Live view - histogram

Started Dec 10, 2007 | Discussions
Miro Zumrik New Member • Posts: 12
Live view - histogram

Having no time once again went through IFU, did you find if possible to have on-line histogram during live view shooting D3/D300 ?
I have tested this function in 1DM3 and is great to see histogram changes live.
This option is in place for example in Nikon E 8400 ( P&ß)

jurek nems Regular Member • Posts: 120
Re: Live view - histogram

Yes - in tripod mode press OK
bur first select histogram in "display mode"

jean bernier Veteran Member • Posts: 3,181
Does'nt seem to work here...

I have both RGB and regular histograms selected in view mode, the last picture viewed was left in histogram viewing mode, but in tripod live view, I get the grid, no grid, LCD brightness adjustment, that's it.
What I 'm I missing?

-- hide signature --

Jean Bernier

All photographs are only more or less credible illusions

jurek nems Regular Member • Posts: 120
Re: Does'nt seem to work here...

You must press "OK" first and after "info" until you get histogram

Thanks a bunch

OK found it, top of page 99. I have to admit I have read the manual looking for new features only, and try to get through as fast as possible.

Live view is a thing of beauty: first I thought it was a gimmick, but I soon realised this is the first time we have a tool to do really critical focus: we had to take shots at different focus points in order to get the optimum rez of the D2X (at least to be sure we had optimum focus on those tripod shots).

With LView:

I prefer to use tripod mode with manual focus: the enlargement is tremendous, I even checked the 24-70mm parfocal behaviour with it: it stays critically in focus when zooming .

And in tripod mode, the view is through the actual aperture, so you can check DOF live, as well as the interaction between histogram and shutter/aperture.

I just adjusted one picture, where an ideal histogram was obtained in manual with a metered one stop underexposure. The only exposure measurement is matrix in this mode, but how can you miss?.
This is invaluable to landscape and tabletop, architecture photographers.
Time to pull that wallet out of the pocket!
--
Jean Bernier

jcnjcn Regular Member • Posts: 449

Sorry. In Tripod live view, press ok, then info. Got a big grid, but no live histogram.
What am I doing wrong?
jc

How I understand it, as soon as the image appears, press OK.

Then press info several times, wich will rotate through the different options: grid, analog lightmeter, analog lightmeter+histogram, or nothing at all on screen.

After turning off or taking a picture, live will reopen the next time with your last setting when pressing ok: if you left the camera in histogram LV, it will show histogram first.
--
Jean Bernier

Jean
Is your firmware A: 1.0 and B:1.0?

I know that live histogram was added in one of the firmware update and I am not able to still find the live histogram.
Regards
jc

Yes, same firmware here A 1.00 B 1.00
--
Jean Bernier

I am doing something wrong.
Setting:
In display mode, histograms enabled
Live View Tripod enabled
Operation:
View a picture with the RGB histogram displayed
go into LiveView, press ok and press info several times, still no histogram.
What am I doing wrong?
jc

Let's try again..

I'm doing it before your very eyes, so to speak:

Tripod live view:
Press shutter
Image appears, with red rectangle in the middle

DO NOT PRESS THE ARROW TOP LEFT OF THE CAMERA: (PLAYBACK BUTTON)this is for bright viewing only, with adjustments possible of the LCD

Press OK: analogue meter appears at the right, and the view is what's you'll get in terms of exposure and dof, at least in manual exposure.
Press info: grid appears on top
Press info: grid disappears, live histogram appears.

Something's wrong in the sequence you use. Keep playing with those buttons

-- hide signature --

Jean Bernier

Re: Let's try again..

Jean

I am not getting the analogue meter neither, I shall play with info button and sequence and get it right.
Thank you for your help.
jc

Jean

Its working now, even the analogue meter appears. I had to disable Active Lighting as mention on page 99.
Thank for every thing. Am now happy. The live histogram is very good.
jc

RJSPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,686

thanks

RJSPhotography's gear list:RJSPhotography's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Glad you found ...

the culprit. I did not know about the D-lighting thing. I do not plan to use it, as I shoot NEF, and D-lighting is better done in post IMO, but it can be useful for jpg shooters.

Yes, this LV feature is amazing: you can do a critical focus on the extreme corner of a picture if you want, then press OK and check a live histogram and a good LCD representation of the image set to your ISO/shutter/aperture combination. If you press OK again, after adjusting for best exposure, you're back to the "convenience Live view" in the absence of a proper term, where the image brightness is automatically adjusted through gain, for the purpose of framing and focus.

Have lots of fun.
Regards JB
--
Jean Bernier

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads