Canon is REPLACING Mark IIIs for news agecies

Started Dec 4, 2007 | Discussions
Jpsrus New Member • Posts: 2
Canon is REPLACING Mark IIIs for news agecies

Here's one to burn your bacon - I have personal experience that Canon is taking back MK IIIs bought by the wire services and giving them new cameras. They are serial numbers post the fix. Actually this is nothing new, I saw them do it when the first Mark IIs came out that were also bogus. But its my opinion they should be replacing, not repairing, EVERYONES cameras.

Spuddy Regular Member • Posts: 204
Re: Canon is REPLACING Mark IIIs for news agecies

I'm sure there is a lot of replacing going on behind the scenes.

Jpsrus wrote:

Here's one to burn your bacon - I have personal experience that Canon
is taking back MK IIIs bought by the wire services and giving them
new cameras. They are serial numbers post the fix. Actually this is
nothing new, I saw them do it when the first Mark IIs came out that
were also bogus. But its my opinion they should be replacing, not
repairing, EVERYONES cameras.

alundy Regular Member • Posts: 495

POST or pre fix? I think you mean pre, right? Wouldnt need to replace the post fix camera's.....at least I hope not!!
--
inexperienced but learning

Rob Kircher Veteran Member • Posts: 3,451

Why would this surprise you? If you spent as much money as they spend per year on equipment you'd have that kind of clout too.

-- hide signature --

Rob Kircher
My Stuff: http://www.pbase.com/rkircher

iShootWideOpen
iShootWideOpen Regular Member • Posts: 361
My dealer took mine back after a month...

even though there return policy stated two weeks. I think Canon has told the dealers to take them back if the customer insists.

iShootWideOpen's gear list:iShootWideOpen's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +10 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 63,884

Jpsrus wrote:

Here's one to burn your bacon - I have personal experience that Canon
is taking back MK IIIs bought by the wire services and giving them
new cameras. They are serial numbers post the fix. Actually this is
nothing new, I saw them do it when the first Mark IIs came out that
were also bogus. But its my opinion they should be replacing, not
repairing, EVERYONES cameras.

This is simply good business sense:
1) The major market for Mk III's are wire services and agencies.
2) Canon now have a serious competitor for that market.
3) If they don't see them right, they are likely to desert in droves.
4) Amateurs are a minority market for the MkIII

5) For the average amateur, the capital tied up in glass and other accessories is a major factor, so they are less likely to switch.
6) Many amateurs have irrational brand loyalties, and so will not switch.

7) Therefore it's likely that many amateurs will be satisfied with a repair rather than replacement.

8) Amateurs will form the market for the thousands of refurbished MkIII's that will be released onto the market, to recoup the cash spent replacing the agency gear.

So, be happy, you will soon be able to buy a second MkIII on the cheap.

-- hide signature --

Bob

jbass New Member • Posts: 15

My retailer replaced mine s he told me my unit would not be back from Japan until sometime in January!

J A K Forum Pro • Posts: 15,833
With all due respect (I'm ...

not trying to start an argument here) I'd like to know if you have data to back up your statement (4) below; if you do, great, I'd love to know the source. It isn't a big deal at all and I have no data to back up what is merely an opinion on my part, but I would have bet the VAST majority of 1DmkIII users are serious amateurs, not working pros associated with the news services. Anyway, thanks in advance for your reply; I would really appreciate knowing what the right answer is regardless of "what" the answer is.

bobn2 wrote:

4) Amateurs are a minority market for the MkIII

Regards,

Joe Kurkjian, Pbase Supporter

SEARCHING FOR A BETTER SELF PORTRAIT

Phil Tower Regular Member • Posts: 223

On October 19, I received the following e-mail from Canon:

"My name is Ron and I am the supervisor of Canons e-mail support group
in Virginia. In conducting a review of e-mail responses to our
customers, I noticed that our recent response to you regarding your EOS
1D Mark III was not entirely complete, so I wanted to take the
opportunity to fully address your questions.

Not all EOS-1D Mark III cameras have issues with the sub-mirror
mechanism, and Canon USA is waiting for additional information from
Canon, Inc. regarding how affected models will be identified. Since we
do not yet have this information, at this time we cannot conclusively
let owners know if they have an affected unit. Also, since
environmental conditions, particularly higher than normal temperatures,
may increase the likelihood of unstable auto-focus prediction in AI
Servo mode, it may be difficult for owners to tell if their camera is
affected. So, given the situation, we anticipate that any EOS-1D Mark
III owner who is unhappy with the focus prediction performance will be
able to send in their camera for a no-charge evaluation and, if needed,
repair. As we do not yet have all of the required information from
Canon, Inc., this issue is difficult to fully explain via e-mail, but
rest assured we are going to take care of our EOS-1D Mark III owners.

Since your request also involved the calibration of multiple lenses to
your EOS-1D Mark III body, I will personally contact you when the repair
program is finalized, which should occur by the end of October, so we
can process your request. Our factory service team will get everyone
taken care of as quickly as possible, and your patience and
understanding is appreciated.

If at any time you need to contact me, you can reply directly to this
e-mail and it will be routed to my inbox."

Having heard nothing from Canon as of Nov 26, I sent Ron the following e-mail:

"I have heard nothing back from you, even though you said the repair program would probably be finalized by the end of October. It is now the end of November, without any word from you or Canon.

In the meantime, I understand that Canon is shipping new Blue Dot "fixed" cameras to its retailers. That concerns me greatly, as it demonstrates Canon is more interested in its own ongoing profits than it is in facing up to its mistakes and making good to its loyal customers. I believe I have been patient. I do not intend to continue sitting back and waiting for Canon to do the right thing.

I demand that you immediately arrange for my camera to be replaced at no cost to me with a new Blue Dot camera with properly operating sub-mirror assembly. I look forward to your immediate response."

I received no response to this e-mail, nor have I been contacted about scheduling the repair other than receiving the canned e-mail everyone received last week.

If Ron had not promised to "personally contact" me and failed to do so, I probably wouldn't have bothered with this post. But Canon promises ring hollow and I'm mad enough to go to the effort to make this public.

I'm sure the usual Canon fan-boys will be calling the a "cry baby" and all the other endearing names I was called when I complained in an earlier post about the way Canon has been handling this mess. I choose not to play in the sandlot, so I won't bother responding.

Needless to say, I'm not a news agency - just a consumer who has spent big bucks with Canon and (as with most other MK III owners) who, in my not-so-humble opinion, has not been treated very well by Canon.

-- hide signature --

Phil Tower

Curator Contributing Member • Posts: 868
Welcome to DPReview!

Thanks for taking the time to create a new account to give us this information. Hopefully you'll have lots to contribute in the future!

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 63,884
Re: With all due respect (I'm ...

J A K wrote:

not trying to start an argument here) I'd like to know if you have
data to back up your statement (4) below; if you do, great, I'd love
to know the source.

Very fair question, and you've caught me out. It's a statement that I've seen made many times, I've just checked several of them and none of them has cited their sources, so it must be counted as an opinion (albeit received) rather than a fact.

It isn't a big deal at all and I have no data to
back up what is merely an opinion on my part, but I would have bet
the VAST majority of 1DmkIII users are serious amateurs, not working
pros associated with the news services.

Yes, now you say it, it's interesting to speculate what the market share actually is. The spec of the camera is clearly driven by the requirements of working pros (anyone with another job simply will not get close to wearing out the shutter, or anything else). However, I think the market drivers are still the same - the market is shaped by the pro's. There must be very few amateurs that would not be as well or better served by a 40D or 5D, but, if your speculation is right, there are many who simply want the best, which means the same camera as the pro's use (you simply have to looka t the way the word 'professional' is used by marketing men). If the same camera as the pro's use is a Nikon, Canon lose a large slice of their market.

Anyway, thanks in advance
for your reply; I would really appreciate knowing what the right
answer is regardless of "what" the answer is.

Yes, I'd like to know too. I suspect that Canon (and for that matter Nikon) keep these figures quite secret.

-- hide signature --

Bob

O.Olsson Contributing Member • Posts: 896
Why should they if they can fix the camera?

If you have an problem with you car that is made buy them (like problem with the brake, oil problem that could harm the engine etc) the car manufactor take in the car and fix it. They don't give you a new one.

-- hide signature --

O.Olsson

DavidPisback Senior Member • Posts: 1,218
That's good news!

That means fewer cameras in front of mine to be repaired!

Rich Claypole Senior Member • Posts: 1,031
Re: With all due respect (I'm ...

What you must remember is the camera is aimed at photo journalists. Yes lots of "Amateurs" own the camera and will own one. When you start to talk about news agencies each employee with have 2-4 of these bodies. Check out an agency like Getty with thousands of togs globally, multiply that by 2 to 4 times (maybe more) and you have a serious customer!

Now multiply that out around all the big agencies globally, then local / smaller use i.e. regional image agencies, then in house togs for local and national papers. Then factor in all the freelancers etc all having 2-4 bodies and it's a hell of a lot.

What you may find is there are more "Amateur" users of the camera, but due to the number of bodies photo journalists have then the professional market is probably significantly larger in terms of the number of bodies.

Just my thoughts, not based on anything other than observing professionals from large agencies sat next to me on the touchline each week.

-- hide signature --

Rich Claypole
English Premiership Photographer with Reading FC

dnelms Regular Member • Posts: 164
Re: Why should they if they can fix the camera?

There are lemon laws in almost every state that would require the car manufacturer to replace the car in a similar situation.
dnelms

Leon Wittwer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,444
Your mistake was...

in demanding anything. While I sympathize with your situation, you are in no position to demand anything. It is usually unproductive to potentially antagonize someone from whom you want something.
--
Leon
http://homepage.mac.com/leonwittwer/landscapes.htm

Leon Wittwer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,444
Not really....

Most lemon laws do not require a replacement until there have been attempts to repair the vehicle and the problems still are there.
--
Leon
http://homepage.mac.com/leonwittwer/landscapes.htm

Phil Tower Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: Your mistake was...

Leon Wittwer wrote:

in demanding anything. While I sympathize with your situation, you
are in no position to demand anything. It is usually unproductive to
potentially antagonize someone from whom you want something.

I was under no illusion that Canon would actually replace my MK III - I'm a mere speck in the universe as far as they are concerned. I merely wanted to express my displeasure in a strong manner.

I've been practicing law for 28 years. I know when to demand and when to request.

But regardless of whether or not I was inappropriately "demanding", I at least expected a response. But I didn't even get that.
--
Phil Tower

J A K Forum Pro • Posts: 15,833
Bob and Rich, thanks for your inputs. (NT)

"NT" means no text.

Joe Kurkjian, Pbase Supporter

SEARCHING FOR A BETTER SELF PORTRAIT

Seth Honeyman Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: Your mistake was...

I know its hard, but you should wait and see what happens. Canon had a similar problem with the introduction of the 24-105L last year. I was one of the early owners, and mine had the problem (really erratic flaring). I was told to send it in for repair. Lo and behold, I got back a REPLACEMENT - different serial number. Canon just went ahead and did it. I believe they just made the call that it was more expensive to repair, all things considered, than to replace.
--
Regards - Seth

Seth Honeyman's gear list:Seth Honeyman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-Pro2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads