FZ18 Accessories Questions

Started Nov 22, 2007 | Discussions
Jeffbhhs Junior Member • Posts: 34
FZ18 Accessories Questions

Hello everyone, I just picked up the FZ18 and I am looking for some opinions on the best accessories to purchase other than batteries and memory cards. I guess I would be looking for filters or other extra things. Thanks

zzyzx80 New Member • Posts: 16
Re: FZ18 Accessories Questions

my thought is that a tripod and a good bag offering protection is a must. as for filters wise, get a UV filter if you wish to protect your lens

Dick Stevens Senior Member • Posts: 1,060

A 46mm UV filter, and a 46mm Polarizer filter (either linear or circular will do).

A little table-top tripod - handy for traveling.

I carry 2 spare batteries, and 4 spare 2GB cards.

Dick Stevens, FZ18, TZ3, and assorted FZ's

Joanne Senior Member • Posts: 1,123

I have a 46mm UV filter and 2 spare batteries, as well as several 1gb and 2gb SD cards. I prefer the higher speed cards (80x or higher).

danbarry Senior Member • Posts: 1,484

I am waiting for delivery. I have a Canon TL55 1.4 for which I'll need the Pany DMW-LA3 adapter when it's available later this month. An extra battery from Hightech-usa on amazon for 9.44 .The Sony Cyber-shot bag, wrist cord and some 2 and 1gb cards I already have. I've ordered a Kingston 8gb cl4 SDHC from Meritline 39.99 AR.

Tom Murtaugh New Member • Posts: 15
What tele-converters will work on a FZ18?

My FZ 18 from Vann’s should arrive today, and am tingling with expectation. Have a battery already charged, from my sick FA 5.

Next on my wish-list, I would like to purchase a used tele-converter. I don’t mind a few dings and scratches on the housing so long as the optics are unimpaired, but I have no idea what makes and models will function of a FZ 18, so don’t know what to watch for on EBay.

Danbarry reported that his Canon TL55 1.4 will work, and John Reed has shown excellent pics taken with a Nikon TC-E17ED.

That’s a start.

How about it. Any suggestions?

OP Jeffbhhs Junior Member • Posts: 34

If I pick up any filter how does that attach to the camera? Like does it just clip onto the lens? If that is the case will it be able to retract when I power it down? thanks and sorry about all the questions

fmoore Veteran Member • Posts: 7,669
oly tcon17

The olympus tcon17 1.7x has been the most popular teleconverter for use with ultra zoom digicams, including the pany fz series. It has 55mm threads and will fit the 55mm dmw-la3 adapter, which you will need to purchase seperately. The la3 is only occassionally available on ebay at $40-50. Presumably, when panasonic gets around to stocking it, it will eventually be closer to $30. The tcon17 is ~$100. Adorama currently has a used E condition one for $64. I'd get that one and hope the la3 becomes readily available and cheaper.
--
Fred

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 10,830

Filters (UV, polarizer) are 46mm and screw onto lens.
Pretty much any UV filter will fit (primarily to protect the lens).

Polarizer should be "slim" - One posting said that Kenko 46mm polarizer obtainable from http://www.filterhouse.com does not vignette.

To mount a 55mm teleconverter, you need DMW-LA3. DMW-LA3 is apparently available now (6:40PM eastern, Nov 24) on ebay. They come and go - The only ones currently in the US came from Japan, or from Henry's in Canada. If you want one, might as well grab it when you can.

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
OP Jeffbhhs Junior Member • Posts: 34

Would a UV lens filter hurt indoor pictures? I am mainly looking for the filter to protect the lens all around indoor and outdoor... Would a clear filter be the best choice?

stevek183 Regular Member • Posts: 292

The adapter is also available from B&H photo.
--
Steve Karafin

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 10,830

No problem. UV filter won't hurt.
Sherm

Jeffbhhs wrote:

Would a UV lens filter hurt indoor pictures? I am mainly looking for
the filter to protect the lens all around indoor and outdoor... Would
a clear filter be the best choice?

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
used oly tcon17 at Adorama

Thanks for the tip, but it was gone by the time I logged on to Adorama. Maybe there will be another. In the meantime, my Fz 18 arrived yesterday and methinks I will be slogging along for a good while.

Tom Murtaugh: Slow-learner/Faster-fergetter

Jerry Robillard Forum Member • Posts: 94
DMW-LA3 adapter

Danberry,

I just got the DMW-LA3 adapter. I have changed my mind about adding the wide or tele attachment. If you want mine, I sell it for less than I paid for it ($47). I thought it was needed for filters. Dumb mistake! My FZ18 should be here on Monday.

Jerry Robillard's gear list:Jerry Robillard's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Re: DMW-LA3 adapter

Jerry:

I have a tcon17 on order. If Danberry declines your adapter, I will take it.

Tom Murtaugh
Slow learner/Faster fergetter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads