Solution to D300 strange-shutdown problem
My D300 was experiencing continuous false low power failures, but using DeOxIt fixed that. I bought a spray can of DeOxIt, and sprayed the solution onto a fine paint brush so I could control exactly where it went. Thanks to the OP for the tips.
That is why I have a new D200 from Nikon since it continued to happen. I don't know why it would continue to happen on the D300. Getting a pencil eraser and erasing the contacts on the battery won't do the trick, nor will changing the lense. This is a serious internal issue from what I remember.
Getting same problem.. I use the EN-EL3e batteries and have the issue with both the MB-D10 attached and off the camera.
I get the low battery indicator and the camera shuts down with the battery warning blinking on the top LCD but nothing else is in view. Turning offf the camera and turning it on again seems to fix the issue.
Will try and clean the contacts after i get the DeOxit this week.. if not sending it back for replacement...
This is a fantastic tip - I've been insane with this problem. I'm using D300, 70-200 2.8, MB-10. The problem occurs with or without the MB-10, and only happens with the 70-200. Same lens on my D200 or D2Xs does not have same issue.
On the way to Radio Shack, hope they have the stuff.
My Radio Shack only had the DeoxIT and ProGold two-pack. Why avoid these? could I spray the DeoxIT on an applicator and use it? Is it the ProGold that should be avoided?
not ideal. Yes, you can use the spray on a swab and then apply. To be avoided, of course, is using the spray directly near the camera. There is nothing wrong with the Gold, it is just unnecessary and an added expense. But if that's they way you can get up and going, that's fine.
Be aware also that the spray is a 5% solution, whereas the liquids can be gotten in a 100% concentration. The 5% works okay, but clearly is not as potent and long-lived as the 100%. But it will get you going, and the spray is great for noisy volume controls.
Thanks again!! I just cleaned my contacts and all is GOOD! I do wonder why this happens only on my brand new camera and not on any others. I mean, if the contacts on the lens are dirty, why wouldn't it affect all other cameras?
Perhaps the D300 physical configuration of the camera contact pads and the lens "balls" is touchy and wants things just right. Or perhaps the digital signal path is very sensitive to a slightly raised impedance. Or perhaps the D300 manufacturing process leaves a slight coating on the camera pads that needs cleaning away.
In any event, I'm very glad things seem to be working properly for you now, and let's hope it keeps up.
Maybe this is the problem I have with the flash contacts? Someone tried that too?
I used to clean them with alcohol, maybe there is some oxid too.
Yes, you can use it on your flash. I have, and it works just fine. You can use it on any electrical contacts: batteries, lens, flash (and the batteries and battery contacts in the flash). And, of course, non-camera items by the millions. Oxidation of the metal contacts creates a coating, not always visible, that produces added electrical resistance. That's the source of the problem.
It's appreciated. I've used a different electrical contact cleaner before, but this stuff looks to be better for ease of application.
my gallery of so-so photos
than just a cleaner. Cleaners do not remove the oxidation (or do so very completely) and they do not prevent it from returning.
Meanwhile, you're most welcome.
I get this shutdown problem happening every now and then too, but with one of the batteries, not the other (I have two new batteries) and when I point the camera lens down facing the ground. I'll give your method a try and see if it works.
Well, got the Deoxit and cleaned the lens mount contacts, MB-D10 contacts, battery contacts and the lens contacts.
problem is I cannot go out shooting since it has been raining quite heavily the last 3 days and expecting more this weekend..
Didn't think it rained in sunny California....
Yeah come on gollywop - sort the weather out! (you lucky lot - UK at the moment is like living in a cloud!)
I currently have the same problem with D300 / MB-D10 / 70-200 VR so I will try the recommendations and hope it works.
gollywop - thank you very much for the information - not only for posting it, but also for following up on the thread and the questions in detail - great stuff mate.
Thank you for the nice comments, and it is my pleasure. Meanwhile, I surely hope the DeOxIT helps you. I suspect it will.
I just ordered a 7.4ml bottle with brush applicator, D100L-2DB, for $14.57 shipped via USPS.
I ordered the 2ml 100% solution small squeeze-tube (£6 here in the UK) and cleaned all my lens / cameras and flash contacts by dropping a small amount on a cotton bud and applying it carefully to the contacts / mounting ring.
Early days but it does seem to have done the trick.
I'm glad things seem to be working for you. Hope it keeps up -- and I suspect strongly it will.
Meanwhile, tell them in Cornwall to get their weather together for the Spring (and help do something about the weak dollar as well). And the next time you're in a pub, raise one to me. I really miss a good pint of bitters. Can't get the stuff here, and that's a real loss.
I heard this is the same chemical as DeoxIT for a fraction of the price:
11 oz can available at Home Depot for about $7