18-200 VR Distortion?

Started Nov 19, 2007 | Discussions
chester0711 Regular Member • Posts: 143
18-200 VR Distortion?

Getting some bent horizon lines with my 18-200 VR.......any advice on how to correct this in post or a way to keep it from happening during shooting? It looks like a fisheye effect almost??? Any suggestions........

 chester0711's gear list:chester0711's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +3 more
Maike Contributing Member • Posts: 962
Re: 18-200 VR Distortion?

Well you're going to need some software. It's hard to know what to suggest, there are so many options. The ultimate is probably DxO Optics Pro as it's tuned to particular lens/camera combinations and automatically corrects depending on the focal length of the actual shot ( http://www.dxo.com ).

Rectilinear Panorama ( http://www.altostorm.com/products/ ) is another option that works differently but does a good job.

Also many of the editing software products like Photoshop CS3 have distortion correction filters you can use.

If you're looking for a free option, try this page here for a tutorial on how to do this with hugin (free software - has Windows version).

http://www.linux.com/articles/55174

or you might look at the Gimp free editor.

http://www.gimp.org/

I don't know for sure that it has a distortion filter but it's extremely full featured, so I would be surprised if it doesn't, or if there isn't an add-in available.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Chester0711 wrote:

Getting some bent horizon lines with my 18-200 VR.......any advice on
how to correct this in post or a way to keep it from happening during
shooting? It looks like a fisheye effect almost??? Any
suggestions........

Rick L Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: 18-200 VR Distortion?

I would second what's been said above, with this added issue. The 18-200 is particularly troublesome in that the distortion (if you look closely) is not as simple as most lenses at the wide end (e.g., getting more curve toward the edges in a continuous way), but is actually kind of "wavey". The only software that I know that really can take care of this is one modeled to the particular camera/lens combination, i.e. DXO. That's what I use, and it really improves the quality of this lens, including uneven sharpness issues as well that can't be addressed with simple sharpening filters. But it is another chunk of change, and many people hate the interface (maybe because it's different than they are used to, although I've gotten used to it and like it).

Rick
--
Rick L
http://www.pbase.com/ricklawrence/root

Maike Contributing Member • Posts: 962
Re: 18-200 VR Distortion?

Interesting points Rick. I've been experimenting with the DxO demo and have been very impressed (with 18-200). The $169 is like you say a "chunk of change" though. I'm waiting for it to go on sale

Mike

Rick L wrote:

I would second what's been said above, with this added issue. The
18-200 is particularly troublesome in that the distortion (if you
look closely) is not as simple as most lenses at the wide end (e.g.,
getting more curve toward the edges in a continuous way), but is
actually kind of "wavey". The only software that I know that really
can take care of this is one modeled to the particular camera/lens
combination, i.e. DXO. That's what I use, and it really improves the
quality of this lens, including uneven sharpness issues as well that
can't be addressed with simple sharpening filters. But it is another
chunk of change, and many people hate the interface (maybe because
it's different than they are used to, although I've gotten used to it
and like it).

Rick
--
Rick L
http://www.pbase.com/ricklawrence/root

OP chester0711 Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: 18-200 VR Distortion?

I appreciate the feedback, Unfortunately I figured this was going to cost another chunk of change (DxO is expensive!) I knew this was the only sure fix though.

I have CS3 ....I will give that a shot.

 chester0711's gear list:chester0711's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +3 more
Bruce Irschick
Bruce Irschick New Member • Posts: 23
Re: 18-200 VR Distortion? PTLens Plug-in?

Has anyone tried the PTLens plug-in? It's only $15.00 USD and I know it has a database of lenses. I just don't know if it handles the complexity of the 18-200 VR lens very well.

 Bruce Irschick's gear list:Bruce Irschick's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Maike Contributing Member • Posts: 962
Re: 18-200 VR Distortion?

Check out Ken Rockwell's suggestions for correcting the 18-200. I haven't had a chance to check if the numbers he uses are helpful, but it may give you a place to start.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200/18200-distortion.htm

Mike

Chester0711 wrote:

I appreciate the feedback, Unfortunately I figured this was going to
cost another chunk of change (DxO is expensive!) I knew this was the
only sure fix though.

I have CS3 ....I will give that a shot.

Maike Contributing Member • Posts: 962
Re: 18-200 VR Distortion? PTLens Plug-in?

I haven't tried it recently. I wasn't all that impressed with the last version I tried but it was a while back and it may have improved. The database seems pretty generic so it probably just corrects the general curvature, which you can do pretty well with the native CS3 filter.

Mike

Bruce Irschick wrote:

Has anyone tried the PTLens plug-in? It's only $15.00 USD and I know
it has a database of lenses. I just don't know if it handles the
complexity of the 18-200 VR lens very well.

Rick L Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: 18-200 VR Distortion?

Don't hold your breath for a sale, they are about to come out with a new version.

Rick
--
Rick L
http://www.pbase.com/ricklawrence/root

tunney Regular Member • Posts: 154
Re: 18-200 VR Distortion?

I just got back from Europe last month and used my D200 and 18-200 lens while on the trip. I got a lot of distortion especially when shooting buildings/churches. I easily corrected them in Adobe CS3, which has a lens correction filter.

-- hide signature --

Tunney

 tunney's gear list:tunney's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G
Wilfred Wong Contributing Member • Posts: 624
Re: 18-200 VR Distortion?

PTlens

Big Daddie Contributing Member • Posts: 936
Re: 18-200 VR Distortion?

If one subscribes to DxO's newsletter, eventually they get some coupon code for a small savings ($20-$30 usually).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads