crave for a 7-14 for various uses. The only thing keeping me back (for now) is the price and the possibility of a soon-to-come cheaper 8-16 (if it performs well).
Roel

Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 12,732
Olympus stated it would be standard grade!!!

Joesiv wrote:

My guestimate would be a mid-pro grade lens, in the 800-1000 range.

How can it be a Mid-Pro lens if Olympus already stated through the lens map that it would be a Standard Grade?

Anyway, this focal range is already covered in the Mid-Pro range with the 7-14mm...it's the Standard Grade where there's currently a hole and a demand for a less expensive lens in this focal range.

mosseero Regular Member • Posts: 254
Re: With the current 7-14mm, the new one...

7-14 is actually listed as a "super high grade" lens, whereas 8-?? should be a standard grade (as are kit lenses) lens. Therefore the price shouldn't exceed 400$. And I don't mind a little (lot) CA.

EyeMac Regular Member • Posts: 117

I should come out soon as it is on the lens roadmap...

http://www . auspiciousdragon.net/fourthirds/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/zuiko_lens_eng.jpg

delete the space.

It is billed as a standard lens so should be affordable to mere mortals with normal jobs.

EyeMac's gear list:EyeMac's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
Goffen
Goffen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,299
Facts corrected

Mike_PEAT wrote:

Anyway, this focal range is already covered in the Mid-Pro range with
the 7-14mm...

While it might be debatet wether the 7-14 belongs to the Mid-Pro, Olympus has it placed in their Top-Pro range.

Goffen

-- hide signature --
 Goffen's gear list:Goffen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax K-30 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +13 more
jscott Senior Member • Posts: 2,253

vincentnyc wrote:
-- snip --

• When might it be available? March? June? Sept? Olympus'

delivery dates are SO slow in some of their products, even as much as
a year after they announce their intention of bringing out a certain
item!

A year? The 14-35 was announced prior to PMA 2005, three years ago! The yet to be announced, much less delivered, fast telephoto macro was listed on the first lens roadmap dated October 2003.

Regards,
Scott

-- hide signature --

As we celebrate mediocrity all the boys upstairs want to see
How much you'll pay for what you used to get for free

• Tom Petty

rfr1 Regular Member • Posts: 307

Here is a roadmap released with the E3 system. It does show the wide zoom TBR in 2008. Here's hopeing. http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/products/lens/pdf/zuiko_lens_eng.pdf

rfr1's gear list:rfr1's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 +1 more
OP vincentnyc Senior Member • Posts: 2,585
Why does Oly have such incredibly L O N G delays? nt

why does Olympus have such an incredibly long delay with their products' lead times?

Garth Wood Contributing Member • Posts: 905
Re: Why does Oly have such incredibly L O N G delays? nt

I would assume that, with relatively low market penetration, the 4/3rds system needs its makers to concentrate on making small runs of the most popular focal lengths first. You have to grow the base considerably before you can start making more lenses in more price ranges and have a hope of making a profit doing so. Nikon and Canon didn't grow their lens lines overnight, after all. And the OM System took thirty years to build its entire stable of lenses.

Patience. It's a virtue. Or at least it used to be.

Garth

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads