Custom Curves for the D300

Started Dec 28, 2007 | Discussions
monte12345 Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
how do you load a custom curve into the D300.

With the D70, the procedure was fairly straight forward and well documented in the manual for Capture 4. However, I have yet to figure out how to do it in the D300. Partly because I have found the D2x mode 1 gives me excellent results overall but I would like to know for future reference. Partly because the manual for NX is just hopeless.

olstrup Veteran Member • Posts: 3,715
Re: how do you load a custom curve into the D300.

On the PC/Mac copy it to a CF card. Then insert the CF card in the camera and copy it to the camera via the camera menu (see the manual).

Milan Novak New Member • Posts: 2
Re: D300 Overexposure / Underexposure comments

I agree completely! When I first started shooting with this camera a couple of weeks ago, I just assumed it was a complex piece of equipment that I had to figure out and dial in before I got good results. The bottom line is that this thing is flakey!

Definite overexposure. It appears that with my fast AF lenses, I get more overexposed than with the slower lenses. My manual lenses do a bit better than the AF in Apature Priority. Even after exposure compnesation, the colors are a somewhat washed out. The reds are horrible. I can tweek the picture control or perform post processing to get the colors to resemble something realistic but I really shouldn't have to! FYI, my lenses are spectacular with film.

I've tried everything. All metering modes, picture control settings... If there is a way to dial this thing in then I sure can't figure it out.

I hear a lot of the same problems from the US & UK... you can add Canada to the list now!

hammonda1 Regular Member • Posts: 162
Just As I Found

I think more users are becoming aware of the over exposure problem.
--
Dave Hammond

breivogel Senior Member • Posts: 2,261
Change the brightness

to -1 (left one click from center) as a first approximation to proper "exposure". The default center position never should have been the default - a mistake on Nikon's part. Beyond that, you can make custom tone curves in NX and download them to the camera. That is what I did, so that I now have equivalents to the color modes of the D200.

breivogel's gear list:breivogel's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX100 IV Olympus TG-5 +17 more
Kerry Pierce
MOD Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757
what a coincidence....... :-)

First time posters drive by with a shot at the d300 on your favorite "issue" and you arrive within the hour to spout your little spiel.

Are you creating all of these new user accounts just to harp on this "issue"?

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +17 more
olstrup Veteran Member • Posts: 3,715
Don't feed the troll ....

.... numerous people have explained for David that it's NOT an overexposue issue but a question of curve settings (you may call that an issue if you don't like the default settings), and that it can easily be solved either in camera or with a custom curve. Yet he goes on like he heard or read nothing. I don't think he's serious.

Milan Novak New Member • Posts: 2
Re: what a coincidence....... :-)

Sounds like you guys are having quite a battle on this issue. Yes, I am a first time poster trying to finds some answers for my $2000 investment.

The exposure thing is a very easy thing to correct. The flat colors (mainly reds)really annoy me! Why do I need to create and upload custom curves to get a proper exposure. Why do I need to tweak every shot to get realistic colors. You'd think a Nikon this expensive would do that right out of the box!

I've used my old Nikkor lenses and borrowed a friends brand new DX lens... all give basically the same results (Not what I expected from this marvel). I'm sure I'll eventually get it dialed in with or without Nikon's help... but it'a a pain.

Lukeinla New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Change the brightness

Weighing in . . . I had a D300 for about a month, I found that with proper tweaking I could get the image i wanted, it wasn't always reliable, but if I took my time, I could get the exposure and color balance I wanted . . . and I think that's what a lot of you are saying, that is, there's nothing wrong with the camera that a little tweaking won't cure . . But for me at least, I want to take pictures, and my subjects don't or won't always wait for me to figure out how to get the shot I want out of the D300 . . . Spontaneity for me is key in photography, the shot usually doesn't wait . . And so I prefer the D200 and switched back . . not as many bells and whistles, certainly not the autofocus and low noise capability of the D300, but shot after shot, I know what the D200 will and won't do and I focus less on dialing in compensations and more on the often fleeting subject in front of my lens . . . It's really a personal preference I guess, no need to bash someone for having his or her preferences . . . Nikon makes great cameras, always did, always will . . . pick the one that works for your photography and run with it . . . Cheers! LOU

scottisheagle Contributing Member • Posts: 780
Re: Olstrup

Olstrup , I concur , I'm new to the D300 , but I agree entirely with your summary .

My problem ( IF there is one ? ) as someone who doesn't want to shoot RAW except on an occasional basis , is ......what are the best setttings for JPEG . Increase contrast ? , Decrease brightness ? or negative EV ( ? -1/3 ) .

On this state of ( albeit ) limited experience I'll go with the latter

-- hide signature --

scottisheagle's gear list:scottisheagle's gear list
Nikon D500
NickMJr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,752
Re: Custom Curves for the D300

ron wrucke wrote:

I personally think it’s time to just admit that the D300 seems to
have a tendency to over-expose images. I really don’t have a problem
with that. My old D100 under-exposed everything, so I loaded up a
custom curve which pretty much acted like a general fix .. it’s still
loaded up. I’m not sure what the fix is for my D300, but it needs
something.

Why don't you open your D300 users manual and turn to page 277. Its perfectly ok for you to admit that your D300, as you say a tendancy to over-expose. But you can't blame that problem on Nikon the fault is all your responsibility. If you do read page 277, you will learn that the D300 has a feature called Fine Tune Optimal Exposure. You dont need to complain about over-exposure or upload a special custom curve simple use your D300 as designed and fine tune your exposure as you seem fit.
http://nickmjr.smugmug.com/
Nick M

TexasAg03 Contributing Member • Posts: 676
No problems here

ron wrucke wrote:

I personally think it’s time to just admit that the D300 seems to
have a tendency to over-expose images. I really don’t have a problem
with that. My old D100 under-exposed everything, so I loaded up a
custom curve which pretty much acted like a general fix .. it’s still
loaded up. I’m not sure what the fix is for my D300, but it needs
something.

My D300 is fine, so I won't "admit" anything of the sort. I am sure there are some D300 with metering issues.

A little background: over the holidays, I was P&S’n the g’kids
opening up their presents on Christmas morning and with my SB-800 I
was blowing out the images (even with the diffuser dome on and
bouncing it). I was shooting Spot, so the flash was just TTL. I
dialed in a 1-stop exposure compensation on the flash, and the images
were still too bright, so I dialed in another 1-stop compensation on
the camera and the images were finally OK .. so, I plan on doing some
flash experiments just to see what was going on because that seems
like an awful lot of compensation. With the D100, I used to get
pretty good results and never had to fiddle with any compensation ..

Indoor flash shots have been great so far and certainly better than my old Nikon 35mm SLR. I would say the exposure was very good.

-- hide signature --

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Apostrophes
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#errors

ron wrucke
OP ron wrucke Senior Member • Posts: 1,065

NickMJr wrote:

Why don't you open your D300 users manual and turn to page 277. Its
perfectly ok for you to admit that your D300, as you say a tendancy
to over-expose. But you can't blame that problem on Nikon the fault
is all your responsibility. If you do read page 277, you will learn
that the D300 has a feature called Fine Tune Optimal Exposure.

.. thanks for your insiite, but it's a day late and a dollar short (did you note the date of the original post?) ..

Read following message (and look at option 2) ..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=26222561&q=b6&qf=m

Yes, for about the 10th time in this thread, I have read the manual ...
--
Ron Wrucke (Va Eastern Shore)
http://home.baycrk.net/rwrucke

ron wrucke's gear list:ron wrucke's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +2 more
NickMJr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,752

ron wrucke wrote:

NickMJr wrote:

Why don't you open your D300 users manual and turn to page 277. Its
perfectly ok for you to admit that your D300, as you say a tendancy
to over-expose. But you can't blame that problem on Nikon the fault
is all your responsibility. If you do read page 277, you will learn
that the D300 has a feature called Fine Tune Optimal Exposure.

.. thanks for your insiite, but it's a day late and a dollar short
(did you note the date of the original post?) ..

Read following message (and look at option 2) ..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=26222561&q=b6&qf=m

Yes, for about the 10th time in this thread, I have read the manual ...
--

I noticed the date just after I posted it. But I figured it would still apply for others that may have the same situation. So have you retracted your statment claiming there is a tendancy to over-expose?
http://nickmjr.smugmug.com/
Nick M

ron wrucke

NickMJr wrote:

.. well, I've corrected it in that, if over-exposure means blown highlights, than that is not what the camera does. What it does seem to do is produce an image that is too bright .. it's like somebody took a straight-line curve and pulled the middle of it up. Based on numerous posts in this thread, and others on the forum, this is a pretty common observation .. and the fix is as noted.
--

Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +2 more
zenfr9 Contributing Member • Posts: 846
Too much curves ...

Inside my D300 there are at this moment 12 picture controls :

• 4 built-in from Nikon,

• 3 from D2X Nikon, (brightness -1 for all of them)

• 3 from oldies curves giving Fuji film's simulation,

• 1 for Sam's setting (flash),

• and the one from me (for painting color).

Too much to manage ?

I mostly use D2XMode1 for portrait, Mod3 for landscape, Sam's settings for flash, and my own picture control when I shoot painting.

Perhaps I'll delete the three Fuji curves. They were from D200, so a little too bright for D300.

ron wrucke
Re: Too much curves ...

zenfr9 wrote:

Inside my D300 there are at this moment 12 picture controls :

• 4 built-in from Nikon,

• 3 from D2X Nikon, (brightness -1 for all of them)

• 3 from oldies curves giving Fuji film's simulation,

• 1 for Sam's setting (flash),

• and the one from me (for painting color).

Winter weather kind of puts a crimp on my experimentation, so I'm still just working with the 4-nikon and the 3 D2X curves .. no custom curve yet ..

mitchski Junior Member • Posts: 28
-- hide signature --

Mitch

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads