Put your oldies curves inside your Picture Controls

Started Dec 30, 2007 | Discussions
OP zenfr9 Contributing Member • Posts: 846
Another way : easier way to import some more picture controls with curves inside...

http://download.yousendit.com/E460292179EA8021
http://download.yousendit.com/4C3AFE1E36D25017
http://download.yousendit.com/8DCC4ADF46489739

• Download those three NCP files (each one is a new picture control with a Fuji's curve inside).

• Copy those NCP to your CF card, under NIKON directory ( ).

• Insert your CF card back to your camera

• Put your camera on

• Go to the menu

• Select "Manage Picture Control"

• Select "Load/Save"

• .... I let you find your way by yourself . It's so easy !!!!

Hope that could help !!!!

( ) If you don't have this directory, you must create one with this name "NIKON", under the root of your CF card.

sharee Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: Another way : easier way to import some more picture controls with curves inside.

zenfr9 wrote:

• Download those three NCP files (each one is a new picture control

with a Fuji's curve inside).

• Copy those NCP to your CF card, under NIKON directory ( ).

• Insert your CF card back to your camera

• Put your camera on

• Go to the menu

• Select "Manage Picture Control"

• Select "Load/Save"

• .... I let you find your way by yourself . It's so easy !!!!

Hope that could help !!!!

( ) If you don't have this directory, you must create one with this
name "NIKON", under the root of your CF card.

I followed these directions exactly, but when I go to load them, I get a message that there are no picture controls on the memory card. Any ideas?

Thanks
Sharee

Re: Another way : easier way to import some more picture controls with curves inside.

Can you insert your CF on your PC and check if is there a directory named NIKON with some files. Tell me the name of those files in that directory.
(Do this with File Explorer)
Thanks

PS : have you imported on your camera three D2xMode already ?

acolo63 Regular Member • Posts: 165

Has anyone been able to get this to work? I see the files on the CF card, but when I go to load them on the D300, I get the message that no Picture Controls are on the card?

Thanks

txrpls New Member • Posts: 13

Same results here.

Aaron Williams Forum Member • Posts: 87
Directory correction

Instead of placing the files in \NIKON put them in \NIKON\CUSTOMPC

That worked for me, though I don't know what the 3rd picture control is. The first is Astia_Fuji, the second is Reala_Fuji, the third says User Custom 03.

Re: Directory correction

that is where I put them and I still cannot load them. I can however delete them from the card. No clue why I can't load them.

mlmusto Senior Member • Posts: 2,109

what's the 3rd curve? thanks in advance!

mark

mlmusto's gear list:mlmusto's gear list
Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon Z6 +1 more
AviBen2
AviBen2 Contributing Member • Posts: 894

Also waiting to find out what #3 is . . . . Thanks for posting these. I tried out the custom curve I used to love in my D70 and D200 (Fotogenetic's Point & Shoot v4.1, for boosting mid-tones without blowing highlights), and in the D300, even when based on the Neutral curve, the mid-tones are too bright. Nikon has apparently, in the D300, responded to the common clamor that the D100, D70 and D200 tended to "underexpose" mid-tones. What's especially neat is how much flexibility this camera provides (and so much to learn!).
--
AviBen

sharee Forum Member • Posts: 74

zenfr9 wrote:

Can you insert your CF on your PC and check if is there a directory
named NIKON with some files. Tell me the name of those files in that
directory.
(Do this with File Explorer)
Thanks

PS : have you imported on your camera three D2xMode already ?

I have the NIKON directory. I have a folder named CUSTOMPC and 2 files D300_M1.NOP and D300_M2.NOP. I assume these are the D2xModes, yes I downloaded them, deleted mode II. At first I tried putting the files in the NIKON directory and then in the CUSTOMPC folder. It would not work either way. I see that others are having the same problem, and it is working for others. I wonder what is happening to cause this. You would think that it would work for everyone, especially if it is done that same way. I wonder if there is some setting that is different between the people who it is working for and the ones who it is not. I hope someone can figure this out.

Happy New Year to all. I hope 2008 is great for everyone.

Sharee

Fuji-curves

Those three curves are :

• Fuji-Astia

• Fuji-Reala

• Fuji-Velvia (I love this one).

PS :

• They were from D200 so a little too bright for D300. YOu must set Brightness to -1 as you used to do with D2xModes.

• I will delete them all and import them again into my camera by this new way. (NIKON in upper case, I shoot in RAW, D-Lighting off).

Happy new year to all. May your days be merry and bright.

ZenFr

Re: Fuji-curves

OK. This is the patch :

1 - Directories must be in Upper case and under the root
NIKON/CUSTOMPC
2 - Files names must be also in upper case and have these names
PICCON0x.NCP x=1,2,3

PS : You can rename these customised picture when you copy them to your camera. (My User_Custom_03 is Velvia_Fuji)

Hope that could help.

If you still have some trouble. Just copy one customised picture control already inside your camera to your CF card. It will have the name PICCON01.NCP, then rename your three fuji picture controls to PICCON0x.NCP, with x=2,3,4 and copy them to the same directory.

There is some other issue going on here. I can copy files to the card from the camera and reload them from the card. The D2X files from view NX will not load from the camera card. I am going to try another card and see if that is the issue. Something fishy is going on since some people have no problem and others cannot load files. How about size and brands of CF cards?

RJSPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,686

go to the nikon web site and find the D2X modes and copy exactly their instructions to the letter and you should have no problems.

Cheers

Ron

RJSPhotography's gear list:RJSPhotography's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR

7 Nikon picture controls, d2xModes included, are already inside Capture NX 1.3.

If you import some customised picture control via your CF card, without using View NX, they are only available inside your camera and on the photo shooted with one of them.

Your customised picture controls must be saved with View NX so that they will be available inside CaptureNX1.3 too.

RJSPhotography wrote:

go to the nikon web site and find the D2X modes and copy exactly
their instructions to the letter and you should have no problems.

Cheers

Ron

That worked. Thanks for the tip.

AviBen2
Re: Fuji-curves - brightness?

Zen, you said you set your brightness to -1 for each of these 3 curves. How do you do that with a picture control with custom curves? In the picture control utility, the brightness and contrast controls are both grayed out when you are using a custom curve. Please explain -- thanks.
--
AviBen

1 - You can't change directly those three customised picture control. You can only post-process inside Capture NX.

2 - Or you can change its brighness by using ViewNX. Just slide the middle cursor to your right after loading your curve and before exporting your customised picture control.

PS : Fuji_Astia is less bright than the two others curves. You don't have to change its brigtness by pp.

AviBen2

thanks!
--
AviBen

Welcome

It's my pleasure.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads