Lens creep 'fix'?

Started Dec 18, 2007 | Discussions
lordbeau Senior Member • Posts: 1,242
Lens creep 'fix'?

Does anyone know anything about this? I read on some website that Nikon were making an 'improved' 18-200 VR without the lens creep, and also offering a fix for current owners. It was an interview with someone from Nikon on either photozone or cameralabs or some such website. Now I can't find it. Getting an answer from Nikon is proving difficult, as usual.

OP lordbeau Senior Member • Posts: 1,242
OK: just found it

So is this a joke or not?

Re: Lens creep 'fix'?

It's on cameralabs but dpreview blocked the URL from this post:

Try again

Gosh, this is not easy. Let' see if the quote is also blocked this time:

Last attempt, then I give up.

"Well, seriously: Nikon’s famous super-zoom just got better. They managed to get rid of the dreadful zoom-creep! And they promised to stop zoom-creep on my copy too, should I find the time to send it in to Nikon-service."

The above is a quote from an interview with a Canon guy.

deuxcent
deuxcent Senior Member • Posts: 1,324

So then don't post the whole URL. Just tells us the part that comes after ....labs.com. I looked, can't find the article.

Thanks!

deuxcent's gear list:deuxcent's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more

interviews/Nikon_D3_first_impression

Hocus Pocus Senior Member • Posts: 1,712

I scanned the article quickly; didn't see a mention of fix. However, others has done it simply by adding a bit of tape in a strategic location to add friction to the lens so that it stays in place without causing other problems.

Andr2 Regular Member • Posts: 221

Bought my D300 with a 18-200 and was surprised how tight the lens felt after all the comments about creep.

No creep whatsoever, I tried it by pointing it down and shaking it.
Also the reported lens wobble, when extended, was'nt there.
Very tight lens, but still smooth zooming.

It also appears to be pretty sharp.

Rgds...André

antoineb Veteran Member • Posts: 6,650

My two cents:

• yes, confirmed BOTH at store where I just bought my D300, and at a Nikon booth in another store: the new evolution of the 18-200 VR, is creep-free

• yes, confirmed at a shop: the old 18-200's can be fixed for this. I don't know more. Of course the issue is, if you need to send your 18-200 zoom back, and it takes a month, then what are you going to shoot with in the meantime?

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +5 more
Tom O Regular Member • Posts: 272
Actually it's: /interviews/Nikon_D300_first_impression/ (nt)
My brand new started creeping after just 3 days!

Yesterday evening, 3 days of ownership of the 18-200 on a D300, I try a shot from above, and guess what? BIG lens creep!

So despite what they said, it's pretty clear that the lens creep on the D300, has not been fixed I'm afraid. And this is a lens recent enough to have been sold in a box together w the D300.

Too bad, really.

This is a "made in Thailand" lens, Serial Number 2954641

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +5 more
Update from Nikon: FWIW

(Answer from Nikon) Thank you for your e-mail. I'm afraid that what you have heard is internet nonsense indeed. The zoom creep effect will just get worse over time - the service centre can correct it so it goes back to how it was at the beginning of the product's life, but that's all you could hope for in this case.

Kind Regards

Amandine G.
Nikon Europe Support
http://www.europe.support.com/support

(Original Question) Hello, I own the 18-200 VR lens. I understand from a website that you now have a fix to stop the lens from creeping. Is this the case or just Internet nonsense? Many thanks.

Re: Update from Nikon: FWIW

is this genuine? It difficult for me to imagine that anyone in support would write that a problem on a product would "just get worse over time"? If it is genuine then it's not nice to hear

olstrup Veteran Member • Posts: 3,715

Well, it's been like that with the 18-200 from the beginning, and it has been a well known issue with that lens - many, many posts written about it on all the fora. If Nikon would/could do something about it, they would have done it long time ago. But since the lens sell like hot cakes despite the breep, they don't have any real incentive to redesign it.

Makes sense
  • firstly there is no competition. The Sigma 18-200 for Canon, say, has a horrible bokeh so all the blurred backgrounds look bad

• secondly, the creep is not THAT bothersome, because one doesn't take that many shots with the lens pointed up, or down

• thirdly, I'm sure it's fixeable, but it's all a question of cost, and influence on price of lens. If Nikon fixed it but it added say usd 100 to the price, that wouldn't work.

I was surprised at her (?) reply. Here's the text of the original:

To update your question from the Nikon web site, click here

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 21 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Nikon Europe Support 19/12/2007 10:22 AM

Thank you for your e-mail. I'm afraid that what you have heard is internet nonsense indeed. The zoom creep effect will just get worse over time - the service centre can correct it so it goes back to how it was at the beginning of the product's life, but that's all you could hope for in this case.

Kind Regards

Amandine G.
Nikon Europe Support
http://www.europe.support.com/support

16/12/2007 03:10 PM

Hello, I own the 18-200 VR lens. I understand from a website that you now have a fix to stop the lens from creeping. Is this the case or just Internet nonsense? Many thanks.

genece Forum Pro • Posts: 15,437
My fix

Now I am not sure why I need to do this, but it does work.......and I have found black bands that are not easy to notice

-- hide signature --

Gene from Western Pa

http://imageevent.com/grc6
http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
FZ10....20 and 30 and FZ18

D50 ....D80 - 18 to 200VR- 50mm 1.8 - 80 to 400 OS

Just trying to learn and it's slow going!

genece's gear list:genece's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Nikon D7000 Nikon D50 Nikon D7100
giorgio2004 Regular Member • Posts: 137

antoineb wrote:

• yes, confirmed BOTH at store where I just bought my D300, and at a

Nikon booth in another store: the new evolution of the 18-200 VR, is
creep-free

• yes, confirmed at a shop: the old 18-200's can be fixed for this.

I don't know where they got this information, but it doesn't seem correct. Recently the VR on my 18-200 died (apparently also a common problem) and it also had a TERRIBLE amount of lens creep. I sent it in for service under warranty. When the lens came back, both problems were indeed fixed. However, after a few weeks of use, the lens creep is starting to show up again.

-- hide signature --
VadimOm Senior Member • Posts: 1,903

mine's got terrible creep... it's gotten to a point, that I can't shoot on a tripod with the lens tilted more than certain angle up or down - it creeps in or out and can't keep the zooming position I pick.... I think I'm about to try the "scotch tape" fix

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads