350D dead?

Started Oct 23, 2007 | Discussions
enak12 Forum Member • Posts: 65
350D dead?

Ok today my 350D won't turn on. Yesterday while using it it was playing up by freezing up during use. This happened several of times and was fixed by either turning it off then back on or removing the battery and putting it back in. Today the same thing happened but none of these procedures worked anymore. So I tried a different battery then a different memory card, then recharged both batteries and tried them but nothing .

I noticed The CF light doesn't even blink when turned on so I'm thinking it may have something to do with the battery terminal? Has anyone else had these problems?

I still have the camera under an extended warranty so will get it looked at soon. Its 1.3 years old.
--
My website:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/enak12

dave connor New Member • Posts: 1
Re: 350D dead?

Can you believe it? Went to Skye last week. The light was appalling mostly so we took a few shots until Thursday. The sun shone that morning but our 350d failed to turn on in the self-same way as your very own. After the routine battery/card changes we concluded that it was dead. Just as yours fails to, our CF indicator fails to flicker as you insert the card leaving one convinced of its new role as a paper-weight.

It will have to go in for repair as we didn't get an extended warranty and it's at least 2 years old.

Can you let me know how you got on with your repair?

Good luck,

Dave

JohnB47 Regular Member • Posts: 430

Hi.

A previous poster gave the following sequence as a possible cure for lockups etc. I know that this worked for at least one person. You need to follow the sequence to the letter. Worth a try.

1.) Turn off the camera.
2.) Remove both camera batteries.
3.) Close battery cover.
4.) Turn on/off switch to "On".
5.) Let camera sit for at least 15 seconds.
6.) Turn on/off switch to "Off".
7.) Re-install both batteries and turn camera on.

-- hide signature --

JohnB47

michaeldixon
michaeldixon Forum Member • Posts: 88

have seen the same thing on 300Ds (and have repaired one myself as it was out of warranty). In my case, it was the CF card that started the problem and it ends up blowing a power fuse in the camera. The same CF card went on to do the same thing to another brand new 350D, so I would suggest not using the cards anymore. I have more details on http://www.michaeljdixon.co.uk (you might have to roam around a bit as we're re-hashing the menus, but there's a page in there about the fault0.

Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,596
michaeldixon

Can't find it on your site. What brand/model CF card made the trouble?

michaeldixon wrote:

have seen the same thing on 300Ds (and have repaired one myself as it
was out of warranty). In my case, it was the CF card that started the
problem and it ends up blowing a power fuse in the camera. The same
CF card went on to do the same thing to another brand new 350D, so I
would suggest not using the cards anymore. I have more details on
http://www.michaeljdixon.co.uk (you might have to roam around a bit as we're
re-hashing the menus, but there's a page in there about the fault0.

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
michaeldixon
canon 300D repair page

Sorry, the page is under "Chapter 1" on the main menu bar, and it's called Canon 300 repair. Chapter 1 actually refers to my new novel...like i said we're re-hashing the menus.

Can't remember the make of CF card, it just went straight in the round file, but it was a 128 mb and it wasn't a big brand (sanddisc or bytestor). The only fore-warning was that we couldn't review pictures on the camera, and then they wouldn't download via a card reader. We re-formatted on the computer, put it back in the camera, and the camera went dead. (and so did another new one, later).

More recently, we had a another 128 card that didn't show the picture on the screen immediately after taking it, and showed this fault on both a 300 and a 350. It was working in every other respect but it was binned immediately.

Other people have fixed cameras by linking across the blown fuse: I chose to do the extra work and put a new fuse in because if it's happened once it can happen again, and the cameras are good in every other respect.

My own preference now is to have lots of small cards, well known brands, and to chuck them if there is ANY suspicion. My usage may be abnormal: I do a lot of horse trials, and the cards get taken in and out quite a lot. By the same token, I buy card readers dedicated to CF cards (so the slide rails may be better?) and replace them every few months.

http://www.michaeljdixon.co.uk and canon300d repair under the main menu heading "chapter 1"

dknapp New Member • Posts: 2
Re: canon 300D repair page

I am thinking of buying a used 300D. IF I were to encounter the blown fuse problem, how would I go about replacing it? I suspect mailing it off to Canon repair would be the best thing, but would problbly also cost more than a used body is worth.

michaeldixon
canon 300D repair...more details coming

Tools needed are small screwdrivers, tweezers, pliers, a fine tipped soldering iron and (depending on your age) a magnifying glass. Also a basic multimeter. Some of the details are on my photography pages (linked half way down the home page on http://www.michaeljdixon.co.uk ). I'm working on another web page showing where the slightly awkward screws are, and what order to take them out in. I'll try to put it up tomorrow. The repair takes 1-2 hours.
I'm sure its not worthwhile sending them back to Canon now.
--
mike@michaeljdixon.co.uk

slowhands Veteran Member • Posts: 5,470
Mine died last weeked too

Time to research symptoms and see if I can resurrect my black-body XT

slowhands's gear list:slowhands's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D
Bill Ko Senior Member • Posts: 1,138

Anyone thought about the old CF door issue yet, where failure of the camera to sense that the door was closed would keep it from functioning? Hope this helps.

Borriss Regular Member • Posts: 320
Re: Mine died last weeked too

Did you try to replace the inner tablet style battery?

Khane Regular Member • Posts: 403

I agree with borriss; replace the little 'cookie' battery. If that doesn't work, it's probably a "door problem." My XT was having the hiccups so I just removed the 'cookie' battery and it was fine.

Borriss wrote:

Did you try to replace the inner tablet style battery?

-- hide signature --

http://flickr.com/photos/ascirc
(Kelly Denker...call me KD if you want)

slowhands Veteran Member • Posts: 5,470

I actually have(had) 2 identical 350/XT's (one silver, one black but I'm color bliond - LOL)...and battery swaps of both the big and the button with known good, leaving batteryless for 48+hours before replacing batteries, etc. no go.

Luckilly we do have an excellent local camera repair guy who now has said body in shop, and will either repair for a REASONABLE fee, or declare it dead at no charge.

Although I have no qualms about opening and attempting the troubleshooting, I feel supporting a VALUABLE local asset such as his business is important, so he gets the work, and I rely on the other 350/XT and a 40d

slowhands's gear list:slowhands's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D
carkiffer New Member • Posts: 1

Happened the same with me...the ground was my tool after this process not work...now, it lies broken in HELL!!!

MOD Olga Johnson Forum Pro • Posts: 23,319

carkiffer wrote:

Happened the same with me...the ground was my tool after this process not work...now, it lies broken in HELL!!!

This thread is over 3 years old.  Bringing it to life will not help you.  If you need help, please post a new thread.

-- hide signature --

--

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon G3 X Canon EOS M +14 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,160

Olga Johnson wrote:

carkiffer wrote:

This thread is over 3 years old. Bringing it to life will not help you. If you need help, please post a new thread.

I think he needs help but not with his camera.

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads