Lens creep 'fix'?

Started Dec 18, 2007 | Discussions
eNo
eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
Re: Care to share where it was made, and S/N?

antoineb wrote:

Mine was made in Thailand, and I've posted the S/N previously

I'm just wondering whether maybe lenses made in specific places
(assuming they're not all made in Thailand!), may be consistently
better (or worse).

Mine is made in Thailand as well, S/N 2938xxx. How long did it take for yours to start creeping? There is an ACE H/W store close to my house.

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Test everything; hold on to the good.

tom graham Senior Member • Posts: 1,702
Dust inside

After over a year of use (not a a lot, only occasionally) I could see what I thought was to much dust inside. I took it to Nikon service ElSegundo CA and asked them about it and they said it needed cleaning. Since I had proof of purchase (but never had registered the lens) they cleaned it for free and shipped it back to me for free. Took about 2 weeks. I also asked them to check on the creep thing and they replied that it was normal. 18-200VR
regards - tom

brandi Regular Member • Posts: 337
Re: Care to share where it was made, and S/N?

Sorry but the "O"Ring "fix" won't work! I tried every "o" ring in the store ( Fastening store--Sell anything and everything that can be used to 'fasten things together.Such as, nails,screws, gaskets, seals, "O" rings.

None of the "O" rings I tried worked. I was afraid of forcing a few on my lens for fear of cracking or beaking the "tubes".

Tape? Be very careful if considering tape because you may end up having the tape become "lodged" between your (extended) lens "tubes/sections"!

I think the "problem" is highly overrated anyways. Simply insure that your lens is not extended at all before you start to carry your camera around your neck or shoulder. The lens won't creep out at all if you remember to simply cary it un-extended. brandi

LuMax Regular Member • Posts: 319
Works for me...

The 2 7/8" thin o-ring from Ace works perfectly for me. See photo above. It does sometimes get "rolled" back on the lens when I put the camera into my bag and then pull it back out, but a quick flip of the finger aligns it right where it needs to be once again.

globaleric New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Lens creep 'fix'?

For the record: Mine, bought 2 days ago as kit lens (= holiday lens) with my new D300 creeps as well since day 1, but only between about 50 and 135mm.
S/N 29569XX , made in Thailand.

However I doubt the production country really makes a difference as it's probably a design issue. Also, my old 'Made in Japan' AF 4.5-5.6/75-300mm creeps as well.

antoineb Veteran Member • Posts: 6,650
Same here indeed

Kit 18-200 lens on my D300 started creeping after about 3-4 days. Just long enough for me to start thinking, "hey maybe they HAVE solved the problem!"

It's not SO bothersome, but it CAN be. Examples:

• you have the zoom factor you like, take a few shots. Point the camera down for a couple secs just to check on some recent shots. Bring the lens back up to continue shooting - discover the lens has creeped and is now at maximum zoom!

• you're in an akward position where it's tought to hold body AND lens. You struggle to even just be able to take a shot because your 18-200 keeps creeping

and so on

the more I'm experimenting w the D300, the more I'm seeing the limits of the 18-200 zoom. Sure it's a conveient all-rounder, but it seems to me (based on my own recent and short experience, more importantly based on the feedback of much more experienced photographers here on the dpreview forums), that maybe it fits better a slightly more humble body, where its limits won't be made so clearly apparent.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +5 more
Pierre New Member • Posts: 24
Re: Works for me...

Do you know the Part #? I went to my local Ace Hardware yesterday and they didn't have any o-ring that big.

LuMax wrote:

The 2 7/8" thin o-ring from Ace works perfectly for me. See photo
above. It does sometimes get "rolled" back on the lens when I put
the camera into my bag and then pull it back out, but a quick flip of
the finger aligns it right where it needs to be once again.

LuMax Regular Member • Posts: 319
part number

I no longer have the receipt, but the next time I go by Ace I'll write it down. Might be a number of days though.

gradux Regular Member • Posts: 130
Re: Dust inside

i'll try this.

Stan Monk New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Ace hardware - black 0-ring

I have tried 2 7/8. It is too big.
That's what works for me

Inside Diameter(ID) 2 3/4 "
Outside Diameter (OD) 3.0"

StanMonk

eNo
eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744

Stan Monk wrote:

I have tried 2 7/8. It is too big.
That's what works for me

Inside Diameter(ID) 2 3/4 "
Outside Diameter (OD) 3.0"

Couldn't find anything close to these dimensions either at ACE or other H/W stores. Tried 2 3/16" and it's way too tight and provides too much friction, but I'm hopping it will stretch, so I have it on the ring where it doesn't make contact where it matters (i.e., where it would stop the creep) and see how that works. For now, I'll roll it into the joint only when I am walking about with the camera hanging on my neck or when I want to lock the zoom in place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Test everything; hold on to the good.

Art Caputi Regular Member • Posts: 161

This issue arose a couple of months ago. One solution that seemed to work was a black wrist band from a seller on ebay. I don't have the link any longer but if the elusive search functions is available you can probably find it. However, I bought about a dozen (I think that was the minimum order). It does work like a charm and is very inconspicuous. I still have a bunch left, and I woud lbe happy to drop one into the mail for you. If you are interested, just send me a note at acaputi@msn.com with your home address. I'll get it in the mail this week if you wish.
--
Art Caputi

lovEU Veteran Member • Posts: 3,135
Re: My fix

genece wrote:

maybe that's how Canon started to produce white lenses
--
regards, eric

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads