Has 1ds III viewfinder-sensor alignment problem ???

Started Dec 30, 2007 | Discussions
bachie New Member • Posts: 21
Has 1ds III viewfinder-sensor alignment problem ???

My 1ds III has an alignment problem. (serial is 60XXXX)

Result images from my 1ds III are tilted about 1 deg clockwise.

1 degree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that this discrepancy may be due to ccw skewness of viewfinder (or penta prism).

If you use the Liveview mode with grids, you will check it easily.

Surely, a tripod will be necessary, and telephoto lenses (more than 50mm) are
recommended because of distortion.

My 1ds III still shows skewness between a sight through viewfinder and an image on LCD(liveview).

If I must fix every skewed image, 100% viewfinder coverage of 1ds III will lost it's value to me.

• Bachie

bachie's gear list:bachie's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Dave Miner Regular Member • Posts: 422
Everthing perfect on mine.

Welcome to dpreview.
Dave

Dave Miner's gear list:Dave Miner's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill
KBJ Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: Has 1ds III viewfinder-sensor alignment problem ???

After reading your post, I checked mine. Serial #601xxx.

I found same problem as yours, 1 degree counter clockwise. Very disapointed now.

R. Jarquin New Member • Posts: 23

you mean that what you see through the viewfinder is perfectly leveld but when you see it through the live view screen (same as the sensor will capture) it is tilted 1 degree ccw ?

Sean Byrne Regular Member • Posts: 312
-- hide signature --

No problem with mine, everything working perfect.
Sean Byrne.

KBJ Junior Member • Posts: 29

Yes, viewfinder is perfectly leveld but when I see it through the live view screen it is tilted 1 degree ccw. I also took a photo and confirmed the tilt.

Benedict Slotte Senior Member • Posts: 1,165
I have that problem with my 1Ds mk2

Tilt: 0.75 degrees.

I solved it by filing off some material from the edges of my focusing screen (I had the one with a grid). Now at least that grid is correctly aligned.

Very annoying anyway. A camera of this caliber and price should NOT have such an alignment problem.

-- hide signature --

B. Slotte
Turku, Finland
http://bslotte.smugmug.com
See profile for equipment

MirkoK Contributing Member • Posts: 741

why now, that problem seemed not to be a problem before you knew of it!

think about it

KBJ wrote:

After reading your post, I checked mine. Serial #601xxx.

I found same problem as yours, 1 degree counter clockwise. Very
disapointed now.

-- hide signature --
Ken Boyer Regular Member • Posts: 132
Re: Some of you must have very highly trained eyes...

There is no way I could see one degree of difference through a small format view finder. On a tripod, even using the horizon as a reference I have always felt lucky if I didn't have to rotate the image at least a degree or more...

I believe you, it's just that previously I couldn't get that close with anything less than 645 or better yet a 4 X 5 view camera. Perhaps now with live view I suppose I could...

-- hide signature --

Ken Boyer

Michael Thompson Contributing Member • Posts: 634
How will you sleep tonight! oh the horror of it all .......?

Banchie,

hello and yes welcome to DPR your 1st ever post then ..

if you cant get along with the 1 degree tilt in the 1DSmk3 then send me the camera it wont bother me at all a tiny 1 degree tilt in live view,

Michael

bachie wrote:

My 1ds III has an alignment problem. (serial is 60XXXX)

Result images from my 1ds III are tilted about 1 deg clockwise.

1 degree
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that this discrepancy may be due to ccw skewness of
viewfinder (or penta prism).

If you use the Liveview mode with grids, you will check it easily.

Surely, a tripod will be necessary, and telephoto lenses (more than
50mm) are
recommended because of distortion.

My 1ds III still shows skewness between a sight through viewfinder
and an image on LCD(liveview).

If I must fix every skewed image, 100% viewfinder coverage of 1ds III
will lost it's value to me.

• Bachie

-- hide signature --

Eos 1v Film SLR now covered in dust, sad but true.....

Z (is real) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,269

1 degree is about 3/4mm difference between the two sides of the viewfinder. Or about 1/30th the smaller dimension.

If the focusing screen is not square to the optical path, other problems can arise. E.g. slight focusing errors in manual focus, and worse, unexpected perspective distortions for carefully aligned architecture shots. While all of this is going to be slight, I have no doubt it is visible.

Might be worth checking the seating on the focusing screen and making sure there aren't any small bits of dust, etc. Beyond that, it would be interesting to know what Canon's tolerance on this is.

The upside is that with Live View, at least there is a reliable way to frame without any error relative to the sensor.

-Z-

rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,345

I had the same problem with my first 10D and also with my current XTi. They are of course not in the same league as the 1DsIII but it is still annoying. My experience tells me this is probably more prevalent than realized in DSLR's. I had this problem years ago with Canon film cameras. You have the mirror, screen, prism and sensor that could potentially all contribute to this alignment issue.

I sent the 10D back for exchange and the second one was perfect. My new 40D is also perfect. I did not recognize the problem on the XTi until after the exchange period had expired. My XTi is off by about 1½° and I noticed this after having to correct virtually all my shots with an intended level horizon.

I did speak with the Canon service center in NJ about the XTi and they said it was a relatively easy fix although I've not sent it in yet. You could either send it in or try to exchange it. If it was me I would exchange the camera if I had that option as I'm never keen on sending brand new equipment in for repair unless that is the only option.

What's ironic is I recently bought a G9 (great little camera) and had to send the first one back because of a spot on the sensor. I checked both the original and replacement cameras and the optical VF's are perfectly level in relation to the sensors even though there is quite a bit of parallax error. Apparently the range finder design is much easier to get straight.

Good luck,

Bob
--
http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron
My PBASE page is new and growing so please be patient.

rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Old Timer63
Old Timer63 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,998

ser no 607* Yes , I see it. line up the bottom of the viewfinder with my shelf across the fire breast to be equal, turn of live view and notice that the left hand side( as you look at it through the finder) shows just slightly more of the shelf edge. I will test my 40D in the morning to see if that's the same.

I would get a better idea in daylight focussing on something in the far distance and that's another point, what looks like just a tad out indoors at fairly close range would obviously be magnified when you are talking distant horizons across oceans (mind you, lens curvature and earth curvature might well hide it) never the less a good point to bring up. Not enough to have me running back for an exchange because I can't remember the last time I didn't have to straighten an horizon in post process but worth noting if the camera had to go back for a clean or I was passing the service centre. Without live view it would be fairly hard to prove to yourself. Thinking about it, my shots usually need to be rotated CCW which is the way of this error so maybe my shots will come out more in line in the future:-)
--
I feel so much better now that I've given up Hope

http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers

Old Timer63's gear list:Old Timer63's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Fujifilm X-T10 +19 more
OP bachie New Member • Posts: 21

At first, I heard this rumor on 1ds 3's alignment problem yesterday

from my friend who also have 1ds3. After checking, I confirmed mine has same problem.

One of the SLR's merit is you can get what you see.
(it is absolutely right for cameras of 100% coverage of viewfinder)

About 1 degree error is apparent to the naked eye. Without LIVE VIEW mode, it may be very hard to checking it. At least a leveling tripod and grid screen will be needed. But recently developed LIVE VIEW mode enables to check this problem easily.

I think it is probably due to an alignment error (mirror - prism - screen vs cmos),
an error in setting of screen, or viewfinder's rectangularity error.

Anyway, I'm very disappointed my 1ds3.

-- hide signature --

bachie

bachie's gear list:bachie's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Old Timer63
Old Timer63 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,998

I'd like to check all DSLR's, I bet they all are out to a certain degree anyway. It really isn't a problem and almost as close as we get in the real world when shooting anyway and if you are worried then Canon will adjust it FOC. To be honest this camera is so superb there had to a fly in the oitment and if this is it then how bad.
--
I feel so much better now that I've given up Hope

http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers

Old Timer63's gear list:Old Timer63's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Fujifilm X-T10 +19 more
RDKirk Forum Pro • Posts: 16,082
Are you sure it's not the LCD that's askew? (nt)
-- hide signature --

RDKirk
'TANSTAAFL: The only unbreakable rule in photography.'

RDKirk's gear list:RDKirk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +7 more
Richard Brown Contributing Member • Posts: 749

I actually have this exact problem in a 5d,
My 1ds Mklll arrives this week and I hope it does not have this issue.

canon_uw New Member • Posts: 8
I have the same issue...~1˚-1.5˚ rotation (+txt)

At first I thought my balance had gone completely screwy, but after lining up horizons against the horizontal lines of the focus screen ellipse, there's a definite tilt in the resulting image - and I noticed it before finding this page.

The image that is recorded by the camera is rotated by about 1˚-1.5˚ clockwise from the image seen in the viewfinder (that is, all images require a rotation in the CCW direction to straighten), and is absolutely noticeable in horizon shots, etc.

Someone mentioned a call to the service center in NJ about a previous model - has anyone contacted Canon yet to see what type of fix this will be? The 1D series are supposed to provide 100% viewfinder coverage...thanks in advance.

Glyn Davies New Member • Posts: 8
Re: I have the same issue...and it's VERY noticeable

I have just posted a first message not having realised this thread existed! Anyway, suffice to say that on my camera it is VERY noticeable, and if we are talking about rotation from the horizontal it is definitely around 5º!!! The sea in my seascapes is definitely pouring out!
--
Glyn Davies Photo-Artist Ltd

Dave Peters Senior Member • Posts: 1,520

I confirm same with mine. Just under 1 degree rotated clockwise. You dont need a tripod to test this, its obvious hand held and aligning to a straight edge. It amounts to about 90 pixels difference between left and right edges on the full size jpg.

-- hide signature --

Dave Peters

Dave Peters's gear list:Dave Peters's gear list
Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads