Using Manual Focus Lenses, How to make Focus Indicator stay LID?

Started Dec 4, 2007 | Discussions
Hanh New Member • Posts: 15
Using Manual Focus Lenses, How to make Focus Indicator stay LID?

Dear All,

When using Autofocus lenses on the SLR/c, in Manual Focus Mode, the focus indicator will blink, stay lid and beep when it is locked in focus.

When using Manual Focus Only lenses on the SLR/c, the focus indicator will blink ever so slightly but not stayed on even when it is locked in focus. The focus indicator does not stay lid and blink only fractions of a second.

Using Manual Focus Lenses, How to make Focus Indicator stay LID like when we are using Autofocus lenses but in Manual Focus mode?

I found this little trick on how to make the focus indicator stay LID -

1. Mount an autofocus lens on SLR/c
2. Turn On Camera
3, Switch Lens to Manual Focus mode

4. Perform some manual focusing using focusing ring so that the autofocus idicator stay lid and beep
5. Turn off Camera
6. Unmount the autofocus lens
7. Mount the Manual Focus lens
8, Turn on Camera

9. Now when focus with MF lens, the Focus Indicator should stay lid permanent if the subject is in focus

Note - If you change battery, the above steps starting from step 1 have to be repeated.

I hope this works for you as it does for me. I am using firmware 5.4.9.

Hanh

Garen Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
Re: Using Manual Focus Lenses, How to make Focus Indicator stay LID?

Thanks a lot for the info will try it in few minutes, I was having tough times MFing with my Ziess lenses.

Best regards,
Garen

-- hide signature --

Who says it can't be done?

Garen Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
Hi Hanh, I checked and

Like you said it does work even with non-cpu lenses like nikon mount ziess lenses on a SLR/C with an adapter from novaflex.

Garen
--
Who says it can't be done?

OP Hanh New Member • Posts: 15
Garen, I am glad it worked for you also!

Hi Garen,

It saves a lot of trouble not having to deal with the autofocus add-on chip. I have found that using the above steps, the focus indicator will stay lid for all MF lenses.

Happy Holidays,
Hanh

HenkL Contributing Member • Posts: 585
Re: Garen, I am glad it worked for you also!

mmm. I tried this trick with my Kodak 14n.. and it seems that previous nervous blinking of the focus indicator is gone.. at least it is not nervous blinky anymore.... (my Kodak has no beep btw). Great tip!

1goodeye Contributing Member • Posts: 722
Re: Focus Indicator ....Brilliant!

Hanh
I just made a quick test with my Hartblei MF & the focus indicater locks in...
Nice work!

Im curious, was this a "happy accident" discovery, or were you following a hunch?

I will be trying this out on some leica & OM MF lenses today......
William
--
williamwgood dot com

John Nollendorfs Contributing Member • Posts: 821
Re: Hi Hanh, I checked and

I wuz always curious why sometimes my old 85mm I use for copying would blink, and other times not. I thought it wuz me, for not selecting a good area to focus on!

-- hide signature --

John Nollendorfs

neil poulsen Regular Member • Posts: 287

I tried this. I still have to press down the shutter release half way to get the focus light to come on.

Maybe there's some other setting that'a interfering.

My one manual focus lens is a 35mm PC lens. (Olympus.) I've not had much of a problem getting the camera to beep when in "focus". The problem I encounter is that the range over which the Kodak tells me that the camera is in focus is so large, as to make the focus indicator ineffective. I wish I had a sensitivity setting, or something, so that I could tighten it down.

Is there a solution for this using the camera's focusing capability?

neil poulsen Regular Member • Posts: 287

To continue . . .

I tried identifying the range within which the camera would beep, and then selecting my focus in the center of that range. Then, I figured that I had to go just to the long side of that range. Etc.

I finally got a Minolta SRT close focus device that fits the SLR/c and works fine.

It would have been nice, had Kodak selected a focus screen with a matte surface in the center, or something. For example, there's no problem focusing using a 1Ds that a friend of mine owns.

It's interesting how one has to become acquainted with their camera and figure out ways around it's idiosynchrasies.

Still, while I might purchase a Canon body, I would not trade in the SLR/c.

OP Hanh New Member • Posts: 15
Re: Adjusting focus detection sensitiviy...

Hi Neil,

With the SLR/c, I find that the focus confirmation's sensitivity can be WIDE when using the lens wide open at f/1.4 or f/2.0. The confirmation is less WIDE when stop down a bit. It varies from lens to lens. You can adjust the width of focus confirmation's sensitivity using this method even though the screen will be darkened a bit.

Also, the metering is "more accurate" when in AV mode and setting the AV at a certain value other than the recommended setting of 1.0. For my Nikkor 35mm f/1.4, setting AV at 1.4, the metering is dead on. This also varies from lens to lens but after you have found the AV value, no more exposure compensation is needed.

Happy Holidays,
Hanh

Marzook New Member • Posts: 1

Many thanks. I was almost thinking of returning the manual lens. This technique saved the day.

Nikon D90, Samyang 85/1.4

Zookk

Teehee New Member • Posts: 5

Sorry to dig up the grave, but this tip does not work on my A77mII + Pentacon 135 2.8. Is it because of the M42-A.mount adapter?

Teehee's gear list:Teehee's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Dirk124 Regular Member • Posts: 188

Teehee wrote:

Sorry to dig up the grave, but this tip does not work on my A77mII + Pentacon 135 2.8. Is it because of the M42-A.mount adapter?

This is a trick for a Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c, which is based on a Sigma body. Does not aply for other cameras.

For the Sony you might need an adapter with focus confirm chip.

Dirk

Dirk124's gear list:Dirk124's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Sigma SD1 Merrill
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads