Two weeks with my E-3, and couldn't be happier . . . .

Started Dec 1, 2007 | Discussions
Julian Price Junior Member • Posts: 32
Two weeks with my E-3, and couldn't be happier . . . .

I Love It!!!

I have been a die-hard Canon user for about 35 years (also Nikon and Leica film cameras). Several months ago, I bought an Olympus E-1 on a "real deal" from Olympus on E-bay which really made me re-think my equipment choices. Something about the E-1 that just set it apart from the Canons I was currently using (a 5D & a 30D).

The remarkable colors - the incredible sharpness of the Zuiko lenses - the precision machine solidity of the camera bodies - made me quickly decide that when the new "pro" Olympus camera came out, I had to have one.

I guess I lucked out and got the very first one that KEH in Atlanta got in. My very own E-3.

The camera is terrific. I'm just like a kid again. I sit, just playing with the thing - marveling at the rugged, solid feel - makes the Canon 5D seem, somehow, toy-like.

Taking pictures with the E-3 is a real joy.

For a "pro" grade camera to have a pop-up flash, to me, really makes sense. It allows you to go out with a camera around your neck, and nothing else, and just take pictures - especially with the extremely useful 12-60 lens. The pop-up flash gives you a very good fill flash feature when you need it, and hides on top of the penta-prism when you don't. (now if only Olympus had a "bounce" pop-up like the Leica Digilux 2 & 3 cameras have)

Along with the camera, I was able to get the new 12-60 Lens - and honestly, the combination of the E-3 and this wonderful lens just puts the Canon 5D to shame.

I have now sold the 5D, along with several of the lenses I had accumulated.

Before I sold the Canon, I compared the two cameras - the Olympus with the 12-60 and the 5D with my 24-105 f-4 L lens. Not a high tech, perfectly controlled test, mind you, just walking around with the two cameras and taking pictures of the same subjects and same scenes at the same time. I took around 100 pictures with each camera, downloaded them into Adobe Lightroom and compared the results.

All pictures were taken in RAW and were compared with no manipulation.

Many of the pictures were so close that it was really hard to judge a real winner - but - overall - the results from the Olympus E-3 were just more pleasing. Actually they seemed sharper, more three dimensional - similar to what I used to experience with various Leica film cameras that I used prior to switching to digital. Sharp as a tack and wonderful color balance.

I love the colors from the olympus, I love the feel of the camera, I love the 12-60 lens - it is lighter - smaller - slightly faster than the f-4 Canon.

The 5D looks and feels just like the D-30, D-60, 10D, 20D, 30D and 40D cameras - a great camera, but not very rugged feeling.

The Olympus E-3 looks and feels like a precision machine - reminds me of those well loved and missed Leicas of yesteryear.

For the time being, I have kept another Canon - a 30D with a couple of "L" lenses "just in case", but I truly feel that I'll soon move to Olympus "all the way"

I've ordered a 50-200 Olympus lens and a FL50 flash and I think I'll really enjoy the E-3 with those additional items. They are due in on Monday. I think I'll also get a 50 macro soon.

Wish me luck.

I think I have made the right choice, and I'm not looking back.

Good bye Canon.

Julian

Julian Price's gear list:Julian Price's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Fujifilm X-E2
jfinite Veteran Member • Posts: 8,100
Re: Two weeks with my E-3, and couldn't be happier . . . .

Hello sir. You are not allowed to post such gushing in this forum without posting some pics for us to oogle. Just kidding...mostly. Seriously...you do have some pics for us, right?
--

http://www.pbase.com/jfinite

jfinite's gear list:jfinite's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 21,154
That's nice to hear...

When you first pick up the E-1 - despite it's "oldness" (if that's even a word), there is just something about the entire package that makes you realize it's special. IQ-wise, it is second to none (color). I've not picked up the E-3 yet - but will do so, probably in early Spring. I'm just so saturated with gear right now that it's best to hold off. But it is nice to hear about comparisons from previous other brand owners. So welcome aboard and obviously, we'll love to see some of your image examples.

-- hide signature --

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Canon EOS M6 +4 more
Dave Knadler
Dave Knadler Senior Member • Posts: 2,117
Oly marketing

... has got to love stories like that. Really, I think we're at a point now where objective comparisons of image quality are secondary to subjective judgments like "feel" and handling. Glad you like the E3. I may yet get one, but probably not for a few months.

Dave Knadler's gear list:Dave Knadler's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M5 II +4 more
OP Julian Price Junior Member • Posts: 32
Off for the weekend without my hard drive . . .

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I am away from my "photo" computer and don't have my pictures with me - plus I need to learn how to upload my pix to this site. (any hints? what size? what format?)

I'll upload some pictures first of the week.

Julian

BubbaE1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,199
Re: Off for the weekend without my hard drive . . .

Julian,

You are exactly the person I want to talk to. I am intrigued by the 5D, probably more so the full frame. It's interesting to hear you say the pics from the E-3 seem more 3D. All you hear on the Canon forum is how great the 5D pics are. Could you shed some more light on the comparisons between the E-3 and 5D? I would greatly appreciate it...thanks! And welcome to the Oly camp!
--
Justin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinger

BubbaE1's gear list:BubbaE1's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Brian Mosley Forum Pro • Posts: 20,741
Congratulations Julian,

I've never shot with Canon (I migrated to Olympus from the Nikon D1/D1x)... but it's reassuring to read that you have had a similar experience to me.

I've been out this morning, scouting York in preparation for our Photo Safari next weekend, and the E-3 + 12-60mm lens combination is all I needed...

Kind Regards

Brian
--
E-3 Impressions by real users in the field... updated! now with full RAW files.
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e_3ult.html

Come along for a free training day with the Olympus E-3 in York, UK Sat 8th Dec.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=25677397

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Olympus E-M1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 +2 more
bobmax Veteran Member • Posts: 6,380
Great news! My 30D and D200 are...

Heading for a trade in on an E-3 this coming Monday. Glad to hear the color and IQ compare well w/the 5D. I've always "personally" loved images from that body.

Congrats on the new "toy/tool"!

Bob
--
BobMax

jfinite Veteran Member • Posts: 8,100
Re: Off for the weekend without my hard drive . . .

Use an upload site like pbase, flickr or zenfolio, then link to your pics here. Full instructions in the help page on this site.
--

http://www.pbase.com/jfinite

jfinite's gear list:jfinite's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
Rastus Senior Member • Posts: 2,367

Care to tell me how the LCD does in outdoor sunlight??

thanks

Allan
--
http://rastus.smugmug.com/

2005magnum Veteran Member • Posts: 4,473

I had a very similar experience. I have had all Canon equipment for many years with a side trip to Sony. My wife bought me the E500 and although not a perfect camera, I fell in love with the ease of handling and the colors. I bought the E3 and after a brief trial, had to give it to my wife for my Xmas present. I cannot wait until 12/25. I am impressed with the build and image quality and cannot help but feel that I have a camera that Leica would have built. I would not be surprised if Leica comes out with their own version of the E3.
--
http://www.zenfolio.com/digitalphotonut

Twiddle D Dum Veteran Member • Posts: 3,564
Hey . . . . a "non-troll" !!!

Welcome aboard, Julian. We're glad that you're "kid-like" again !! Actually, you are experiencing many of the emotions we, as OLY users, experience often.

If you haven't already, you'll find that there are a number of worthy posters on this forum to add even more "good feelings" with their C&C.

Paul
Vancouver, WA . . . (USA)

galleries at:
http://www.pbase.com/spdavis/just_between_us_

jungl Contributing Member • Posts: 519
Thanks

Been so much negativity and bickering that I've been thinking about not reading this forum anymore so thanks for the positive report

-- hide signature --

http://blog.thomaslaupstad.com - Photoblog from northern Norway

Pete_CSCS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,617
Olympus should send you a $100 gift certificate...

...after a post like that!

Julian Price wrote:

I Love It!!!

The camera is terrific. I'm just like a kid again. I sit, just
playing with the thing - marveling at the rugged, solid feel - makes
the Canon 5D seem, somehow, toy-like.

Along with the camera, I was able to get the new 12-60 Lens - and honestly,
the combination of the E-3 and this wonderful lens just puts the Canon 5D to
shame.

I have now sold the 5D, along with several of the lenses I had accumulated..

Good bye Canon.

If this thread goes HOT and the Canon guys see it, get ready for a war.

I'm happy for you. Enjoy your new toy.

-- hide signature --

Stay Well,
Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +8 more
Brian Mosley Forum Pro • Posts: 20,741
Pete, I'll bet you £100 this thread doesn't go hot...

Far too positive! lol

Kind Regards

Brian
--
E-3 Impressions by real users in the field... updated! now with full RAW files.
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e_3ult.html

Come along for a free training day with the Olympus E-3 in York, UK Sat 8th Dec.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=25677397

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Olympus E-M1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 +2 more
Pete_CSCS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,617
Brian is this the same camera...

...that all the trolls here the last few weeks hated?
Something is amiss.

-- hide signature --

Stay Well,
Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +8 more
Druta Junior Member • Posts: 37
Thanks

for the positive post here. I will do my part to make this thread hot.

-- hide signature --

Please excuse my bad english, my german is much better !

dgrogers Veteran Member • Posts: 7,243
You may be perfectly aware of this, but....

Did you order the new 50-200? It will have much better focussing speed than the old one and may have better brokeh.

Also, did you get the FL-50 or FL-50R?

Just curious, but (especially with the 50-200) the newer equipment has advantages.

Julian Price wrote:

I've ordered a 50-200 Olympus lens and a FL50 flash and I think I'll
really enjoy the E-3 with those additional items. They are due in on
Monday. I think I'll also get a 50 macro soon.

-- hide signature --
 dgrogers's gear list:dgrogers's gear list
Olympus E-1 Samsung NX20 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +4 more
speedyK Regular Member • Posts: 144

Julian Price wrote:
()

()

Along with the camera, I was able to get the new 12-60 Lens - and
honestly, the combination of the E-3 and this wonderful lens just
puts the Canon 5D to shame.

I have now sold the 5D

What can I say? Wow! I've been resisting the 5D and waiting for its successor, but the E-3 has had me very tempted. I think you've just convinced me. Great to read such an enthusiastic report from an ex 5D user. Look forward to seeing some of your pics.

speedyK's gear list:speedyK's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony a7R II Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +10 more
OP Julian Price Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: You may be perfectly aware of this, but....

DRogers asked. . . . .

Did you order the new 50-200? It will have much better focussing speed than the old one and may have better brokeh.

Also, did you get the FL-50 or FL-50R?

Just curious, but (especially with the 50-200) the newer equipment has advantages.

I did a lot of reading on the new version vs the old and decided to buy a "like new" 50-200 (old version) for less than $500 (US). Apparently the new lens will not be available until after the first of the year and will probably not be available at significent discount for some time.

My shooting is not particularly demanding and the difference in focusing speeds will probably not ever be important to me. If I'm wrong - - - I can probably sell the older version at minimum loss and get the new one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads