Started Dec 4, 2007 | Discussions
Phil Tower Regular Member • Posts: 223
Thanks (nt)

no text
--
Phil Tower

DY Regular Member • Posts: 320
Re: Canon is REPLACING Mark IIIs for news agecies

A friend of mine who works for FairFax, a big newspaper publisher and media owner here in Australia, tells me that Canon's main market for the 1 series are to news agencies. I am told that News agencies in Europe for instance buy their cameras in big batches only TWICE a year (mainly).

So in order not to loose that market and not let Nikon have an opportunity to get in, Canon puts the 1D3 up for sale while mentioning that there's a 'minor' or 'known' issue with the AF AND that it will be fixed via firmware. And at Osaka, they keep trying different firmware effectively using photogs as their beta testers. While behind the scenes they are working overtime to come up with the real fix - a Hardware fix.

In most countries there are laws against selling good which are "not fit for use". And the 1D3 with AF problems clearly fits this criteria, considering that its a pro sports camera and accurate AF performance is critical.

Then when the fix is announced, low and behold, its not a firmware fix but a hardware one. Then Canon goes one step further and says that they will be repairing the cameras for free (we're supposed to be grateful here) BUT they will not be replacing them. And judging from the serial numbers released by Canon it seems pretty much ALL the cameras manufactured are SUSPECT. About 45,000 cameras in all. But they are also saying send it in only if you think its faulty. In other words, Canon doesn't really know if a particular camera is faulty or not. Or they don't really care. Fewer cameras repairs is better for them.

So Canon has effectively been selling a product known to be defective just because it doesn't want to loose that market buying cycle to Nikon, which incidentally seems to have fully functioning new or soon to be released D300 and D3.

NOW, it seems that the big news agencies who bought all those Canon bodies is really making its presence felt and Canon is giving in. BUT they are only replacing cameras for their biggest customers who have the clout to really hurt Canon camera sales by moving to Nikon or threatening to do so.

Again, Canon plays the information game (or lack thereof) and shafts its non-corporate customers. Why? because they don't have the clout to complain.

Any manufacturer in the Car or PC industry who tries to do what Canon has been doing will be be hit by Class Action Law Suites. And with the laid back response of most individual 1D3 owners about the proposed fix and replace policy, it seems Canon thinks it can get away with it.

They probably will. Well done Canon.

dy

Phil Tower wrote:

Needless to say, I'm not a news agency - just a consumer who has
spent big bucks with Canon and (as with most other MK III owners)
who, in my not-so-humble opinion, has not been treated very well by
Canon.

orlandoom Senior Member • Posts: 1,081
I am one lucky non pro.

I posted this before but here goes. I bought a mk3 on oct 19 at Hunts Photo in hadley, massachusetts. I called them on 2 nov the day after the list of potential faulty mk3 serial numbers came out. Mine was on the list even though it was manufactured on sep 04. I asked if they could replace it with a new one. Last monday they called to tell me they had a replacement. I brought the original, perfectly functioning mk3 to them and they gave me a blue dot. They also said they were doing it for all their customers who bought on there.
don.

Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,779
You're a step ahead of me

Phil Tower wrote:

On October 19, I received the following e-mail from Canon:

Having heard nothing from Canon as of Nov 26, I sent Ron the
following e-mail:

"I have heard nothing back from you, even though you said the repair
program would probably be finalized by the end of October. It is now
the end of November, without any word from you or Canon.

I received no response to this e-mail, nor have I been contacted
about scheduling the repair other than receiving the canned e-mail
everyone received last week.

I haven't even received the Oct. 19th email yet! I called Canon to find out if I was indeed "registered" for the repair, and they said yes, and that I should be receiving some email information about that very shortly.

But what did I receive? Just a simple survey email asking if I was pleased with my phone conversation with the service rep!

So, I took the opportunity and used that to let them know how I felt about their lack of communication. It was probably one of the lowest-marked survey responses they've ever received.

Jason Stoller
Jason Stoller Veteran Member • Posts: 6,641

I could not agree with you more. They should have replaced the early MKIIs as well. I guess it depends on how many people are willing to complain. Maybe it will take a class action suit before its over.

Jason

Jpsrus wrote:

Here's one to burn your bacon - I have personal experience that Canon
is taking back MK IIIs bought by the wire services and giving them
new cameras. They are serial numbers post the fix. Actually this is
nothing new, I saw them do it when the first Mark IIs came out that
were also bogus. But its my opinion they should be replacing, not
repairing, EVERYONES cameras.

-- hide signature --

Jason Stoller ComicDom1@aol.com

We are just Beta Testers who pay the Camera Companies to test their new products!

Jason Stoller's gear list:Jason Stoller's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +11 more
Flasheart Regular Member • Posts: 254

Personally i wouldn't read too much into the fact that this geezer never got backt o you personally, am sure he was sending such missives out to a great many people. I think this sort of thing is endemic of customer service units all over the place, they make promises ( interms of response times and replies to emails) to punters they can't keep.

PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 11,106

Rob Kircher wrote:

Why would this surprise you? If you spent as much money as they
spend per year on equipment you'd have that kind of clout too.

I can't believe this statement...

Fortunately, at least over here, there is a little thing called "Law" that does not allow them to have this kind of differentiating treatment between customers in regard to warranties and support policies.

You can bet your money that if I get any proof, in my neck of the woods, that something similar has occurred I WILL also have a brand new one.

(Sheesh...who needs corporations strong armed tactics when some of us seem to have assimilated so well the role of docile consumers, as your reply seems to reflect.)

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(Pbase Supporter)

Gordon S Walker Senior Member • Posts: 2,730
Re: Welcome to DPReview!

Curator wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to create a new account to give us this
information. Hopefully you'll have lots to contribute in the future!

Why, you old cynic you...
I assume that was said with a hint of sarcasm in your typing.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

-- hide signature --

It's an L of a life, this photography lark

http://www.freelancephotographic.net/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads