I love my E-1, but side by side with the E-3......

Started Nov 20, 2007 | Discussions
Rand47 Contributing Member • Posts: 769
I love my E-1, but side by side with the E-3......

I updated my firmware in the E-1 today. First time I'd picked it up since receiving my E-3 last week, and have not used it all that much since I go the E-510 a while ago.

I can't believe how much progress has been made in processing speed, write times, LCD size and clarity... all the "handling stuff." The E-1 moves at a glacial pace compared to the E-3. For very deliberate work, none of this matters, and I'll always love and use the E-1 for certain things... but wow, technology is really moving along.

Easy to be spoiled.

OCULUS NY Contributing Member • Posts: 536
Interesting...

Interesting comparison; can't wait to do it myself. And I can even throw in an old E-10 at work for a real antique.

Haven't done the E-1 update yet; anything really noticeable or just obscure glitch patching?
--
Ray Hull
OCULUS NY
'We nevah, evah do nuthin 'nice and easy'.' Tina Turner

R Stacy
R Stacy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,141
I dono if its my imagination...

... but my old and slow E-1 seems to focus faster in low light now.............. darn, I should have set up some before and after tests, but then I couldn't just think it is faster.

-- hide signature --

'The greatest joy there is in life is creating. Splurge on it!' LRH

R Stacy's gear list:R Stacy's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
nboyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,084
Re: Ahhh Yes, My Love...

...for the E-1 is eternal. Since the E-1, I have moved to the Nikon D80 and Panasonic L1. But when I do go back and pick up the E-1, it's almost magical - a certain Je Ne Sais Quoi. Sure, not as fast as my D80, not as many megapixels (which really is only important for critical enlargements beyond 8x10) but look at the richness in color tonality. Amazing, I simply do not see it in the E-3. I've seen a lot of E-3 samples posted, some are down right colorful, but there is no richness like the images from the E-1. It's a bit 'sterile' to me. Maybe my eyes are going bad, who knows. -Norm

Rand47 wrote:

I updated my firmware in the E-1 today. First time I'd picked it up
since receiving my E-3 last week, and have not used it all that much
since I go the E-510 a while ago.

I can't believe how much progress has been made in processing speed,
write times, LCD size and clarity... all the "handling stuff." The
E-1 moves at a glacial pace compared to the E-3. For very deliberate
work, none of this matters, and I'll always love and use the E-1 for
certain things... but wow, technology is really moving along.

Easy to be spoiled.

-- hide signature --

PBase supporter

nboyer's gear list:nboyer's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon Coolpix A Leica X (Typ 113) Fujifilm X100S Canon PowerShot G7 X +6 more
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 18,637
Nope - your eyes aren't going bad.....NT
-- hide signature --

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P330 Fujifilm X20 +45 more
digislr Veteran Member • Posts: 6,088
Same here

The E1 was magical. I have not seen ANY E3 samples yet that look great to me. The color and tonality of the E1 does not seem to be there. Maybe once the people who own one get out more with it. I don't know but to me, the E1 was a special camera, and still is. Some of my best ever shots were with that camera. I waited for the E3 but gave up a year ago. I now own Nikon mount and would switch if the E3 lived up to the hype. So far, for me it hasnt (only going by what I have seen so far) - so come on! Let's see some of those great Oly colors and magic. Post some more E3 shots!

DIM2 Contributing Member • Posts: 686
Re: Same here

I'm a new E-3 owner ( E-1 and before that E-10) and I'm thinking there's going to be a bit of a learning curve lag to everyone getting the best out of this new beast. Not only a new body with it's "sweet spots" to be discovered, but new lens ( 12-60) and then there's the matter of the new software for the RAW developments, upgrade to PS CS3, etc. It's a lot for me since I still have a day job, though those that know me would swear that all I do is garden, cook, play with my camera/images....and taste interesting Scotch.

What a life.

I hope to take a lot of shots this weekend with a lot of family in town for the holiday. Haven't tried any FL-50 flash shots, etc.

I think the best is yet to come though I too think there is something just downright magical about the E-1.

Happy Holidays

David M

Brian Mosley Forum Pro • Posts: 20,707
You're right, the E-1 is a classic...

Nothing can replace it, but the E-3 will be considered a worthy successor in due course... it will just take a little time for this to become accepted, common knowledge.

Olympus got it just about as right as they possibly could with the E-3, I'm just hoping they can keep the firmware team employed a little longer to add one or two nice additional features... like an IS mode for tripod use, and IS for legacy lenses.

There's nothing wrong with the E-3 colour tonality, and Dynamic Range is sorted - even noise performance is satisfactory, Olympus have done an incredible job with this sensor, imho.

Kind Regards

Brian
--
E-3 Impressions by real users in the field... updated! now with full RAW files.
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e_3ult.html

Apply now, for a free training day with the Olympus E-3 in the field!
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=25677397

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony RX1 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
klauser Regular Member • Posts: 476
maybe they are :)

Coming from the e-500 I expected no improvement in IQ but smoother and a more responsive process of taking images. After 10 shots (indoors, flash, available light) I am quite surprised how much better IQ seems. Tonality is superb in my eyes and richness of colors I guess is just a matter of tweaking the settings to ones liking.
Klaus

nboyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,084
Re: maybe they are :)

Hi Klaus. Can you post some of your images that you feel has better richness of colors? No doubt, the E-3 will have less noise and higher resolution. I'm not certain about the dynamic range or tonality. Perhaps, you can convince me and others otherwise with some samples of what you're claiming? -Norm

klauser wrote:

Coming from the e-500 I expected no improvement in IQ but smoother
and a more responsive process of taking images. After 10 shots
(indoors, flash, available light) I am quite surprised how much
better IQ seems. Tonality is superb in my eyes and richness of colors
I guess is just a matter of tweaking the settings to ones liking.
Klaus

PBase supporter

nboyer's gear list:nboyer's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon Coolpix A Leica X (Typ 113) Fujifilm X100S Canon PowerShot G7 X +6 more
klauser Regular Member • Posts: 476
I will once..

I will once I have something worthy of posting of something else than my kids.

Klaus

proque Forum Member • Posts: 54
Link to great E3 Shots

Re-posting here from another thread in this forum.

http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=483023

proque's gear list:proque's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
terdonal Veteran Member • Posts: 6,733
proque, nice link

I have seen some but not a lot of these images. Quite nice imo.
--
Terry
http://www.pbase.com/terdonal
dpreview supporter
pbase supporter
FourThirdsFAQ -> http://www.fourthirdsFAQ.com

stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,140
E1 owners are blind to anything but E1...

Not trying to argue here, but I'm going to take up for my newly purchased E3.

Come on now...the E1 was a nice camera and produced good images...but "magical?". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Let's not be so quick as to dismiss the E3 in favor of the E1. I think if you guys picked one up and started shooting with it you would change your mind in a hurry.

It blows the E1 out of the water in just about every category, including image quality. People have not even had the camera a week, give it a little time. You can set up a camera to look like anything you want. If you want the exact color of the E1 I'm sure it can be set to do that.

Olympus didn't spend 4 years developing an inferior product to the E1.

Brian Mosley Forum Pro • Posts: 20,707
I disagree,

Having both the E-1 and the E-3, I have huge respect for the E-1... it's not blind loyalty to the E-1 - there's more to it than that, I've tried long and hard to match the E-400 to the E-1, so I know how difficult it would be to match the colour tonality.

The E-3 had a tough act to follow, I think Olympus managed it, but only just!

Kind Regards

Brian
--
E-3 Impressions by real users in the field... updated! now with full RAW files.
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e_3ult.html

Apply now, for a free training day with the Olympus E-3 in the field!
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=25677397

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony RX1 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
I should have said, "Let's keep an open mind"

I read my title in my post and it sounded argumentative and generalized. Sorry about that.

Johann D
Johann D Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Re: E1 owners are blind to anything but E1...

I love my E1 so much that I have another in box in case this one has to go to Olympus for repair. That said, the E3 is a remarkable camera. It has a huge learning curve compared to the E1, but I have made some pix that are very E1 like. Seems to me that the WB doesn't function as well as on the E1 indoor available light, that is the E1 was almost P & S with WB. E3 seems more yellow/orange, but Expodisc fixes everything. I think though, the learning curve behind the new camera will be as any other...just getting used to it.

Huge learning curve...

I think if there is truly a white balance issue it can easily be fixed in a firmware upgrade. Supposedly they improved on the white balance from the E1. I guess we'll all have to get familiar with it to know for sure.

One question I have is whether E1 owners would trade their E1's in for an E3, straight up.

george_online Senior Member • Posts: 1,590
E1 updated firmware please

Rand47 wrote:

I updated my firmware in the E-1 today. First time I'd picked it up
since receiving my E-3 last week, and have not used it all that much
since I go the E-510 a while ago.

Can you post the latest firmware for E1 as I didn't updated it for 3 years.
Thanks, George

Henry Caron Veteran Member • Posts: 6,046
E1 trade for E3.

The image is everything may be to soon to judge the E3 but from what I have seen so far the E1 is a better camera for me.

Henry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads