D3 Menu Setup Spreadsheet Tool

Started Jan 6, 2008 | Discussions
Cogset
Cogset Senior Member • Posts: 1,659
D3 Menu Setup Spreadsheet Tool

If anyone is interested, I went through a rather lengthy exercise for myself to try and organize the 65+ D3 menu options. The new MY MENU feature is great because you can choose to put into MY MENU any options you want or frequently use. So I've setup all the SHOOTING & CUSTOM menu banks, then populated MY MENU with the options to change those and other settings I frequently tweak (picture control, white balance mode, live view).

As a result, my basic pre-shoot routine is this:
go to MY MENU
set SHOOTING MENU bank
set CUSTOM menu bank
override any other settings (e.g. picture control or ISO or whatever)
shoot

... it's much quicker than going into the CUSTOM & SHOOTING menus separately and paging up and down to find the option buried in there (especially the CUSTOM menu).

The screenshots below come from the downloadable Excel spreadsheet I created to organize this. Feel free to download it (link at bottom) and tweak to your hearts content. It is by no means meant to be a good fit, as-is, for everyone or even most D3 users, but it is a structure I found helpful to organize the D3 options.

MY MENU
This is a screen shot of the MY MENU setup I'm trying right now

SHOOTING MENU BANKS
This is a screen shot of the SHOOTING MENU banks

CUSTOM MENU BANKS
This is a screen shot of the CUSTOM MENU banks

NOTE: If you use Excel or OpenOffice and want to download this and modify for your own use, go here:
http://idisk.mac.com/peteguyton-Public/D3setup

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 Cogset's gear list:Cogset's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Zorpie Senior Member • Posts: 2,836
Thank you !!

Hello Cogset,

Thanks for all the hard work in setting this up and for sharing it !! I have downloaded it and am just having a read through it whilst reading your message.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Zorpie
--

If it seems too good to be true - then it isn't. If you cannot believe your eyes - then don't.

macbob3 Regular Member • Posts: 471
Re: Thank you !! Great on Mac iWork 08

Many thanks. I'm hoping to get my D3 within a few days and this spreadsheet will be a great help. I might add that on my Mac I have completely given up on MS Office. My default spreadsheet is now Numbers (iWork 08). I downloaded and it opened perfectly -- all the colors, fonts, etc.

Ed Kreiser Regular Member • Posts: 240
Re: D3 Menu Setup Spreadsheet Tool

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. I notice that you have your color space set to Adobe RGB for all banks. Why is this your preference?

Yoshiki Nakamura Regular Member • Posts: 131
Thank you so much from Seattle.

Cogset,

Thank you very much for sharing very useful spreadsheet. I will get tremendous benefit from it.

You may want to change the version date to 2008 unless you intended to use 2007.

Thank you again.

Yoshiki in Seattle

Yoshiki Nakamura's gear list:Yoshiki Nakamura's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1
Michael D Kern Forum Member • Posts: 61

Thanks for sharing this, it is always interesting to see how other people have implemented the custom banks... and which options they tend to adjust going into a shooting situation....

I started down the path of setting up Custom and Shooting menu banks but ended up just putting the major adjustments I make in the My Menu setting.

The key areas of MENU adjustment in my current shooting style include:

ISO sensitivity settings (I didnt see this in your settings at all - I use this a lot)
High ISO Noise Reduction
Active D-Lighting
Dynamic AF Area
NEF RAW Recording
Set Picture Control
Display Mode

I do like your definitions and always thought once I figured out a meaningful way to implement the two bank system, I would.... I look forward to others input in this as well......

MDK

Cogset
OP Cogset Senior Member • Posts: 1,659

Honestly, 18 months ago when I got my D200, I pretty much started using Adobe RGB and I can't give you a good reason why. At the time I'd been reading some threads on the topic and Adobe RBG seemed like it had a wider gamut than sRgb so I just decided to use it. When I set up the D3, I used my D200 habits as a starting point.

I'm sure there are good reasons pro & con for it's use/non-use but I'm not going to be a the right person to give those reasons

Note the spread is just a starting point. Heck, i'll probably change things again shortly, but it was one way to get started. The MY MENU option is great as it kind of pulls all this stuff together in one place.

Regards,
PG

Ed Kreiser wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. I notice that
you have your color space set to Adobe RGB for all banks. Why is this
your preference?

-- hide signature --
Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Cogset

Michael D Kern wrote:

I started down the path of setting up Custom and Shooting menu banks
but ended up just putting the major adjustments I make in the My Menu
setting.

ISO sensitivity settings (I didnt see this in your settings at all -
I use this a lot)
High ISO Noise Reduction
Active D-Lighting
Dynamic AF Area
NEF RAW Recording
Set Picture Control
Display Mode

I do like your definitions and always thought once I figured out a
meaningful way to implement the two bank system, I would.... I look
forward to others input in this as well......

MDK

Thanks again. You make a good point. By the time you end up futzing with the 4-bank options (what to call them, purpose, settings, etc.), you end up with probably less than a dozen settings that actually differ between the 4 banks.... and it may be simpler just to put those dozen settings in the MY MENUS and be done with it.

Anyway, the main reason I wanted to share was because it makes it easy to see almost all the darn settings on one screen.

Also, as one poster noted, I forgot to update the year in the filename, so I've made that change.

Regards,

Peter G.

-- hide signature --
Cogset

macbob3 wrote:

Many thanks. I'm hoping to get my D3 within a few days and this
spreadsheet will be a great help. I might add that on my Mac I have
completely given up on MS Office. My default spreadsheet is now
Numbers (iWork 08). I downloaded and it opened perfectly -- all the
colors, fonts, etc.

I haven't tried Numnbers yet. I've been using Excel for years (mostly on Windows) but I certainly would like to have a nice option/alternative.

I trust you like Numbers a lot, yes?

Microsoft is about to release Office 2008 for Mac which Businessweek just reviewed and looks great, in fact it's supposed to be better than Office 2007 for Windows (I don't normally applaud Microsoft much, but you have to like the fact that their "best" version of Office isn't even on Windows!)

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_02/b4066000498753.htm?chan=technology_tech+maven+page+-+new_this+week%27s+column

Regards,
PG

-- hide signature --
MBoatner Senior Member • Posts: 1,449

Thanks - just got in - you have slapped me in the face with the tripod menu. Thanks again
--
Mike

stealthman_1 Regular Member • Posts: 390

Microsoft is about to release Office 2008 for Mac which Businessweek
just reviewed and looks great, in fact it's supposed to be better
than Office 2007 for Windows (I don't normally applaud Microsoft
much, but you have to like the fact that their "best" version of
Office isn't even on Windows!)

Except that I read they dropped Macros. That's crazy. The best version of Office has been on the Mac for a good while.

Numbers is a 1.0 product right now and while it works and has promise, it's still 1.0 software. Ok, it's 1.0.1 software...who's counting?

Thanks for the spreadsheet, I'm sure I'll put it to good use.

b52 s Contributing Member • Posts: 772

Peter,

Thanks for sharing your work. The layout is compact enough to fit on a single sheet which makes it easy to carry around and read in the field. One minor correction -- a8 is either 11 or 51 points.
Bo

Cogset wrote:

Michael D Kern wrote:

I started down the path of setting up Custom and Shooting menu banks
but ended up just putting the major adjustments I make in the My Menu
setting.

ISO sensitivity settings (I didnt see this in your settings at all -
I use this a lot)
High ISO Noise Reduction
Active D-Lighting
Dynamic AF Area
NEF RAW Recording
Set Picture Control
Display Mode

I do like your definitions and always thought once I figured out a
meaningful way to implement the two bank system, I would.... I look
forward to others input in this as well......

MDK

Thanks again. You make a good point. By the time you end up futzing
with the 4-bank options (what to call them, purpose, settings, etc.),
you end up with probably less than a dozen settings that actually
differ between the 4 banks.... and it may be simpler just to put
those dozen settings in the MY MENUS and be done with it.

Anyway, the main reason I wanted to share was because it makes it
easy to see almost all the darn settings on one screen.

Also, as one poster noted, I forgot to update the year in the
filename, so I've made that change.

Regards,

Peter G.

-- hide signature --
 b52 s's gear list:b52 s's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Phil Tower Regular Member • Posts: 223
Thanks. Great help (nt)

No text
--
Phil Tower

LongTimeNikonUser Senior Member • Posts: 1,096
page doesn't load with FireFox on Windows

Just a note for Windows users. I couldn't get the page to load with FireFox 2.0, which is my preferred browser. All I got was a blank page with a "done" message at the bottom.

Using IE 7, I was able to bring up the web page and download the spreadsheet.

It seems odd that a web site devoted to the Mac should have IE-specific coding on a web page, doesn't it.

-- hide signature --

LongTimeNikonUser

LongTimeNikonUser's gear list:LongTimeNikonUser's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
b52 s Contributing Member • Posts: 772
Re: page doesn't load with FireFox on Windows

If you bring up the link you will see an arrow button on the far right of the table. Click on it and Firefox will ask you if you want to open the file in Excel or save it to disk. It works for me in XP2.
Bo

LongTimeNikonUser wrote:

Just a note for Windows users. I couldn't get the page to load with
FireFox 2.0, which is my preferred browser. All I got was a blank
page with a "done" message at the bottom.

Using IE 7, I was able to bring up the web page and download the
spreadsheet.

It seems odd that a web site devoted to the Mac should have
IE-specific coding on a web page, doesn't it.

-- hide signature --

LongTimeNikonUser

b52 s's gear list:b52 s's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Daves602
Daves602 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,640
Thank you!

This is a huge help for me to get into settings to personalise what I am after regarding image quality etc.

One ignorant question, in your Shooting menu banks, you have a heading turnkey. What does it stand for and what would be the best use for that setting?
--
Warm regards, Dave.

Daves602's gear list:Daves602's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +25 more
Cogset
Re: Thank you!

Hi,

I called it "turnkey" as really another word for "point-and-shoot". In the computer world, a "turnkey" system is often referred to as one which you just install it and go with very little configuration or programming required. (E.g. like a car, just "turn the key and go").

So this option had auto-ISO turned on as a kind of read-for-anything setting. I'd seen another post on a menu config where the author set it to auto-ISO and was happy because he had to grab and shoot photos in a matter of seconds. (If I remember correctly, someone was trying to break into his house so he grabbed his camera and started shooting pics like crazy as the guy ran away).

Anyway, feel free to change the titles and headings, I really just posted it to share a starting point. I know I'll make changes myself at some point. The way I look at it, I'll use "Normal" most of the time and do most of my changes in the "MY MENU" area instead of switching between banks. But since all are there I figured why not set them up?

Regards,
Peter G.

Daves602 wrote:

This is a huge help for me to get into settings to personalise what I
am after regarding image quality etc.
One ignorant question, in your Shooting menu banks, you have a
heading turnkey. What does it stand for and what would be the best
use for that setting?
--
Warm regards, Dave.

-- hide signature --
Cogset

Good catch on "a8"... I think I typo'd it then copy-pasted the problem to the next cell.

I'll fix and re-upload at some point.

-- hide signature --
Kevin M Wong New Member • Posts: 12

In the shooting Menu, is there a particular custom setting you use or just default?

Georgi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,638
Alright, just to confirm

'cause I AM a little dense.

This is NOT a way to save and upload these preferences to the camera, right?

Just as a visual tool to help us remember our settings?

I'm asking 'cause I thought I read that you CAN save and load your settings..?

Thanks

George

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads