End of D40X production !!?????

Started Dec 27, 2007 | Discussions
dan man Regular Member • Posts: 165
Re: BREAKING NEWS --- Nikon D60

This has got to be the shortest DSLR product cycle ever!!! Maybe one of those quick succession 6mp Pentax models was a faster replacement.

Ten months is a crazy update cycle. I guess it makes sense considering it was just a D40 with a D80 shutter and sensor shoehorned in. By making the D40x a frankenstein, it gave the R&D team the time and money they needed to do a serious $800 heavy hitting kit. All new body...I still hold out a small hope that it will have a screwdrive AF motor.

I've seen some talk about the D60 being kitted with the new 16-85VR, but I think this will be the less popular kit. Just like the D40x, most people buy it with the least expensive lens/lenses. Most people will buy the D60 with the new 18-55VR, and a few will upgrade to the more advanced lens. Just like a few people upgrade to the 18-135 (at a discounted kit price) with their D40x.

LaurieM Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: DSLR to replace P&S ???

Because of 12X Optical zoom and Optical Image Stabilizer...?

menameisatsushi Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: End of D40X production !!?????

Looks like they have withdrawn the statement from the website.

When I reported this on 27th ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=26187805 ), it was clearly mentioned on the Nikon D40x page that Nikon hold no more stock of this product.

However the statement is no where to be seen on the same page today
http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/camera/slr/digital/d40x/

I agree that the wording on the DC Watch article is a bit ambiguous.

Not sure if its D60 or D90, but it sure looks like there is something going on.

c1t0d0s0 wrote:
I'm Japanese.
The summary is "D40x is out of stock in Japan. It's only in Japan."
But that article contains ambiguous expression, so I can't say with
certainty...
There's no official announcement on Nikon Japan website yet.

M-L wrote:

Can someone read Japanese translate this please?

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/dslr/2007/12/27/7685.html

Stujoe Veteran Member • Posts: 5,857

The FZ50 is about 6 month overdue for its normal upgrade cycle and if nothing is announce by PMA, I think you can stick a fork in it...it's done.

With their lineup of bridge P&S's, why Panny didn't come out with a 'Bridge' dSLR like the E510 is beyond me.

-- hide signature --
 Stujoe's gear list:Stujoe's gear list
Olympus E-620 Nikon D750 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
eml1909 Regular Member • Posts: 262

Is there any way of "tagging" a thread so that you can followany future posts?

azguy
azguy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,599
Re: Focus motor? No, Live view

MrRoger wrote:

I don't think we are going to see Nikon putting a Focus motor in the
new D40, seems to me that in lens focus motors are rapidly becoming
standard and cutting out the camera one to keep costs and size down
on an entry level model makes good sense.

It also seems to me that they will stay with the low-end bodies with no focusing motor.

I predict that we will see 2 new cameras with the D300 sensor and
live view, but with 3fps capacity and SD cards. The cheaper will not
have the focus motor, the more expensive one, in addition to the
focus motor, will have a larger buffer for burst shooting and 2
control dials.

I doubt it will be that soon. The 10MP sensor will remain for a while as the sensor of choice in the lower end bodies. Nikon will "milk" the D300 sensor a little longer I believe. Basic marketing.
--
JohnE

Other than bookmarking it in your browser, the only way I know to easily follow a thread is the way you just did.

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-620 Nikon D750 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
thomas2279 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,876
Re: 450d specs...

I can't see much of an upgrade from the existing 400d to the 450d and nothing to get excited about it;

Only extra things I could see from the spec; Live View (Very good on Canon 40d), Improved autofocus & 3 to 5 fps. It will still be agood camera and probably bundled with fisher price like 18-55 EFs Is lens.

However I think that the update to excellent D40x (when-ever it comes out) will also come with 18-55 Afs VR lens and maybe 12mp cmos sensor, live view, anti-dust featurette, improved AF & more points,etc. I think we will see the new 16-85 Afs VR lens bundled with rumoured D80 replacement next year too.

-- hide signature --

My Pictures & Web Site: http://www.dltp.co.uk

MrRoger Contributing Member • Posts: 712
Re: Focus motor? No, Live view

azguy wrote:

I doubt it will be that soon. The 10MP sensor will remain for a
while as the sensor of choice in the lower end bodies. Nikon will
"milk" the D300 sensor a little longer I believe. Basic marketing.
--

Dunno. Understand the concept of milking the D300, but what about the competition?

The D40X just manages to match the 400D on DR and IQ on low ISO, but falls behing at high ISO.

This spring we are expecting the D400's successor. The 400D's weak points have been the kitlens and that many people find it awkward to hold. The kitlens has allready been revised, I would be very suprised if the ergonomics of the new 400D has not been addressed, and I would be suprised if the sensor does not improve.

So where would that leave Nikon?

I do not think the D40/D80 would enroach on the D300's market anyway, we are talking about a different class of camera, robust and fast enougth for professional use.

Grandcentral Contributing Member • Posts: 556
Re: BREAKING NEWS --- Nikon D60

According to Thom Hogan the D40X has stopped production for the D40X but no mention of the D40. I guess for a while Nikon will keep the D40 in production as an entry level DSLR. The D40X is too close to the D80 which I suspect will be replaced. Olympus has both the E410 and E510 and both are ten megapixels and both have live view. Either of them seem to be in the D40X price range and they can be bought with a 2 lens kit. The other manufacturers also have 10 megapixel cameras in the same price range. It would seem logical that Nikon keep the D40 for a while, replace both the D40X and the D80 and come up with one mid range camera in the same price range between entry level dslr D40 like the other brands for the other camera companies.

menameisatsushi Regular Member • Posts: 268
No longer sold by Nikon

I have just found that, if you go to Nikon-Direct (where you can buy stuff direct from Nikon online), D40x is listed as "no longer on sale".

http://shop.nikon-image.com/front/ProductVBA170AJ.do

Add this info to the rumour mill

Gary R. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196

Tianium wrote:

Sorry but this statement is total RUBBISH.
Put the D40 into AUTO mode and it IS a P&S, but with the speed and IQ
of a DLSR.
I think that as entry level dslrs come down in price and get live
view we will see the phasing out of bridge cams like the bigger Pany
FZ50 and the Fuji S6500 and S9500. Why on earth would you buy one of
these cams when they are almost the same size and weight as a dslr?
At the moment there is still a price difference , but that is
decreasing.

A considerable number of FZ50 users don't buy them because they're cheaper than DSLR's, they buy them because they're more useful. With a stabilized Leica-quality 35-420mm built in to a camera that will hang nicely on a bino-harness or strap during a long strenuous hike without needing any special attention, you have a camera that will get scenics, birds, wildlife, and whatever comes up. And they're nowhere near the size and weight of a DSLR with similar lens. If you don't mind a camera running your life, you can do the same with a DSLR, but some of us don't want packs full of gear and the annoyance of lens swaps. And admittedly, not lusting over $2000-5000 lenses in a nice bonus.

Everyone has their priorities, and if a smooth image is #1, then a DSLR is a good choice. But there's a lot to consider besides less noise at high ISO, and to many of us that takes a back seat to other considerations.

Being a former 35mm SLR user, long-term, I doubt I'll ever go back to an SLR, digital or not. I'm having too much fun with an extremely versatile camera configuration that never existed before digital ultrazooms were developed. SLR's on the other hand, are old-hat makeovers from 35mm days, not much exciting there, and of course an endless lens money-pit to boot.

So I'd buy one, and I know of quite a few who have seen the light, dumped their DSLR gear and switched, so I think there's still a market. Go somewhere like Amazon and read user reviews...there are a lot of folks who are really happy with what Panasonic's done with their ultrazooms...not all of us are "working our way up to a dSLR" 8^).

-- hide signature --
 Gary R.'s gear list:Gary R.'s gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ

Gary R. wrote:

but some of us don't want packs full of gear

That's really not a big deal. I just rent a couple of mules, hire a few Sherpas and go on my hike. Sure, it might be midnight before I get all my packs loaded up and on the trail but that is where the high ISO comes in handy. And, as an added benefit, I saw on Man vs Wild that you can use a huge dSLR lens to start a fire much faster than with a smaller point and shoot lens.

-- hide signature --
MrRoger Contributing Member • Posts: 712
Terminology abuse

Gary R. wrote:

Tianium wrote:

of a DLSR.

The problem is realy that the term P&S is abused. P&S is a way of taking a photo, in full automatic mode. DSLR's are much better than compacts at P&S photography.

Many compact cameras offer P&S ONLY, you cannot get manual control, hence they are called P&S. But that does not mean there are not compact cameras capable of manual control, some are awkward, manual is doable, some are quite good and have been designed with manual control in mind.

But a DSLR on average is better at (almost) everything. The principle, and almost only advantage of a compact camera is that it is compact But depending on your circumstances that can be an important issue.

For the record, other areas were compacts have advantages is much less distortion on long range zooms, excellent information in the EVF viewfinders including live histograms, very few moving parts, contrast AF which whilst being slow can be more accurate and flexible than phase detection.

Gary R. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196

Stujoe wrote:

That's really not a big deal. I just rent a couple of mules, hire a
few Sherpas and go on my hike. Sure, it might be midnight before I
get all my packs loaded up and on the trail but that is where the
high ISO comes in handy. And, as an added benefit, I saw on Man vs
Wild that you can use a huge dSLR lens to start a fire much faster
than with a smaller point and shoot lens.

Plus, twisting the lens of a fixed-lens camera is hard work, and you can't start a fire with it on the camera. This is why I always carry matches.

I've also heard those nice 400mm f/2.8 lenses are nice for beating off mountain lions and bears...I don't think my FZ50 would be much help; maybe I should think this over...
8^)

-- hide signature --
 Gary R.'s gear list:Gary R.'s gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ
VLampa Senior Member • Posts: 1,030
Re: Wow! Nikon is really keeping up the pressure...

thw wrote:

Despite the spectacular sales of the D40x and its relatively recent
release date:
http://bcnranking.jp/news/0712/071219_9357p1.html
Nikon intends to update the camera so that it can rival the 400D
replacement. It appears that Nikon desperately wants to be in the
same position as Canon years ago when the latter was essentially tops
in every category.

I think any camera manufacturer aims for that in the long term.

I kind of suspect that future DSLRs releases are going to follow the
same trend as current compact digicams: shortening shelf life. Didn't
Olympus and Pentax start this trend a year ago.

I hope such aggressive competition can only result in cheaper and
better cameras for everyone. Will DSLRs eventually replace compact
digicams in terms of popularity?

Only if they can make DSLRs pocketable. I doubt many would see the advantage of being able to change lenses especially when taking into consideration the relative bulkiness of bringing a DSLR system compared to a super-zoom camera.

Camera phones have a better chance of replacing compact digicams. For one, most people just want to take snapshots, and could care less about noise, FPS, etc.

My two cents.

Lupti
Lupti Senior Member • Posts: 1,577
Re: 450d specs...

Mark in Cleveland wrote:

Depending on how the 450 is priced, it sounds like a "poor man's"
40D....

Well when it can handle 5fps the gap to the 40D isn´t so big...

You made a picture...fine!

Tianium wrote:

of a DLSR.
I think that as entry level dslrs come down in price and get live
view we will see the phasing out of bridge cams like the bigger Pany
FZ50 and the Fuji S6500 and S9500. Why on earth would you buy one of
these cams when they are almost the same size and weight as a dslr?
At the moment there is still a price difference , but that is
decreasing.
These bigger BRIDGE cams will dissapear.
Darin

Same weight of a DSLR, but that would be a DSLR with only the kit lens. A DSLR with a more hefty zoom range that can match the 18x range of bridge cams would weigh much more and would be much bigger.

As to size, DSLRs are really bigger, which is no surprise.

Bridge cams won't disappear anytime soon. There is a market for people who want a big zoom range, but cannot see themselves buying lenses for a DSLR.

Stujoe wrote:

That's really not a big deal. I just rent a couple of mules, hire a
few Sherpas and go on my hike. Sure, it might be midnight before I
get all my packs loaded up and on the trail but that is where the
high ISO comes in handy. And, as an added benefit, I saw on Man vs
Wild that you can use a huge dSLR lens to start a fire much faster
than with a smaller point and shoot lens.

Now there's a good use for those F1.2/1.4 primes.

VLampa wrote:

Bridge cams won't disappear anytime soon. There is a market for
people who want a big zoom range, but cannot see themselves buying
lenses for a DSLR.

I think the smaller super zooms like the FZ18, SP560, etc will continue. I think what will go away are the large ones like the Panny FZ50 and large Fuji type.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads