FYI - D3 & D300 reviewed in

Started Nov 12, 2007 | Discussions
OP no_eye_in_Nikon New Member • Posts: 10
Re: I think you put those scanning online may infringe the law of copyright!!

peterchew wrote:

Don't get mad, IThomas. From what you quoted, I cannot see why you
can say yes.

Anyway, I believed no_eye_in_Nikon understand this is just a
frendly remind. I do not know this reminder will upset so many people.

Peter Chew

I am hoping it is a friendly reminder

Seriously I do not wish to get into any copyright trouble and that is the reason that I removed the pictures.

I had a very honest intention of telling chaps and gals on this site of the only comprehensive review I've seen of the D3 and D300 (which is I am interested in). There are so many posts in this Forum on ISO this and AF that in regards to the D300, that my conclusion was unless a comprehensive review in a controlled environment is done then I am taking everything with a grain of salt.

So I came across this magazine and what I see makes me excited about my decision to buy the D300 and I simply wanted to share that information.

Perhaps once Phil does his review of the D300, people may arrive to the same excitement.

Cheers!!

Mr Steve Contributing Member • Posts: 882
Re: D3 and D2x comparison

I don't know if copying and distributing through the Internet the content you posted is 'fair use' or not. I suspect it may not be. But anyway, the OP might ask for permission to post the photos from the article. That would respect the authors of the article.

BTW, the OP is getting thanks for posting the 'information'. I don't see any information here. More like very general and subjective opinions that are relative to unknown personal standards of a less than a small handful of photographers. This isn't real information, is it?

Bas2
Bas2 Contributing Member • Posts: 592

Allright. someone bothers to share some very interesting information with us, be it from a few sources or whatever, it still is interesting to read.

Then one person shows he has an very law and order attitude, to the extent that it is out of context, and another one dismisses it because it doesn't fit his
definition of 'information'.

It could have been nicer and done in a way which would make more sense.

-- hide signature --

'I believe that beauty, harmony and tranquility are vital to us. Every drop of it can be an elixir for our wounds in our fight for survival'.

Andras Tamas

Bas2's gear list:Bas2's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II +1 more
ThomasMiller Senior Member • Posts: 2,735

So silly. Posting those scans for a day or two would not have done an ounce of harm. Would anyone here have NOT bought the Japanese magazine because they saw some scans? No one would have cared.

The fellow who complained...I bet HE got to see them.

Ahh well.

Thomas

Slough Senior Member • Posts: 1,809
Re: I think you put those scanning online may infringe the law of copyright!!

IThomas wrote:

Actually yes:

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use
of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies
or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for
purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching
(including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or
research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether
the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the
factors to be considered shall include —

Source: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

Next time a simple thanks will do (in regards to the op).

I am far from convinced. Posting a substantial amount of text from a magazine review will take away the incentive to buy the magazine. So they could well have reason to sue. I doubt that posting online comes under the teaching in a classroom etc provisions.

Save your prattle for another thread, Peter.

Learn some manners.

Radu Tenenbaum
Radu Tenenbaum Senior Member • Posts: 2,904
You forget that DPReview is a commercial site ...

...that would potentially benefit financially from having the material on its site.

-- hide signature --
 Radu Tenenbaum's gear list:Radu Tenenbaum's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +7 more
Michael Oersigh Senior Member • Posts: 2,098
Re: You forget that DPReview is a commercial site ...

Individual 's copyright is a diffent matter. Not sure how copyright from a Jpanese magazine affects users or the hosting site. You can post but if you make a habit of it then the relevant authorities could well come after you..could not would.

Mike

Michael Oersigh's gear list:Michael Oersigh's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC
Higuma Veteran Member • Posts: 4,418
Here you go - I scanned them 4 you...

Sorry if this upsets the forum police too much - For the good of the community and no personal gain - have a go at them...

I am posting the most relevant - essentially of comparison photos of D3 vs D300 vs D2Xs vs D200 for overall IQ and noise...

Realize though that these are scans and are not as definitive as the magazine itself - which isn't definitive by nature anyways...

NOTE - - - By no means are these meant to circumnavigate the lengthy and meaningful tests that I am sure that Phil may be accomplishing at this very moment - No one should take any reliance in these scans - I suggest that you either wait for Phil's in depth review or rent / buy / borrow the cameras and form your own opinions...

Here's the pseudo legalities - - the posted scans are Copyright property of Impress Japan Corporation, an Impress Group company. All rights reserved. These scans are posted for the benefit of people who have no ability to either purchase or subscribe to this magazine because of geographic location. If you do have the opportunity to buy this magazine - please do so - it's a great magazine with very worthwhile articles...

These scans are from the August edition of "Digital Camera Magazine"... there are other magazines with other more current tests that IO may scan and post later... These should get you started...

Scans in response to follow - caution large files...

Cheers...

Pictures - CAUTION - largish files...

Overall IQ comparison

Noise comparisons - - in the higher ISO pics the LH pic is "no NR" and "NR on" in the RH shot...

Cheers...

ThomasMiller Senior Member • Posts: 2,735
Re: Pictures - CAUTION - largish files...

Thanks for the scans!

D300 please hurry!

Thomas

puddleduck Senior Member • Posts: 2,513
Re: Here you go - I scanned them 4 you...

Thanks

-- hide signature --
Addendum...

I was looking at the wrong Photo magazine laying here on my desk when I was typing the above post...

These scans are from the November edition of "Digital Photo" magazine... My bad for rushing...

Cheers...

OP no_eye_in_Nikon New Member • Posts: 10

Higuma wrote:

For the good of the
community and no personal gain

My original goal.

No one should take any reliance in these scans - I
suggest that you either wait for Phil's in depth review or rent / buy
/ borrow the cameras and form your own opinions...

Exactly; personally I am satisfied with what I have seen and I can't wait to have my D300 on 11/23.

If you do have the opportunity to buy
this magazine - please do so - it's a great magazine with very
worthwhile articles...

It is by far one of the best looking Photo magazines with tons of articles and features. It is shame that I cannot read Japanese

Scans in response to follow - caution large files...

Cheers...

Thanks for doing it.

Bas2
Bas2 Contributing Member • Posts: 592

Thanks! Interesting to see that the d300 is remarkably sharper then the d200 in the pictures of the girl.
--

'I believe that beauty, harmony and tranquility are vital to us. Every drop of it can be an elixir for our wounds in our fight for survival'.

Andras Tamas

Bas2's gear list:Bas2's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II +1 more
rbmphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,728
Re: I was surprised by two things:

How much more apparent detail the D300 showed than either the D2X or D200, and how close the D3 and D300 are at the lower and of the ISO scale.

Am I missing something?

Not too far off...

Here's what I see looking at the photos in the mag...

At lower ISO - up to 800 - and with the NR "off" the D3 and 300 don't look too far apart - after that it is night and day with the 25,600 on the D3 looking quite similar to the d300 at 1600 with NR off... ( 3 stops )

With the NR "engaged" on both cameras the D3's ISO 12,800 is as clean as the d300's 800... again just what my eyes are telling me - Phil's tests will be more conclusive... ( 4 stops )

It does almost seem as though the D3's 800 is NO different than it's 6400...

MOST important in my mind is that the D300 has a much brighter tone curve than the D200 by about a full stop I think - - testing will prove this out but I think that it is a step in the right direction - - I almost ALWAYS need to do a curves / levels adjustment on almost any 200 file... I take this as possibly the greatest improvement in the D200's evolutionary path for a REAL improvement in IQ because it gives the D300 files a better place to start with - - regardless of shooting RAW I want to see a file exposed less than 1/3 of a stop from a highlight clip...

Cheers...

wrxfreak2000 Junior Member • Posts: 25
Lost of details in D300 if NR is applied at ISO 1600 (nt)

no text

rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,859
agreed

Yes, I agree, D3 and D300 pretty close in detail in low iso. D200 may have lower sharpening settings.

I have commented on some posts, like the gray scale comp (d200 x D300) and also on the other comparison (watch, toy car, wooden egg, etc), that D300 would be much better than D200, the DR was clearly much better, as well as detail (clock, for example). Many disagreed, commenting mostly on noise.

IQ is much more than noise, and people will see this as more and more tests of D300 show up. D300 looks like a winner to me (and I'm not a purchaser now).

Regards.

rbmphoto wrote:

How much more apparent detail the D300 showed than either the D2X or
D200, and how close the D3 and D300 are at the lower and of the ISO
scale.

Am I missing something?

-- hide signature --

rhlpetrus
equipment in profile

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,859
Re: Not too far off...

I understand your last comments as saying that DR is much better on D300, right?

Tks, Renato.

Higuma wrote:

MOST important in my mind is that the D300 has a much brighter tone
curve than the D200 by about a full stop I think - - testing will
prove this out but I think that it is a step in the right direction -

• I almost ALWAYS need to do a curves / levels adjustment on almost

any 200 file... I take this as possibly the greatest improvement in
the D200's evolutionary path for a REAL improvement in IQ because it
gives the D300 files a better place to start with - - regardless of
shooting RAW I want to see a file exposed less than 1/3 of a stop
from a highlight clip...

Cheers...

-- hide signature --

rhlpetrus
equipment in profile

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
ohmydentist Senior Member • Posts: 1,933
I don't get that kinda high iso pics from my D200

Thanks Higuma for posting the scans.

I know pros with god's hand did the testing, and I'm just a lowly hobbyst, But still, I simply don't that kind of high iso pics from my D200. The iso3200 sample looks like my iso800 ones. Hehe

Seriously, d300 sample appears to have same high iso noise as D200, but more detail.

-- hide signature --

^ ^

Just Shoot !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads