CHDK firmware add-on discussion (21)

Started Nov 10, 2007 | Discussions
zdravko Junior Member • Posts: 48
CHDK firmware add-on discussion (21)

This is a sequel to the old threads discussing the CHDK firmware add-on. CHDK is a firmware enhancement that operates on a number of DIGIC II and DIGIC III cameras. Currently supported DIGIC II cameras are A610, A620, A630, A640, A710 IS, S2 IS and S3 IS. For now the supported DIGIC III cameras are G7 and A570, but there are attempts to port CHDK to G9 and S5 IS too. (See the FAQ for a complete list).

The CHDK firmware add-on implements new features like RAW, battery indicator, live histogram (RGB/luminance), zebra mode (blinking areas of over- underexposure), DOF calculator, scripts (intervalometer, exposure/focus ... bracketing etc.), text reader, file browser, calendar, games and much more. There are now several different builds, implementing features assisting taking 3D-Stereo photos, motion detection, remote triggered shooting etc. New features get implemented frequently, so check the timeline for the latest changes, or the FAQ for a complete list.

The CHDK firmware add-on does not touch the original firmware of your camera. It is an additional program which gets loaded into the memory of the camera. If you have a problem, just turn your camera off or remove the batteries, and the CHDK add-on is gone!

For further information, a guide, download links and FAQ see the English WIKI:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Timeline:
http://tools.assembla.com/chdk/timeline

Dear Vitalyb, GrAnd and all the others: Thank you so much for creating this wonderful piece of software!
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:THANKS
Some screenshots:

Main menu

Histogram (Blended) and Zebra overexposure indicator

Script menu

Link to the previous thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&message=25369732

Abana Senior Member • Posts: 1,603
Re: G7 CHDK...

Still using the G7 CHDK. I have it loaded on all of my (five) 2GB cards. If the camera is on, the CHDK is loaded. I love it and don't know how I ever went without :)...

I'm using pre14 #148. Is there a more recent build, and does it offer greater improvement over #148?

The wiki downloads page ( http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads ) has SDM_MX3_G7_1.00I, but no build# (but is the right fw ver).

I also found the G7 CHDK from the Russian site: http://babelfish.altavista.com/ ... ...ttp%3A%2F%2Fewavr.nm.ru%2Fchdk%2Fg7.htm

But still no build#.

Also, with #148, I have been leaving NR (in RAW Parameters) set to OFF, as this seems to provide better IQ and less noise, as this thread discusses:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=25414401

Any comments on this, and are others setting NR to OFF? Does this issue change in later builds (if they exist)?

Thanks again to the guys who have developed this!

abana

TapouT Regular Member • Posts: 227

Wow I just bought a G5is and that sounds awsome! I would love to have this for my camera. How do I find out who is developing it, I would pay to have it for my camera.

Thanks for adding this page, I'll be watching out for the S5is to get up and going.

Divalent Forum Member • Posts: 99
S5 chdk...

TapouT wrote:

Wow I just bought a G5is and that sounds awsome! I would love to
have this for my camera. How do I find out who is developing it, I
would pay to have it for my camera.

Thanks for adding this page, I'll be watching out for the S5is to get
up and going.

Check out this thread on the S5 porting process. There was some activity as recently as 11 days ago, but the person trying to do the firmware dump has not posted an update since then.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=24983823

Also, keep your fingers crossed about what OS the camera uses. A FW dump of the A720 (canon released that in Aug 07) reveal a different OS from all the other cameras that were previously ported, so porting that camera will be much more difficult. (The S5 was released several months earlier, so perhaps it will be the old OS.)

Ruud Westerhout Regular Member • Posts: 433
General CHDK questions

Hi all,

please allow me to ask a few simple things.

I need a very light camera for Aerial Photography and very much like the options CHDK offers. I want to make 100% sure that CHDK will work, before I run to the shop and get my choice.

Am I correct in the following :

If A560 is supported from 1.00a, can I get ANY A560 available in the shop and it will work ? (I am ready to eventually downgrade the FW if this is becessary / possible)

If I want to have IS, I should better take the 710IS as the 570IS seems to give some problems yet ?

Regards,

Ruud

-- hide signature --

Ruud Westerhout's gear list:Ruud Westerhout's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +9 more
Re: General CHDK questions

My suggestion would be to prepare a memory card to allow you to check the firmware version of the exact unit you want to buy. That information is in the CHDK FAQ. (Here's a link for what you have to do:)

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._How_can_I_get_the_original_firmware_version_number_of_my_camera.3F

Better yet, load CHDK for that camera on to the card and see if it boots up. (Even better still would be to load CHDK on a 2nd card, and do both things).

The problem might be that the demo unit at the store has a different FW version than the one in the box, so let them know you want to check the actual camera before you leave. (bring your own batteries too)

And make sure you know how to boot it off the card. (you must start the camera directly into playback mode).

good luck

Ruud Westerhout wrote:

Hi all,

please allow me to ask a few simple things.
I need a very light camera for Aerial Photography and very much like
the options CHDK offers. I want to make 100% sure that CHDK will
work, before I run to the shop and get my choice.

Am I correct in the following :
If A560 is supported from 1.00a, can I get ANY A560 available in the
shop and it will work ? (I am ready to eventually downgrade the FW if
this is becessary / possible)

If I want to have IS, I should better take the 710IS as the 570IS
seems to give some problems yet ?

Regards,

Ruud

ericN2
ericN2 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,113
A dummy speaks ..

Heck - I've done this on my G7 but I'm damned if I can make any sense as yet of what now seems available for my SD700 (Ixus800). I've made a ver.req file and that checks the camera OK as having the right Firmware ver 1.01, with correct date & time ... but when I d/load the Firmware zip and unzip it .. I don't get the two files as I got for the G7 .. I get a single file with extension .fir .. and my computer just tells me it doesn't know what to do with it.
Where do I get the two files similar to what I did the G7 with ??
Anybody explain to me please ??

-- hide signature --

eric-UK

an idiot replies... :)

Actually Eric, I think you downloaded the firmware dump (i.e., a copy of the native firmware from the camera). AFAIK, the SD700 has not yet been ported. (Care to take a stab at it?) Basically, someone (you?) has to go through the firmware and finds all the key locations for different routines in order to build a version that runs on this model.

In short (and this is probably more information than you asked for; and it is also coming from someone who has never actually done it, so it may not be accurate) the milestones in porting CHDK to a new model are:
1- get the camera to somehow respond to something on the card.

2- using the process that got you step 1, and some mediumly complex electronics, (and a bit of luck and late night futzing) read out a copy of the existing firmware (e.g., dump the firmware).
3- analyze the firmware, find out where key routines are.
4- modify the source code to add the locations of these key routines
5- compile the software.

SD-700 has only gotten to stage 2. (a place where a lot of other camera's seem to be stuck. See the table on the "For Developers" page)

ericN2 wrote:

Heck - I've done this on my G7 but I'm damned if I can make any sense
as yet of what now seems available for my SD700 (Ixus800). I've made
a ver.req file and that checks the camera OK as having the right
Firmware ver 1.01, with correct date & time ... but when I d/load the
Firmware zip and unzip it .. I don't get the two files as I got for
the G7 .. I get a single file with extension .fir .. and my computer
just tells me it doesn't know what to do with it.
Where do I get the two files similar to what I did the G7 with ??
Anybody explain to me please ??

ericN2
ericN2 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,113
Re: an idiot replies... :)

Div -
Thank you ... and goodbye !! ...

Actually I did find whatever prog I could muster, to actually get a read-out of that .fir file .. and when I did .. I was none the wiser !!

It listed it .. and a few parts WERE readable , but obviously NOT the right one to do THAT job , so I just gave up at that point.

I think my mind had already come to the conclusion you confirmed - that this is just a working starter .. so in which case I doubt if I shall worry about it further - just enjoy the fruits of the camera "as is" - after all .. it ISN'T a G7 .. just a nice happy-go-lucky cam that actually produces a marvelleous pic !!

Enjoy it as it comes - I think I'll give my brains a rest, thanks anyway

-- hide signature --

eric-UK

Deluc New Member • Posts: 2

I answered to your first question (the SDM MX3 woks well for G71.00I) in a post
about basic scripts for G7.If someone would copy this answer here?

GrAnd Regular Member • Posts: 325
A570 IS 1.01a firmware dump

Where I can download the dump of this version (for my small collection )?

mkmenuts Junior Member • Posts: 35
Optimizing Dynamic Range with CHDK

I was thinking of using the live histogram in a script to better use the camera sensor.

The idea is to sense the distance in EV between the Y-RGB highest value to the max-value and using that to move the EV correction. This will "push" the histogram to the right (just short of over-exposure) and get better details (after proper post-processing, of course).

I got the idea here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

Any ideas on doing that with current CHDK? Is it possible via a small addition?

Thanks!

Clive666 New Member • Posts: 9
Re: A570 IS 1.01a firmware dump

GrAnd wrote:

Where I can download the dump of this version (for my small
collection )?

Hi GrAnd

If we can get it, with your help and/or guidance I would like to work on it since my new camera is 1.01a. I had forgotten (toooo many pages - toooo much information) that someone had managed to dump it.

I have gone through some of the other cameras and I think I'm starting to get it.

Cheers

Clive

Clive,

You don't need to work on it. Apparently it was already ported! Go to the CHDK wiki and download it!

Clive666 wrote:

GrAnd wrote:

collection )?

Hi GrAnd

If we can get it, with your help and/or guidance I would like to work
on it since my new camera is 1.01a. I had forgotten (toooo many
pages - toooo much information) that someone had managed to dump it.

I have gone through some of the other cameras and I think I'm
starting to get it.

Cheers

Clive

Yes. We already have the port. But I don't have the dump on which the port is based. The dump can be useful for other developers, if they use any additional functions from the firmware.

Divalent wrote:
Clive,

You don't need to work on it. Apparently it was already ported! Go
to the CHDK wiki and download it!

Clive666 wrote:

GrAnd wrote:

collection )?

Hi GrAnd

If we can get it, with your help and/or guidance I would like to work
on it since my new camera is 1.01a.

microfunguy Regular Member • Posts: 234
Re: SDM supporting all current features

microfunguy wrote:

Does it work with Grand's version ?

Kaplaucius wrote:
Yes, it does.

Hmmm ... you are right and it must affect all camera models.

I will have to check if it ever worked.

In theory it should be simple to fix but I cannot see the reason at present.

David

RamboJohny New Member • Posts: 9
A540

Please please pleassssseee

Could we start to work on A540?
I have a dump, what to do with it?

BR
--
-RJ

rossig Junior Member • Posts: 49

Hi Grand,

look in Your mailbox .....

rossig wrote:

Hi Grand,

look in Your mailbox .....

Thanks. I've got it.

Clive666 New Member • Posts: 9

Wow!!

I don't know how I missed that. I've been waiting for that - off to try it out. I'll let the group know how it goes.
Thanks to everyone who worked on it!
Cheers
Clive

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads