Changing White Balance in JPGs

Started Dec 31, 2007 | Discussions
jgphoto Regular Member • Posts: 460
Changing White Balance in JPGs

I shot a few JPGS the other day and opened them in Lightroom. I immediately noticed that you can change temperature just like in RAW.

I will continue to shoot RAW, but just thought this is an interesting addition. I know that previously using ACR 3 and below, I could not change white balance in JPGS.

digital-freak
digital-freak Senior Member • Posts: 2,786
Re: Changing White Balance in JPGs

You can use NIK Color Efex Pro 3.0 they have a demo to try and see how you like it.

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php

You can also try tweaking the hue settings.
--
Mark
http://www.markmicallef.com

digital-freak's gear list:digital-freak's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +9 more
Mario Giannini Senior Member • Posts: 2,750

I think that changing the White Balance isn't a big deal to the jpgs, but the catch is the color detail that the camera may have discarded when saving to jpg.

You may notice slight changes to be no problem, but then there will be other images that are simply unrecoverable if shot as JPG, but would have worked if shot as raw.

I shot jpg for some time until I had a picture of my daughter and myself where the WB was off. I never got that picture to a point where it looked natural, and it was something of a special picture. Having shot raw since then, I've never had that particular problem.

-- hide signature --

Everything I write is a personal opinion. Even when I quote facts, they are the facts I personally choose to accept.
http://www.pbase.com/mariog

Mario Giannini's gear list:Mario Giannini's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +9 more
OP jgphoto Regular Member • Posts: 460

I switched to RAW for the very same reason 3 years ago. The only reason I shot JPG the other day was to see how many frames I could get with my D300 grip. Than I ran them through LR and noticed I could change WB. I just posted this message to let others know. I was always under the impression that software couldn't change the WB on JPGS, but now you can using LR.

I've also got to 4 year old pictures from my old 5700 that I will fix!

Kevin F Pyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,581

Its also easily done with photofilters adjusment layer in Photoshop, Warm or Cooling filters. Works quite well.
Happy New Years.
Kevin
--
Kevin P.
http://www.pbase.com/kpyle

olstrup Senior Member • Posts: 2,816

Bibble can change WB in JPEGs too by means of a slider (and maybe many other RAW conerters also can?). In Photoshop I use a free plugin called "Magic Enhancer Lite" that works the same way.

Matt in FL Veteran Member • Posts: 5,305
lightzone will also change temp and hue of jpegs (nt)
-- hide signature --

MATT in NE_FL'

Matt in FL's gear list:Matt in FL's gear list
DxO One
Andy_F Contributing Member • Posts: 604
Re: lightzone will also change temp and hue of jpegs (nt)

You can also, try custom manual white balance. Have been using it since my D200 purchase 6-months ago, which made it convenient to use. I shoot raw and rarely have to touch the WB in post now.
--
Andy_F
[Equipment in use -- see profile]

Tonik Contributing Member • Posts: 558

jgphoto wrote:

I know that previously using ACR 3 and below, I could not
change white balance in JPGS.

ACR 4.x will do this with jpg's. All of the sliders and adjustments work on the jpg's. The only downside is the loss of info each time you save it due to the compression.

Julia Borg Veteran Member • Posts: 7,280

even if the shot is well within the limits of what jpg can handle you can't really change white balance in jpegs the same way you can do that in raw. try a shot in raw+jpg, change the white balance in nef and same change in jpg. you will see what I mean.

the reason why the difference is quite simple. changes to white balance should be applied to linear data. LR has no idea of the tonal curve applied in the camera (they do not reverse-engineer Nikon curves at all, and even less so if the curve is one of the custom curves) and thus can't re-linearize the image correctly. and that is omitting noise factors and other issues that happen while converting image data back to linear and then re-applying tonal curve.

applying "color compensating filter" in Photoshop can help getting more pleasing and controllable results then "changing white balance". and you can convert the image to linear gamma yourself if you want.

-- hide signature --

Julia

DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 34,346
Color balance

You can also manually adjust using Color Balance in PhotoShop.

Go to IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > COLOR BALANCE and adjust the sliders to your liking.
--
Dez

http://photos.dezmix.com

KEITH-C Forum Pro • Posts: 14,131
For those without deep pockets....

... or expensive programs try this free program written years ago by a Nikon user callled Vtie.

Click the WB pointer on a suitable grey/white area within the image & fine tune by moving the small circle in the colour field.

THis is pasted from a previous message:-

PHOTOCONTROL which has a large preview screen for easy checking of any adjustments - here is the website - scroll down the page for the fast download.

PS -untick the box for profiles before you load a file.

http://www.topart.com.au/test/photocontrol.htm

Keith-C

Hamish McC Senior Member • Posts: 1,141
You can do it in NX too

Adjust -> color -> saturation/warmth

-- hide signature --

Hamish

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://theflyingpie.zenfolio.com

rparge Forum Member • Posts: 52

There is a segment on the video that came with CS3, done by Katrin Eismann, titled "Non Destructive editing with Camera Raw."

IOW you can undo any change you make in ACR to JPGs as well

Try it. Make some change to the JPG file, WB, Fill Light, etc.
As a test, make them insane, really mess it up. Click DONE, not SAVE.

Then note that there is a little circle on the thumb. (This is in bridge, probably the same in LR) This denotes that changes have been made with ACR.

Now view this same JPG in another non Adobe viewer - Windows viewer, Picasa, whatever. Note that the image is untouched.

Now back to ACR, right click - Develop Settings - clear settings.

All your changes are un-done.

OverLordMephisto Regular Member • Posts: 101

Try that (work for me very well).

Go to Adobe Photoshop in Edit - Preference - File handling and click on the File Compatibility at the Prefer Adobe Camera Raw for JPEG Files. Give a OK and close the Photoshop. Now, every .jpg files open in Photoshop it will open throwgh the Adobe Camera Raw converter. There you can adjust the White Balance with Kelvin scale ori with the Tint option... Give a feedback if you can't manage this and i will give-yiu some print-screens to do that....

OverLordMephisto Regular Member • Posts: 101

Very Important:

First go to Image - Adjustment - Match Color - and Neutralize. This is very important for avoid the color cast in change the white balance setings. And if you use a flash, it is very important to use the gel filter on flash for incandescent and fluorescent light.

Pai_07 Regular Member • Posts: 152

easiest way i guess is..

File--> Open As---> Camera Raw.

OP jgphoto Regular Member • Posts: 460

Thanks! I very rarely shoot JPG, but if I do, I'm sure I'll find this info handy. Thanks everyone!

Murray Bowles
Murray Bowles Senior Member • Posts: 2,069

changes to white balance should be applied to linear data.

Why? For a given luminance, you're multiplying R G and B by the same set of numbers. It's certainly true that if the tone curve plus the compression have lost a lot of information in some channel, the attempt to modify it will be unsatisfactory. But the problem comes more from the loss of data than from the fact that the tone curve has been applied.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads