"Jumping claps" of 18-200 VR

Started Nov 24, 2007 | Discussions
mike blacksmith Regular Member • Posts: 323
"Jumping claps" of 18-200 VR

Hi,

Every time when I turn D50 camera on - viewfinder' s "picture" jumps 3-5 times up and down with a quite pronounced sound of "clapping" felt in 18-200 VR lens.
Did anyone have the same issue? What is the reason of these "jumping claps"?
Regards, Mike

mironv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,778
Re: "Jumping claps" of 18-200 VR
-- hide signature --

Well thats a sign of global worming thats for sure or sign that somebody did not read owners manual.
Mironv
http://mironv.smugmug.com/

 mironv's gear list:mironv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +10 more
OP mike blacksmith Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: "Jumping claps" of 18-200 VR

Mironv wrote:

Dera Mironv,

What part of owners manual do you suggest to read?

For you information - I have this lens for more than a year and a half and it NEVER had this issue before.

Thanks for you very helpful advice.
Mike

mironv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,778
Re: "Jumping claps" of 18-200 VR

mike blacksmith wrote:

Hi,
Every time when I turn D50 camera on - viewfinder' s "picture" jumps
3-5 times up and down with a quite pronounced sound of "clapping"
felt in 18-200 VR lens.
Did anyone have the same issue? What is the reason of these "jumping
claps"?
Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Thats a normal VR lens thing you just did not notice it and go back read about in a lens manual.
Mironv
http://mironv.smugmug.com/

 mironv's gear list:mironv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +10 more
OP mike blacksmith Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re:

Sorry, nothing in the manual on this issue.

Manual does mention that the picture might become blurry when pressing the shutter. And that the clacking noise might appear when the camera turned OFF while the VR still works.

But NOTHING on the issue that "jumping pictures and loud claps" are normal when one turns camera ON.
Regards,

Mironv wrote:

mike blacksmith wrote:

Hi,
Every time when I turn D50 camera on - viewfinder' s "picture" jumps
3-5 times up and down with a quite pronounced sound of "clapping"
felt in 18-200 VR lens.
Did anyone have the same issue? What is the reason of these "jumping
claps"?
Regards, Mike

monte12345 Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Notes on using vibration Reduction.

Do not turn the camera off, or remove the lens, while the vibration mode is in operation, otherwise the lens may emit a chattering noise if the camera is shaken. This is normal, turn the camera on to correct this. That is from the manual for my 70-300 VR.

As I understand it, VR lenses "park" the moving elements with some type of locking mechanism when the VR isn't active. Meaning after the meter readout times out. Perhaps you are turning your camera off while the meter is still active and this doesn't allow the moving elements to be properly parked. So, when you turn on your camera the first thing the lens does is attempt to re-center the moving elements from whatever position they happen to be in.

Here is what I would suggest that you try. First, wait and watch to make sure the meter display has gone out before turning the camera off and see if this solves the problem. Second, try turning the VR off BEFORE you turn the camera off. If either of these solves your problem you know what to do in the future. If it doesn't, then you may want to show your local dealer what it's doing.

OP mike blacksmith Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: Notes on using vibration Reduction.

monte12345 wrote:

Here is what I would suggest that you try. First, wait and watch to
make sure the meter display has gone out before turning the camera
off and see if this solves the problem. Second, try turning the VR
off BEFORE you turn the camera off. If either of these solves your
problem you know what to do in the future. If it doesn't, then you
may want to show your local dealer what it's doing.

Thanks monte12345,

I did everything you suggested - no positive results.
It is better, I think, to call Nikon service (I have 5 years warranty).
regards, Mike

BasicNeeds New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Notes on using vibration Reduction.

same problem happened to my Nikkor 18-200mm too.

Sent back the lense for RMA, returned "changed VR component", then in less than 2 months, another problem, the lense have intermittent difficulty to retract from 200mm once done focusing at short distance (0.5m to 1.0m range), the retraction basically jammed after that, and need a few retries before it can retract from 200mm towards 18mm.

that's not it, i sent email to Nikon due to the too-frequent RMA the unit has, and they failed to even response to my email after 3 weeks!

i can say i'm Not too happy with their service, certainly not with such level of service and quality i'm expecting from a lense of this price range.

my advice, do your RMA asap, there are for sure some loosing parts inside that constitute to the noise u heard (hey, I know the different between the sound when VR is at work, and when something go wrong in the lense) , won't want the loosing elements to hurt any of the in-lense gearing, now would u?

monte12345 Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Sounds like it does need service.

That's one problem with these darn new fangled gizmo's, too durn many things to go wrong. Which reminds me, I have got to get the warranty papers off for my new 70-300 VR.

Good luck with the repairs, hopefully they will get it back to you before Christmas. The timing stinks, however I wouldn't try putting off sending it out because what you are describing sounds as if the lens is trying to beat itself apart and delaying fixing it may just cause more damage, which Nikon may call abuse. If you need an emergency lens for the holiday, get the 50mm f1.8, it's cheap, fast, very sharp, and everyone should have one in their kit.

OP mike blacksmith Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: Notes on using vibration Reduction.

BasicNeeds wrote:

same problem happened to my Nikkor 18-200mm too.
Sent back the lense for RMA, returned "changed VR component", then in
less than 2 months, another problem, the lense have intermittent
difficulty to retract from 200mm once done focusing at short distance
(0.5m to 1.0m range), the retraction basically jammed after that, and
need a few retries before it can retract from 200mm towards 18mm.

that's not it, i sent email to Nikon due to the too-frequent RMA the
unit has, and they failed to even response to my email after 3 weeks!
i can say i'm Not too happy with their service, certainly not with
such level of service and quality i'm expecting from a lense of this
price range.

my advice, do your RMA asap, there are for sure some loosing parts
inside that constitute to the noise u heard (hey, I know the
different between the sound when VR is at work, and when something go
wrong in the lense) , won't want the loosing elements to hurt any of
the in-lense gearing, now would u?

Thank you BasicNeeds,

Sorry you had the same problem.

I accepted my 18-200 NEW "jumping claps" issue with laugh as I kept sending first copy of 18-200 to Nikon service for 3 times. They were not able to fix it and replaced the lens. This - second copy - went to Nikon service only once and served me well for awhile till the moment the camera started to express its wish to "jump out" of my hands every time I turned it on - it acted like a real violant beast at those moments :-).

As soon as I have quite a long "relation" with Nikon service I hope Nikon will take it into consideration and will return my well serviced lens before Christmas :-).

regards, Mike

DamirM Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: Notes on using vibration Reduction.

Stories like this make me not want to get on the VR bandwagon. I have a 70-300 ED which I like, but I'm constantly tempted to trade up for a 70-300VR. The VR is a slightly slower lens on the wide end (4.5 vs. 4 on my ED), so that's a bit of a putoff (though I know it's not really a big deal, they're both pretty slow lenses). And though I also know that the VR problems posted on internet boards are exceptions to the rule, having such a complex mechanism on the lens has to mean at the very least that VR lenses are more fragile.

OP mike blacksmith Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: Sounds like it does need service.

monte12345 wrote:

That's one problem with these darn new fangled gizmo's, too durn many
things to go wrong.

You are so right!

Good luck with the repairs, hopefully they will get it back to you
before Christmas. The timing stinks, however I wouldn't try putting
off sending it out because what you are describing sounds as if the
lens is trying to beat itself apart and delaying fixing it may just
cause more damage, which Nikon may call abuse. If you need an
emergency lens for the holiday, get the 50mm f1.8, it's cheap, fast,
very sharp, and everyone should have one in their kit.

I have some more lens to survive Christmas - they are non VR, thanks God. Among them is Sigma 50-150 f.2.8, which is great in my opinion.
Regards,

OP mike blacksmith Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: Notes on using vibration Reduction.

DamirM wrote:

Stories like this make me not want to get on the VR bandwagon. I have
a 70-300 ED which I like, but I'm constantly tempted to trade up for
a 70-300VR. The VR is a slightly slower lens on the wide end (4.5 vs.
4 on my ED), so that's a bit of a putoff (though I know it's not
really a big deal, they're both pretty slow lenses). And though I
also know that the VR problems posted on internet boards are
exceptions to the rule, having such a complex mechanism on the lens
has to mean at the very least that VR lenses are more fragile.

WHY did I forget my parents used to say : the simpler - the better?

Though at those times we were not able even to imagine that digital cameras would exist, followed by VR systems...
...Is this VR trend somehow contagious for us, boys who want new toys?

I have already jumped in that VR bandwagon with 18-200VR and started to have my own bad experience that VR lens, besides being expensive, are very complex and more fragile and...5 years warranty is a must to keep them working.

Maybe it is good time for me to remember my parents precious advice and to close tightly the doors for VR infection...and stay with the lens I have ? ..not drooling for new and "better" VRs
regards,

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads