E-3 IS rocks!

Started Nov 14, 2007 | Discussions
dgilder Regular Member • Posts: 162
E-3 IS rocks!

So got my E-3 and 12-60, and decided to see how well the I/S and high ISO works, the toughest shooting environment I could find in my house at the moment is the bathroom with only a small window with the blinds closed for light. 1/5 f3.3 @ ISO 3200 (42mm, 35mm equiv) and there is no visible shake at 100%!!

For giggles I shot the same with my 5D and 50mm 1.8 at 1/5 f3.2 @ ISO 3200 (50mm obviously) and you can see how much I normally shake, and this with a lens that is about two inches shorter than the 12-60 so should have less wobble.

And before anyone goes off, that this is a flawed comparison, can't really compare the cameras, etc,etc, yadda yadda yadda. Tomorrow I plan to take both cameras to the Texas State Capitol building and shoot the dome with both cameras, using a tripod and equivalent focal lengths to get the same magnification (10mp 4/3 vs 12mp FF). This will mainly be for fun, so don't bother starting an argument about comparing apples and oranges, I know, I'm just enjoying my new equipment.

RAW files straight from camera, JPEG full size converted in Photoshop from TIFFs created in PS and Oly Studio. I don't know for sure what Oly Studio applies when saving to RAW from TIFF, but the Noise filter was set to Low on the camera, so I'm guessing the JPEG might show what Low processing looks like, or maybe not, just grab the RAW file to see for yourself.

http://davidgilder.com/misc/E-3/P1010015.ORF
http://davidgilder.com/misc/E-3/P1010015.jpg
http://davidgilder.com/misc/E-3/_MG_0333.CR2
http://davidgilder.com/misc/E-3/_MG_0333.jpg

d j a
d j a Forum Member • Posts: 81
Re: E-3 IS rocks!

Have you noticed the LCD brightness will change from time to time? I also noticed the viewfinder info will sometimes disappear....Am I missing something?

OP dgilder Regular Member • Posts: 162

If I recall correctly, the E-3 is supposed to have a sensor that detects the level of ambient light and adjusts the LCD brightness accordingly to conserve power. Might be that you happend to point the sensor towards a bright light

OP dgilder Regular Member • Posts: 162

Oh, and as far as the viewfinder info goes, I haven't had a chance to play with it much, took some quick shots and stuck the battery on the charger.

rookie777 New Member • Posts: 7

There is a function for LCD brightness change according to light intensity of environments. when you turn off this function, you can get the stable brightness of LCD.

d j a

Is that LCD setting in the manual? I could have sworn I saw every page...maybe I missed it. I did see the LCD compensation mode, but thats supposed to boost the live view mode picture right?

Joesiv Veteran Member • Posts: 5,497

Cool, the IS definately seems to be working, thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to see some more of your pictures from tomorrow.
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Panasonic Lumix FZ50, Pentax *ist D
http://joesiv.smugmug.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
MarekB New Member • Posts: 10

Great!

Same ability (darken/lighten display in viewfinder) depending on ambient light have E1 too.

mfbernstein Veteran Member • Posts: 6,518

Nice comparison! We get to see IS and ISO 3200 at the same time. Been looking for samples like these for a while... Thanks.

rookie777 New Member • Posts: 7

on the page 100 - monitor brightness adjustment.

default setting is AUTO which the brightness changes along the surrounding brightness.

you can set manually from -7 to +7.

d j a

rookie777 wrote:

on the page 100 - monitor brightness adjustment.

default setting is AUTO which the brightness changes along the
surrounding brightness.

you can set manually from -7 to +7.

Perfect! Thanks a lot, I completely missed that before.
-dan

Jonathan Demarais Veteran Member • Posts: 3,607

Which Canon is in the right hand image?

Jonathan Demarais Veteran Member • Posts: 3,607

Jonathan Demarais wrote:

Which Canon is in the right hand image?

I should learn to read....5D!!

stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,219
I messed with it a little...

Cleans up really nice. Kind of like ISO 800 on the E500.

roducko Regular Member • Posts: 487
Re: I messed with it a little...
daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,670
I'm impressed with mine also, David!!

David,

You must be the David I met at Precision Camera today picking up our E-3's. I haven't had very much time to play with mine, but I agree that the IS really works well. It's amazing when you watch its effect in live view mode! There's a lot to learn about this camera, but I am already thrilled with what I've seen. As you are aware, I didn't spring for the 12-60mm like you, but with my 14-54mm it still focuses like lightening and I can seem to get it to miss focus, even in virtual darkness -- wow. This is going to be a fun camera. Look forward to seeing some of your images.

God Bless,
Greg
http://www.imagismphotos.com
http://www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
photo nuts Senior Member • Posts: 1,364
Has anyone tried it with a 50-200 lens, especially at the long end? Tks. /nt

no text

Medgyesi Regular Member • Posts: 208
Re: Has anyone tried it with a 50-200 lens, especially at the long end? Tks. /nt

I tried the 300mm (600mm) at 1/15th of a second, and the IS gave an acceptably sharp image.

mehrdad Contributing Member • Posts: 581

Nice test, looks like a good control over high ISO.
Would be interesting to have ISO6400 also while 3200 does a good job I suppose!

mehrdad's gear list:mehrdad's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +3 more
gabgon Regular Member • Posts: 235

I was wondering if aside from your e-3 and 12-60mm you also own an E-1 and 14-54mm and have compared AF speeds.

I'm interested to know if the E-1 benefits nicely from the 12-60mm, or if the E-3 with 14-54mm is just so much quicker than E-1 and 12-60mm.

I know the E-3 and 12-60mm are lightning quick, but since I will be ordering the E-3 and 12-60mm at different times, I'm wondering if I can live with the e-1 and 12-60mm for now. I can't afford both at the same time and since both my E-1s have so little use (3K and 5k shots) I rather hold on a little longer to them)

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

There's not 2 but 3 sides to every story. Theirs, yours, and what really happened.

gabgon's gear list:gabgon's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads