Warning: DxO Optics Pro Version 5 Uses Pace Interlok

Started Nov 28, 2007 | Discussions
subdoodle Senior Member • Posts: 1,310
Warning: DxO Optics Pro Version 5 Uses Pace Interlok

For Antipiracy protection. It operates under or beside your operating system and can lead to MAC and PC problems. Look what others have experienced with interlok:

http://www.prorec.com/Articles/tabid/109/EntryID/134/Default.aspx

DXO uses it on the demos too. So demoing the program leads to software being installed outside of your operating system. So be very careful. I have experienced other programs being disabled along with various other PC issues including email issues since attempting to use DXO V5. Do not clean your registry for example. That is considered a piracy event and damage occurs. Interlok can reboot your machine at any time. Try googling wave and pace interlok or other searches on this subject.

This post / thread may be deleted by others. Other DxO products may also be using pace interlok.

Geir Ove Veteran Member • Posts: 3,098
Thanks for sharing - DXO no more for me ! (nt)
-- hide signature --
 Geir Ove's gear list:Geir Ove's gear list
Huawei P20 Pro
DigitalMaven Senior Member • Posts: 1,908
I de-installed my copy of DXO several months ago ...

because of the Pace anti-piracy software. I will not use another DXO
product so long as they include the Pace software as a required component
for the installation and operation of their products.

-- hide signature --

When a hammer is your only tool, all problems begin to look like nails.

Geir Ove Veteran Member • Posts: 3,098
Re: How did you get rid of Pace Interlok?
-- hide signature --
 Geir Ove's gear list:Geir Ove's gear list
Huawei P20 Pro
Joe0Bloggs Veteran Member • Posts: 5,391
It will be cracked and

The cracked version is the only version anyone should use on their own computer, regardless of whether you have a legit copy or not.

Situation normal in a screwed up software industry...

Update: looking at impressions posted here,

I'm not sure anyone will bother cracking it.

mermoz Regular Member • Posts: 291
Re: Update: looking at impressions posted here,

Joe0Bloggs wrote:

I'm not sure anyone will bother cracking it.

IQ wise, v5 is the best version so far

foot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,093
Re: Warning: DxO Optics Pro Version 5 Uses Pace Interlok

subdoodle-

thanks for pointing this out

subdoodle wrote:

Do not clean your registry for example. That is
considered a piracy event and damage occurs.

"damage occurs" ??? delibertly causing damage => lawsuits

foot's gear list:foot's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro
aimpic Contributing Member • Posts: 706
DxO & copy protection

I have not as yet been advised by dxo of an upgrade.

I use 4.5 & have used all versions previously.

They have always had copy protection.

With the information I have to hand, it has been no problem, but I know most people do not set up a machine well and it probably works well below optimum anyway.

I'm going to try when the new upgrade becomes available to me.

-- hide signature --

Peter

Persuasive Marketing Systems -
inc Copywriting, Design & Photography

OP subdoodle Senior Member • Posts: 1,310
Re: DxO & copy protection

But DxO has not always used pace interlok. It causes side effects at times. For example it (or other DxO V5 surprises) took out my Nikon Transfer which now crashes and cannot yet be reinstalled successfully. You can remove interlock from your PC by reformatting. I don't know for sure but supposedly interlok is on DxO v 4.5.1 too. I don't know when they went to interlok. I bought this software and can understand the need for copy protection but this is harmful and cuts sales - I am paying the price for those who hack?. If interlok is well set up it can probably work transparent to the end user I would guess. I do not like the idea of it taking over my pc tho. I have a mess to clean up and am still waiting for my REFUND. DxO V5 was released prematurely and is causing install and stability issues...on top of the program running slow and being 80-90% completed but being sold and represented as 100%.

This is from dpreview retouching forum 3 weeks ago:

"...The problem is: their [DxO] download manager sucks, it stalls. I had to try and download it several times before having the complete download, and even then it "forgot" to move the modules to the right place (I moved the files to the right place manually, LUDICROUS).

Then, they [DxO] use a vicious DRM scheme for copy protection, that installs an extension on your computer, effectively patching the kernel and in some cases introducing instability. It is - from a technological point of view, no different than SONY's rootkit - it is NOT removed upon deinstallation of the software, and writes all over your disk to make your life difficult in case you really want to eradicate it from your drive. Thank god OS X allows you to monitor File system events and therefore I can keep track of what it does, but on windows the usual solution is "back up your data and reformat". Great. As usual, these technologies just sc* w the honest, paying people, I am sure that motivated hackers could break their scheme. A lot of honest customers have been unable to use the software they paid because of glitches in the criminal PACE Interlok system. In a better world, the developers of this copy protection technology should be outlawed, hung, burnt at a stake, their properties confiscated, all the copies of their software including the source code throws into a black hole foor good...."

RobertoAvanzi Senior Member • Posts: 1,003

subdoodle wrote:

But DxO has not always used pace interlok. It causes side effects

[...]

This is from dpreview retouching forum 3 weeks ago:

"...The problem is: their [DxO] download manager sucks, it stalls.
[...]
Then, they [DxO] use a vicious DRM scheme for copy protection, that
installs an extension on your computer, effectively patching the

[...]

system. In a better world, the developers of this copy protection
technology should be outlawed, hung, burnt at a stake, their

[...]

Wow. I forgot I have been so virulent. But, yes, even though I would write the same concepts only mildly a bit more politely, the fact is, I still stand by my words. Coding is sloppy (on the UI and stability side), and the copy protection method is criminal (because it just damages the honest work of the honest, paying customer, and it is the pirate that enjoys a more stable and reliable system).

best
Roberto

RobertoAvanzi's gear list:RobertoAvanzi's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +2 more

Well, the honest customer need not penalize himself so. As I said, just get the pirate copy and leave the legit one on your shelf... IF you think these losers still deserve your money...

RobertoAvanzi wrote:

Wow. I forgot I have been so virulent. But, yes, even though I would
write the same concepts only mildly a bit more politely, the fact is,
I still stand by my words. Coding is sloppy (on the UI and stability
side), and the copy protection method is criminal (because it just
damages the honest work of the honest, paying customer, and it is the
pirate that enjoys a more stable and reliable system).

best
Roberto

MarcV
MarcV Veteran Member • Posts: 3,995

A good idea might be to use Microsoft Virtual PC and run DxO (or Nikon Capture, which also uses Pace Anti Piracy) in there, so it cannot touch your physical system...

Joe0Bloggs wrote:
Well, the honest customer need not penalize himself so. As I said,
just get the pirate copy and leave the legit one on your shelf... IF
you think these losers still deserve your money...

RobertoAvanzi wrote:

Wow. I forgot I have been so virulent. But, yes, even though I would
write the same concepts only mildly a bit more politely, the fact is,
I still stand by my words. Coding is sloppy (on the UI and stability
side), and the copy protection method is criminal (because it just
damages the honest work of the honest, paying customer, and it is the
pirate that enjoys a more stable and reliable system).

best
Roberto

-- hide signature --

Marc Vandenhende

MarcV's gear list:MarcV's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
delenca Regular Member • Posts: 338
et tu subdoodle?!

Wow, now even subdoodle is warning us about DXO 5! He has been one of the few, nay, the ONLY, person defending the "product" since it was released. So much so that I frankly started thinking he might be a company stooge. Sorry, cynicism is par for the course in today's world... .

But now I find that even subdoodle is telling us to run from this disaster of a program. Even the demo installs interlock ?! Unbelievable. I am so happy I never let this program anywhere near my computer. Not with a 10-foot pole.

It's one thing to charge costumers for it seems to be basically alpha version. Then, another to tell customers, in its only official response to the outcry, that in essence "this release is just as buggy as our other early releases" Note, the response was not "we apologize for the unexpected bugs that have been encountered and we are working hard to fix them". It was "we knew it had bugs, but we released it and charged you all the same to be our beta testers"!. The final straw is that even the demo has the potential to damage other components of your system. shame on you DXO. This is a PR disaster for the company and I wonder how they will recover from it.

-Alex

Robert Hoffman
Robert Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 2,730
Re: et tu subdoodle?!

delenca wrote:

Wow, now even subdoodle is warning us about DXO 5! He has been one of
the few, nay, the ONLY, person defending the "product" since it was
released. So much so that I frankly started thinking he might be a
company stooge. Sorry, cynicism is par for the course in today's
world... .

Just what we need: another corporate pig like Sony.

-- hide signature --

'Don't sneak up on it - surround it'

OP subdoodle Senior Member • Posts: 1,310
Hey I seek Truth Man...And This Thing Is A Mess

I hope you understand that my change in POV was a difficult one. I have used, advocated, and recomnended it since it came out in 2004.

I was able to get it to run in a limited fashion with a tolerant attitude toward DxO due to the past good results. And disbelief that it could be this far off. But I ran into so many errors and crashes that I HAD TO change this view, and then it would not run at all no matter what. They even have people downloading .net fixers and c++ libraries...come on! This despite early adopters like me being forced to PAY for the upgrade to V5 as though I was a new customer with a discount. I had updated for free in the past. Yeah I PAID to have my computer messed up by DxO, lesson learned.

After all this....to discover that they use perhaps the most aggravating copy protection ever made....that is the last straw for me. I am also in my 3rd day of waiting for my REFUND. I have no idea when they will get the program to run. If it does run then there are speed and useability issues and features that just don't work. This program was sent to market when some suit said "ship it" over the objections of the developers, I am sure.

The pace interlok copy protection punishes folks like me who PAY for products and services in their life. You cannot get it off of your PC. And it causes side effects of all sorts. Just google it. Wave software (studio audio) has it and it can get much worse than DxO. Your work gets held hostage.

It is my hope that they straighten out the mess as the math behind DxO is good. The customer service and programming results are not.

linear Contributing Member • Posts: 572
Ignoring DxO from now on.

I was waiting for DxO to support my camera.
Now I will avoid it until they get rid of such garbage.

newe
newe Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Crummy Software Anyway.....

I never thought anything much of it...and now this type of nonsense comes up.

This is why everyone should get vmware to test stuff out on...Dx0 will loose sales...not suer they care though

Busterman Regular Member • Posts: 234
Re: Warning: DxO Optics Pro Version 5 Uses Pace Interlok - bad design

I had many problems with DXO software for this very reason. Only after several emails did they admit that the anti-piracy software was causing problems.

It took DXO a long time to understand the terms of their own license agreement which allows for a single license of the the software to be used on two computers (pc and laptop) as long as this is not done at the same time. Only when they actually allowed me to correspond with one of their excellent software developers were the issues almost fully resolved.

Having told them in detail something they would not admit to, they asked me to become a beta tester for future software releases which I refused to do because they would not accept responsibility if they damaged my pc. I solved the problems with other software conflicts (particularly Nikon software) caused by downloading DXO by using the very excellent System Mechanic 7.

DXO advised me to shut down my Firewall and Antivirus program whilst downloading their software. I refused to do this as they would take no responsibility for any damage to my pc if it was attacked from the web whilst downloading DXO.

Doubtless DXO is excellent software for batch processing and fast workflow (in that it happilychunks away in the background whilst you get on with other things) but because of the problems I had with it and the incredibly arrogant attitude I ecountered from DXO I use it very rarely now and would not consider upgrading.
--
Busterman
http://www.pbase.com/busterman2006

John W Peterson Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
Disasterous

I would avoid this like the plague ! This is a real tragedy for what was probably a great piece of software - before the copy-protection guys got their hand on it and turned it into malware.

We should start a list of all software that has interlok on it. Is anyone aware of other programs that use interlok ?

My understanding is that the only way to reliably use software such as this, is to dedicate an entire PC, just to the one application. Not something that I'm interested in.
Thanks for the warning.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads