Infrared conversion

Started Oct 20, 2007 | Discussions
jejad Regular Member • Posts: 141
Infrared conversion

This is about the D70, but before I'm jumped on about the wrong forum, I think the D70 users are all upgraded here and the other forum is mostly D40,50,80.

I've read recently about converting The D70, etc. to infrared. My question is: what is the need to, based upon using a filter and adjusting white balance as I have been doing on my old D70. Seems to work fine that way.
Jim

nikon_darrel Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: Infrared conversion

I got my D70s converted about 6 weeks ago and I love it. Several reasons prompted this. I wanted to be able to hand hold the camera while shooting. The ability to view through the viewfinder is a big plus and I am able to use all of my lenses without having a filter for each lens.

My conversion was done by Lifepixel.com and I highly recommend them. You can see some of my work at http://www.pbase.com/digital_darrel

Darrel
--
Take only photographs
Leave only footprints
http://www.pbase.com/digital_darrel

vanillastring Regular Member • Posts: 323

Darrel,

Your Infrared photos are impressive. I've taken a bunch of photos with the D70+Hoya filter and while I'm happy with some of them, I don't file the results consistent. Some are too noisy, some just didn't come out right. I've heard about LifePixel but didn't give it much thought. Your comment made me realize the real benefits - looking through the lens, different lenses, etc. I'll need to look into that seriously.

My infrared gallery: http://alekbiotic.gallerama.com/gallery/391

Thanks,
Alex

Alex that for the comments. I find exposure difficult and must bracket. I have some RAW file that I will play with when time permits. My post processing is very simple posting saturation and contrast.

Darrel

-- hide signature --

Take only photographs
Leave only footprints

ausphoto New Member • Posts: 16

I recently bought a d70 already converted off ebay. I have found 0.3 to 1.7 stops over exposure on top of the metered reading gives me good results. I take the white balance off grass. I have had some very good results as a beginner to IR in black and white, (am waiting for a copy of cs3 for the channel swap). The person I bought my d70 off regularly has newly converted cameras, he is based some where in the US.

I Beam Veteran Member • Posts: 3,349

I too have a D70 which I don't use much and have thought of converting. Because of where I live I don't think I could get it done professionally. To do it one's self looks a bit difficult. See here:

http://www.pbase.com/deadpixel/ir_d70_mod_process

This is the write up:

http://www.irphotography.org/index.ir?showtopic=248

Regards

Paul

OP jejad Regular Member • Posts: 141

I probably didn't state my question clearly.

Why bother to convert if you can get the same result by just using a filter like the R72, and adjust the white alance with this filter on?
Jim

ausphoto New Member • Posts: 16

The converted camera allows you to use the camera as you would normally, usually including focusing. Mine has had the focus adjusted for IR and has been accurate with my lenses. I also understand that exposure times are a lot shorter (I havent used a filter to confirm this).

Bobby Handal
Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,508

you must use a tripod with a IR filter in front of your camera, if you are not using a tripod that means that you are pumping up the ISO very high, yielding grain and uglies.

The IR filter is almost black, therefore you must focus before you screw on.

Not only that, but once on the tripod and your very slow shutter speeds don't give you much flexibility.

With a converted Dslr you can use the camera normal, no tripod, no slow shutter speeds, no filters to unscrew and screw, etc etc. - your creativity to the max.

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Ricoh WG-M1 Nikon Coolpix AW130 Nikon Coolpix P900 +66 more
Alberto Tanikawa
Alberto Tanikawa Senior Member • Posts: 1,911

The converted camera will give you better results, always. You can use lower ISOs, MUCH faster shutter speeds, and you can see and track your MOVING subject through the viewfinder. Adding a filter in front of the lens will not make the camera more sensitive to infrared because the internal AA filter still blocks most of the infrared from reaching the sensor. I've used a B+W 092 and Hoya R72 in my Olympus E-10 and D100 cameras, and the long shutter speeds needed tied me to a tripod, and narrowed my options.

-- hide signature --

Alberto T., PPA

Alberto Tanikawa's gear list:Alberto Tanikawa's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +12 more
DeenaB New Member • Posts: 12

I just posted a similar question in the D70 forum but it follows here.

I am leaning toward converting my D70s but have two remaining things that bug me about conversion.

One is that I really like the photos I see where people combine non-IR images and IR images in post-processing.

The second is that my choices are reduced. I have to basically choose one filter (and maybe get a second choice for a deep b+w by adding a filter on the converted camera, right?

I'd also like to understand whether hot spots are a non-issue with converted cameras vs not because I'd like to use my regular lenses with the converted camera. Specifically, I'd like to use the 18-200mm VR Nikkor (anyone ever used that for IR?)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Bill Moss Senior Member • Posts: 1,651

What does "focus adjusted for IR" mean? I just ordered the IR glass from Lifepixel and am going to do the conversion myself on my D100, but I don't know about the focus adjustment.

ausphoto wrote:

The converted camera allows you to use the camera as you would
normally, usually including focusing. Mine has had the focus
adjusted for IR and has been accurate with my lenses. I also
understand that exposure times are a lot shorter (I havent used a
filter to confirm this).

Bobby Handal

I have not seen people combining non-IR with IR photos, I think they are just IR photos that have different Photoshop settings for a pseudo IR/color look.

Choices reduced? I don't understand what you mean. You put an IR filter inside the camera, this will change everything, including any other filters that you may want to put in front of the camera.

For example, a person with dark sunglasses, will photograph as if it has a clear lens on, the same with tinted car windows (some at least).

HOT SPOTS:

It is a hit and miss, some lenses have it some don't. I have been lucky and only one lens of mine has it , the 85mm .

My 18-200 Nikkor works great.

Best regards.

DeenaB wrote:

I just posted a similar question in the D70 forum but it follows here.

I am leaning toward converting my D70s but have two remaining things
that bug me about conversion.

One is that I really like the photos I see where people combine
non-IR images and IR images in post-processing.

The second is that my choices are reduced. I have to basically choose
one filter (and maybe get a second choice for a deep b+w by adding a
filter on the converted camera, right?

I'd also like to understand whether hot spots are a non-issue with
converted cameras vs not because I'd like to use my regular lenses
with the converted camera. Specifically, I'd like to use the 18-200mm
VR Nikkor (anyone ever used that for IR?)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Ricoh WG-M1 Nikon Coolpix AW130 Nikon Coolpix P900 +66 more
Bobby Handal
Re: Infrared conversion focus correction

Since infrared is another "plane" and most lenses now do not come with a red dot that is for the focus compensation, one most rely most of all in deph of field and focal length to compensate for the slight focus shift that occurs.

In wide angles you probably will not notice it that much but on the tele side you might. That is why you can modify your focus in the camera to compensate this, if it fact it troubles you or if you find that a lot of photos from your converted camera are soft.

Here is the site that tells you how:
http://www.leongoodman.com/d70focus.html

Best luck and regards.

Bill Moss wrote:
What does "focus adjusted for IR" mean? I just ordered the IR glass
from Lifepixel and am going to do the conversion myself on my D100,
but I don't know about the focus adjustment.

ausphoto wrote:

The converted camera allows you to use the camera as you would
normally, usually including focusing. Mine has had the focus
adjusted for IR and has been accurate with my lenses. I also
understand that exposure times are a lot shorter (I havent used a
filter to confirm this).

Alex,

Thanks for your comment. I find I must bracket to get the best exposure, the best exposure varies from scene to scene. Besides the ability to use different lenses the best benefit IMHO is the ability to shoot without a tripod.

I really enjoyed your gallery, particularly the bridge images.

Darrel

-- hide signature --

Take only photographs
Leave only footprints

vanillastring wrote:

Darrel,

Your Infrared photos are impressive. I've taken a bunch of photos
with the D70+Hoya filter and while I'm happy with some of them, I
don't file the results consistent. Some are too noisy, some just
didn't come out right. I've heard about LifePixel but didn't give
it much thought. Your comment made me realize the real benefits -