Debug mode AF area test explained!

Started Jan 8, 2008 | Discussions
chris gunn
chris gunn Veteran Member • Posts: 8,180
Debug mode AF area test explained!

I had a play with the AF adjustment area test thingy in Debug mode on my k10d,
trying to work out the difference of the areas 0..3.

I adjusted AF area 3. I noticed that AF had more trouble locking.
I noticed using SELect AF set to the far right, it would not focus at all!

My new cunning theory:

Area 3 uses horizonal sensor data only! Hence it will not focus when set to the vertical sensor (far right and left), and less reliably on others. The multiple illuminations shown are all left right (using SELect or AUTO AF).

Area 2 is Vertical sensor data only. The multiple illuminations shown are all up down.

Area 1 is both Vert and Hor. The multiple illuminations shown can be either up down or left right.

Area zero shows no multiple illuminations. The test is off.

Yay for me!

This is a result of my foolish postings in this thread;

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=26291989

JensR Forum Pro • Posts: 17,694
Re: Debug mode AF area test explained!

Hi Chris!

Excellent work!
My hat's off to you.
(Seriously!)

Yay for me!

Indeed!

Jens

-- hide signature --

'Well, 'Zooming with your feet' is usually a stupid thing as zoom rings are designed for hands.' (Me, 2006)
My Homepage: http://www.JensRoesner.de

chris gunn
OP chris gunn Veteran Member • Posts: 8,180

JensR wrote:

Hi Chris!

Mr Jens!

Excellent work!
My hat's off to you.

Thank you!

It must have been difficult, as it seems no one else worked it out.

I think the name "AF area test" was confusing, making people think it was about areas to be adjusted, as it is on a screen with adjustments.

(Seriously!)

Of course!

Yay for me!

Indeed!

Now, our next question is:

How is this of use to us? What problems are we looking for that we can test with this? Dirt on particular AF sensors?

I noted that the horizontal sensors are less effective on my camera. Is this normal?

nbela Senior Member • Posts: 1,074
Thanks! -- tag (nt)
 nbela's gear list:nbela's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +3 more
slackersg Junior Member • Posts: 38
tagged... :)

tagged...

tim_san Junior Member • Posts: 40
tag (n/t)
-- hide signature --

Tim.

There is no destination... only the journey.

leeak Regular Member • Posts: 140
Re: tag (n/t)

tag tag

leeak's gear list:leeak's gear list
Nikon D800E Pentax K-30 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
kww_2007 Forum Member • Posts: 77

thanksf or the post!
--

Pentax-K10D-AF360FGZ-DA21/3.2-DA70/2.4-FA50/1.4-DA18-55-Tamron70-300-A50/2-M50/1.7

Fujifilm F40FD

osv Veteran Member • Posts: 7,992

tagged
--
dan

kww_2007 Forum Member • Posts: 77
lens storage??

has anyone figured out how to store the lens adjustments for each?
--

Pentax-K10D-AF360FGZ-DA21/3.2-DA70/2.4-FA50/1.4-DA18-55-Tamron70-300-A50/2-M50/1.7

Fujifilm F40FD

basic state of ignorance Contributing Member • Posts: 624
Re: lens storage??

Did you make any check up for the amount of adjustment. I accidentally tried 0 1 2 and in my opinion 0 does not turn it off. Try to do focus test at 0 and 1 and the result at least in my case was very similar or the same. The second problem one may dial for example +20 in (1) +30 in (2) and something else in (3). It could be possible to do multiple adjustments in horizontal and vertical aspects of the sensors

Sinan Tarlan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,855
Almost correct

You're spot on about AF area 2 and 3. However AF Area 0 does not turn it off. It definetely affects the AF. I'm not sure what difference there is between Area 0 and 1 but I do know that they both seem to act similar in that they both affect both focusing planes/sensors? Maybe 0 is more weighed towards one AF plane while 1 is weighed more towards the other plane? (ie. vertical vs horizontal or vice versa) since 2 and 3 seem to only affect one plane each? Just a thought.

Cheers,
--
Sinan
http://sinantarlan.zenfolio.com/

Sinan Tarlan's gear list:Sinan Tarlan's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads